Save preset as fxp. Is it ever going to happen?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Subject: Save preset as fxp. Is it ever going to happen?
aMUSEd wrote:There are still some plugins that require it and don't have their own capability to save it eg Tone 2 Firebird. It is supposed to be part of the VST 2 standard for VST hosts, Bitwig is partly shirking its host responsibilities.
Sooooo..... this haven't ben sorted yet?
I bought Bitwig almost over 2 years ago and havent used it at all, mainly because this.

It should not even be a need for this to be a requested feature, as aMUSEd said it's included in the standard for VST2 protocol.
By not having this feature Bitwig does not actually support VST2 and to be honest it should be considered a marketing felony to say that they are.

If there are no plans/intention to develop this, please let me know so I can sell Bitwig.

Ask bitwig devs then, rather than the users.

support@bitwig.com

Suloo wrote:Ask bitwig devs then, rather than the users.

support@bitwig.com
Yes, I probably will, still there's no wrong doing in asking other users, there may be users who already have done so and perhaps got an actual reply and have information about it. Although those in this thread who have emailed them have got no further information.

So I still reserve the right to ask the users and to be honest my first intention was actually just to highlite this topic with a reply.

It's fairly obvious that the basic stuff becomes way overlooked in this forum, and I understand the excitement with new flashy stuff...but still this issue is nothing more than a tragic joke at best, even with all the uberduberawesomnessmacromicromultiflexibledspmodularity in the world.

Anyhow, thank you for adding the email to bitwig, saves me the trouble.

you can save it simply as bitwig preset. Wouldn't be usable in other DAWs, but the stuff can be saved anyhow.

Yes but not in the plugin's native format. Softtube Modular is a good example of how this is a problem, it requires the host to be able to load and save fxp presets, so in Bitwig it's basically crippled. Every other VST capable host can do this - this is so basic we shouldn't be having to even ask for this - if a host supports a plugin format it should also support its presets, loading and saving them (not much point having one but not the other).

aMUSEd wrote:Yes but not in the plugin's native format. Softtube Modular is a good example of how this is a problem, it requires the host to be able to load and save fxp presets, so in Bitwig it's basically crippled. Every other VST capable host can do this - this is so basic we shouldn't be having to even ask for this - if a host supports a plugin format it should also support its presets, loading and saving them (not much point having one but not the other).
Yeah we heard you the first time dude. You're upset, it's the most basic thing ever, etc etc.

have fun elsewhere.

I'm sorry but I guess I don't understand. You cant save or load presets in certain vst plugins unless your DAW has fxp capabilities? Is that right? If that's what you're talking about, then that's pretty frustrating.

Sound And Found wrote:I'm sorry but I guess I don't understand. You cant save or load presets in certain vst plugins unless your DAW has fxp capabilities? Is that right? If that's what you're talking about, then that's pretty frustrating.
Yes, there's no way to save a fxp/fxb if the plugin doesn't have the capability to do so itself and as far as I know you can't load them either,

mholloway wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Yes but not in the plugin's native format. Softtube Modular is a good example of how this is a problem, it requires the host to be able to load and save fxp presets, so in Bitwig it's basically crippled. Every other VST capable host can do this - this is so basic we shouldn't be having to even ask for this - if a host supports a plugin format it should also support its presets, loading and saving them (not much point having one but not the other).
Yeah we heard you the first time dude. You're upset, it's the most basic thing ever, etc etc.

have fun elsewhere.

AAAAhhhhhhh.....there we go, how mature. Now I remember why I haven't checked this forum for over a year.

Kr3eM wrote:
Sound And Found wrote:I'm sorry but I guess I don't understand. You cant save or load presets in certain vst plugins unless your DAW has fxp capabilities? Is that right? If that's what you're talking about, then that's pretty frustrating.
Yes, there's no way to save a fxp/fxb if the plugin doesn't have the capability to do so itself and as far as I know you can't load them either,
You can load them using the browser, just not save them, I have no idea why Bitwig developers thought that was a sensible thing to do.

They might deem it redundant as they have set up their own elaborate preset saving scheme. I´m glad I can load the presets included on some vsts, most of the presets I create involve bws devices anyway.

Tearing Riots wrote:They might deem it redundant as they have set up their own elaborate preset saving scheme. I´m glad I can load the presets included on some vsts, most of the presets I create involve bws devices anyway.
It's only redundant if you only use Bitwig and never switch to another DAW ever again for the rest of your life. Either way it's a narrowminded and childish approach to it in that sense that it forces you to abandon a standard that people have been using for a long time and still are relying on.

I would have a different opinion if this was a choice made due to customer demand...but seriously, have you ever heard anyone raise a logical complaint that by removing the possibility to save fxp/fxb presets we improve the life of the creative community?

...it's like saying a device have bluetooth but it will only connect to devices made from the same manufactor. Since the whole point of Bluetooth is to be able to share resources with othe devices no matter who made it you can't say it have Bluetooth, that is just inaccurate.

None of the plugins I use depend on the DAW for preset saving... so it is a non-issue for me...

but if I had a favorite synth(s) that did not save their own presets, I would also find that annoying.

Ironically I suspect most plugin developers decided to implement internal preset management for their plugins because of how generally sucky host support is for presets. It's particularly bad with Bitwig as VST is the only plugin format it semi supports in the first place, but to be fair most hosts that support more than one plugin format fail to provide full support for each format's presets, generally only supporting the minimum of VST2 well (Studio One and Bidule seem to be the only ones I have that do it properly).

It makes me wonder what planet Softube are on when they chose to leave this to hosts for Modular; hosts can't be relied upon for preset management any more.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

yea, it's like the plugin devs do not support vst2 completely as well, although they state to be. Some might be out of active development by now, but i guess dropping active companys like softube a mail would also be a good idea.

Return to “Bitwig”