VST-Plugins with MPE support!

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi this topic is for you to write all VST plugins with MPE support to be able to use bitwigs expression like pressure or pitchbend per note.

Write Plugin and supported MPE function...

U-he Hive - Pressure but not pitchbend per midi.

PS no conversations just plugin info please! :tu: :phones:
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Hive, does have poly pitchbend, its all done via VpC (see below), which means in BWS you get poly pressure and PB, but not Y axis as it cannot use CC74, only CC1 and 9.

anyway ,this is not an exhaustive list, more the ones I use, ( :party: = ones I use most)
but before we start we should group into categories
(I've also included hardware/daw etc as its a small addition)

MPE - fully supports MPE ( or at least notionally, including PB range)
MPE compatible - actually really this is 'continuum' mode, polyphonic x/y/z via Ch Pres, CC74, PB, may need configuring/scripts etc, not 'automatic'
Voice per channel - polyphonic x/y/z but uses different CCs etc
Multitimbral - any of these can be used 'as' voice per channel, but some are easier than others, due to how parts can be duplicated/linked etc (Im not going to list)

MPE
====
Axoloti (hardware) :party:
Madrona Labs Aalto :party:
Madrona Labs Kaivo
* not quite, but fully yet

MPE Compatible
==============
NI Reaktor :party:
UVI Falcon :party:
PPG Wavegenerator / Wavemapper
FXP Strobe 2
Max/MSP
Oscillot (M4L)

Voice Per Channel *
===============
U-he Bazille
U-he ACE :party:
U-he Diva :party:
U-he Hive
Logic Pro X (various inbuilt synths)

*bitwig MPE does NOT support VpC yet, a 'glaring omission', Ive requested from BW many times, that MPE mode should allow configurable CC's to allow for VpC. also BW goes not support MPE in hardware device yet.

Im sure I have more... when I get back to my Mac, I'll see if Ive obviously forgotten something :)

Bump. Any updated plugin information with MPE support?

The ones I have thy work pretty well are:
-Poly-Ana
-Omnisphere (just need to copy from the first instrument slot)
-Synthmaster
-Reaktor blocks (but need separate signal chain for every voice)
-Kontakt (but must duplicate instruments within Kontakt)

Of the above, only synthmaster can be used in mono mode. And for the others, when playing polyphonically, it's important to set each voice to mono or else you could have different voice expression treated the same if the notes don't overlap because Bitwig doesn't store the midi channel with the note so it can screw things up. Long story but I've written about it at length before. Falcon is actually the only one whose poly mode works with Bitwig completely. It somehow keeps the voices separate even if Bitwig sends some notes on the same channels when notes don't overlap. However falcon can't be used in mono with MPE like synthmaster.

Also - now with the midi channel filter, you could make a multi instrument MPE group device from any plugin that has 48 note pitch bend. Such as Dune CM for example.

Edit: nope Bitwig’s midi channel filter turned out not to do anything or even to end up existing.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm looking for freeware plugins that support MPE. Am I too soon?

There was a beat magazine free version of Aalto, not sure if it's still available...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:There was a beat magazine free version of Aalto, not sure if it's still available...
No good with Bitwig though because it doesn't do 48 bend range, only 34 up and down. That's the second major issue of Bitwig's MPE implementation, aside from not recording the midi channel if the notes. They don't let you change the bend range that is expected. I can't totally blame them since 48 is in the MPE spec, but it sure would make things much easier wth many synths. And other DAWs let you change this.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
SLiC wrote:There was a beat magazine free version of Aalto, not sure if it's still available...
No good with Bitwig though because it doesn't do 48 bend range, only 34 up and down. That's the second major issue of Bitwig's MPE implementation, aside from not recording the midi channel if the notes. They don't let you change the bend range that is expected. I can't totally blame them since 48 is in the MPE spec, but it sure would make things much easier wth many synths. And other DAWs let you change this.
I litteraly just got a linnstrument 128 today so haven't really had time to work out the issues and limitations - the only VST for we that just worked with full expression was Falcon (special MPE presets with Bitwig in force MPE Mode)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Synapse Audio's The Legend supports MPE in Poly mode. Having tried it yet, though! On my to-do list:)

ROLI Equator is one of the Mozt MPE friendly VSTs as it was built specifically for MPE

olivernielsen wrote:Synapse Audio's The Legend supports MPE in Poly mode. Having tried it yet, though! On my to-do list:)
Again not good for Bitwig since it only allows 24 note bend, so you won’t be able to properly record properly properly tech bend data.

SLiC wrote:ROLI Equator is one of the Mozt MPE friendly VSTs as it was built specifically for MPE
Yeah this one is in some ways even better than using Bitwig’s built in synths because you have the modulation curves. That can pretty important especially with pressure since you may want to delay the pressure input when using other expression like velocity. It’s very difficult on some hardware devices to ply high velocity without triggering pressure immediately so the curve can be really good.

Strobe2 has the same functions as equator though I don’t use strobe.

Some others that have come along that work quite well:

PPG Infinite - This is one of the rare ones that doesn’t merge note expressions if notes get received in the same channel (Which like I said can happen in bitwig when a note stops before another note but the release of that previous note is still heard, because but reuses the channels dynamically therefor some heard notes get played on the same channel. Of course if the midi channel played was stored this wouldn’t be an issue). Infinite doesn’t have the curves but otherwise works perfectly. Also works in mono with mpe expressions which some synths don’t. I have only demoed, considering getting this or wavemapper but no rush.

PPG wavemapper - Doesn’t work as well as Infinite but they are at least updating it to be able to use timbre as well as pressure and full bend range.

U-he repro - works quite well. Missing timbre but that is getting added soon as in the rest of u-he plugs. Unfortunately it can get affected by the Bitwig channel reuse issue so longer sustaining notes can get expressions meant for one note. But you can work around it by having mono mode and multiple voices. So the same channel will cut off a previous note. Or use shorter release and delay/verb etc. And also you can use a real mono mode with mpe expressions, where this is not possible with other uhe synths since mono operates per channel and receiving mpe will always trigger multiple voices. Repro can set global voice to 1 though.

Sektor synth - I wasn’t impressed enough to buy it. It it seems capable and has full mpe capability including expression curves like equator. So this seems to be what you’d want if you need morphing wavetables.

Reaktor has Grip granular synth - here is popular granular synth in the Reaktor user library that now has mpe capability added. There are some more mpe Reaktor ensembles and Blocks as well.

Fxpansion Cypher 2.

A longer list here:
https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... nstruments

Return to “Bitwig”