MPE with Hardware Synths

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can get it to work in Ableton.
The thing in Bitwig is that when an expressive controller spits out midi on separate channels...bitwigs hardware device is receiving all incoming midi.

I just can't think of any configuration that receives the midi, sent out to 4 midi channels, without the possibility to split the signals and route them to my 4 midi channels in my synth.

are you on mac or pc? on mac there could be something set up in the audio midi setup, filtering out the channels you don't need. Maybe then you would need a controller script wich opens up the channels in bitwig. Just a thought..

with this script then maybe: https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/con ... _bi_1.html

PHY6 wrote:I can get it to work in Ableton.
The thing in Bitwig is that when an expressive controller spits out midi on separate channels...bitwigs hardware device is receiving all incoming midi.

I just can't think of any configuration that receives the midi, sent out to 4 midi channels, without the possibility to split the signals and route them to my 4 midi channels in my synth.
You want to split midi? not same as mpe... confusing thread. Ableton doesnt have mpe.

Maybe I formulated wrong by saying 'split'.
I just need to receive midi on 4 different channels on my synth.
Right now, when midi comes out the controller, it sends out midi depending on notes pressed, to 1,2,3 & 4.
But I can't seperate them in BW.

And the reason I call it mpe, it's multi polyphonic expression...no idea what to call it. It does the same.
I'm on Osx

Two years since this thread, we still don't have support for MPE hardware instruments. Why? It seems like such a perfect thing for the best MPE compatible DAW around. I've got a MicroMonsta and now a 002 that both are designed to work as MPE instruments, yet Bitwig does not pass MPE data to them. It's very frustrating.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Lets do a demonstration in Berlin at Superbooth at the Bitwig booth - maybe create a T-shirt "Bitwig without MPE sucks" or something like that. If they don't do it fast, it will appear first in Live, that would be really embarrassing...
Ask arbitrary visitors to demand MPE at their booth, make a flashmob video and post it on facebook/youtube...
Whenever I want to play music, I have to fire up Mainstage because Bitwig doesn't cut it...
Still I don't want to divorce...

Tj Shredder wrote:Lets do a demonstration in Berlin at Superbooth at the Bitwig booth - maybe create a T-shirt "Bitwig without MPE sucks" or something like that. If they don't do it fast, it will appear first in Live, that would be really embarrassing...
Ask arbitrary visitors to demand MPE at their booth, make a flashmob video and post it on facebook/youtube...
Whenever I want to play music, I have to fire up Mainstage because Bitwig doesn't cut it...
Live getting to it first?! :lol: Live still doesn't even acknowledge poly aftertouch!

All that's needed is a "MPE External Instrument" device or the ability to right-click and choose "Force MPE" in the HW Instrument device like we have in all the plug-in instrument devices.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Let's just post to this tread every day until someone at Bitwig responds. Come on düdes. I've got a 002 that's itching to be controlled with MPE.
Zerocrossing Media

Do people from Bitwig actually read these threads?
Zerocrossing Media

Best to submit tickets, I don't think they browse KVR much any more.

Would somebody be kind enough to summarise the current state of MPE in Bitwig (e.g. what needs fixing etc.)? I'm happy to submit a ticket but I pretty much gave up playing with my Linnstrument because it felt like very time I tried to get it to work in Bitwig I had to do something different. The lack of standardisation amongst VSTs didn't really help either!

I seem to recall having to toggle 'force MPE' a lot and the pitch bend setting on the Linnstrument was never correct for the device I was using. I seem to recall +- 48 semitones worked well for the Bitwig internal synths, but I had to change it to 24 or 12 for Madrona Labs stuff, and maybe something different again for Falcon? I also can't remember whether I needed to tick 'force MPE mode' or not; seemed to behave differently for each VST.

I even don't know why "force MPE" isn't the only setting and active all the time. I do not see a single advantage for the non MPE setting...

I'm guessing that any "force MPE" mode is a kludge to begin with. Any MPE aware device should be able to recognize the zone message and configure itself accordingly. But remember that MPE has only been official for a few months.

zerocrossing wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:Lets do a demonstration in Berlin at Superbooth at the Bitwig booth - maybe create a T-shirt "Bitwig without MPE sucks" or something like that. If they don't do it fast, it will appear first in Live, that would be really embarrassing...
Live getting to it first?! :lol: Live still doesn't even acknowledge poly aftertouch!

All that's needed is a "MPE External Instrument" device or the ability to right-click and choose "Force MPE" in the HW Instrument device like we have in all the plug-in instrument devices.
What is really needed is for Bitwig to store midi channel data with each note... you know, recording the midi that it receives!!

I met some Bitwiggers yesterday, they are aware of the problem and work on it...
I told them, they won't get my update if it isn't fixed...

Tj Shredder wrote:I met some Bitwiggers yesterday, they are aware of the problem and work on it...
:tu:

Return to “Bitwig”