License model no way !!!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In a way it makes sense to remove a promised feature from the website if it's not going to make it into your latest touted major paid upgrade as everyone expected. At least to the marketing dept.

I think, to say that they are going to sit on it for their own benefit is jumping to conclusions. There isn't much evidence either way at this point.

I can't deny the possibility, but to me it doesn't make sense. They are smarter than that I think. And imho something like that would likely be their downfall.

Well just have to wait and see I guess.

liquidsound wrote: That's why you are not going to see the Modular Side of BW released in the near future, because they need it to keep on coming out with tools and features for the yearly cash flow license model.
If the users get their hands on that Modular thing (Reaktor - M4L like) they can build their own and you can draw a simple conclusion.
Look at the new modulators for example, "new feature for sale", but if the user can make them out themselves with the Modular engine......
The conclusion I would draw is that all sorts of creative tools would get made by users and more and more people would buy Bitwig.

pdxindy wrote:
liquidsound wrote: That's why you are not going to see the Modular Side of BW released in the near future, because they need it to keep on coming out with tools and features for the yearly cash flow license model.
If the users get their hands on that Modular thing (Reaktor - M4L like) they can build their own and you can draw a simple conclusion.
Look at the new modulators for example, "new feature for sale", but if the user can make them out themselves with the Modular engine......
The conclusion I would draw is that all sorts of creative tools would get made by users and more and more people would buy Bitwig.
Quite possible and a commonsense conclusion.
But there are two ways to run a business:
Run it to new heights or run it into a wall.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Quite possible and a commonsense conclusion.
But there are two ways to run a business:
Run it to new heights or run it into a wall.
I have a year to see which way it goes... and either buy in again... or run for the hills! :hihi:

FWIW, I can only speak for myself, and though I don't care for the model persay, it's ok overall.

I'll worry about it a year from now.

bolba wrote:Re-read your original post and separate post thrice and still don't get your idea.
You want some kind of FLStudio's licensing?
Well... it's bs.
I think the idea is clear enough so I shouldn't really need to spell it out. Beyond that, I have no desire to control or comment on the attention spans of others. If you think its bs, that's fine and very much your prerogative.

TBH, I'm not particularly concerned over the current lic. model or the old one for that matter.
Over 3 years I am into Bitwig for a grand total of $318, still less than the actual asking price
of a single version, and I've been through 2.

There are always ways to get it on sale if you're a cheapskate... Ahem, I mean an informed
shopper like myself. In a year, assuming I'm still interested, I will simply pay again, at as greatly a discounted
rate as possible of course...

It's only money, you cant take it with you right?

-Cheers

Fleer wrote:Stimulating development also means getting and keeping a larger user base, IMNSHO.
That's why I think new customers should get 24 months of free upgrades.

stamp wrote:
Fleer wrote:Stimulating development also means getting and keeping a larger user base, IMNSHO.
That's why I think new customers should get 24 months of free upgrades.
At the very least :)

I don't care so much about price, but about quality, and this matter, BitWig excels.

Maybe the guys behind Bitwig could distinctly focus on two customer groups: professionals and hobbyists. The first group would adhere to the license model including full instant support and the other group would get their upgrades free for three years yet without such high level support. In short, the license model would be all about support, not about upgrades.

ejgallego wrote:I don't care so much about price, but about quality, and this matter, BitWig excels.
Interesting, but how...

liquidsound wrote:
ejgallego wrote:I don't care so much about price, but about quality, and this matter, BitWig excels.
Interesting, but how...
If you mean "how does it excel?" , this is obviously subjective. In my case, from the same moment I started to use I've had loads of fun, great creative workflow, and zero trouble. Rock solid on my Linux laptop. I've been using BitWig way more than 300 hours so IMHO less than 1€/h for this much fun is a good deal.

It is obvious that the software is young and quite a few important features are still missing, but I can certainly put 100€/year (less than 10€ month) aside to help the developers continue with Bitwig. In fact, I quite like this model as it is certainly fair: do new cool stuff in Bitwig == take my money.

I understand 100€/year may be too much for some people here, but indeed I don't see the drama, as you get a perpetual license. If you are cash-strapped lets say you upgrade every 4 years, that's 40€/year. Come on!

ejgallego wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
Interesting, but how...
If you mean "how does it excel?" , this is obviously subjective. In my case, from the same moment I started to use I've had loads of fun, great creative workflow, and zero trouble. Rock solid on my Linux laptop. I've been using BitWig way more than 300 hours so IMHO less than 1€/h for this much fun is a good deal.

It is obvious that the software is young and quite a few important features are still missing, but I can certainly put 100€/year (less than 10€ month) aside to help the developers continue with Bitwig. In fact, I quite like this model as it is certainly fair: do new cool stuff in Bitwig == take my money.

I understand 100€/year may be too much for some people here, but indeed I don't see the drama, as you get a perpetual license. If you are cash-strapped lets say you upgrade every 4 years, that's 40€/year. Come on!
I understand you points of satisfaction but that's not a label for Quality Excellence.
It's definitely a good program and a valid alternative to Live, but after my demo time I have a different take on its quality.
I rarely pay a year before delivery. But it can be seen the other way around.

I see no problems with this licensing model at all really. But I expect that this model will enable Bitwig to hire more developers so that we can see a significantly faster development than we've seen up until now, and with a well-defined roadmap for the planned features. If thats not happening I would gladly pay more than €169 annually to see Bitwig being updated in the same pace as the other software I use professionally.

Return to “Bitwig”