A minimal list of keyboard shortcuts

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have had it with Bitwig's shortcuts - there are far too many for me to remember and I keep hitting a key by mistake and having it change the interface round or delete the wrong thing. So I have deleted them all and am building a minimal list of just the bare essentials from scratch. So far I have space for start/stop and the usual copy/paste commands and tab for full screen (there doesn't seem to be a reverse for that one)

So what should I add to get something more manageable but without going OTT?

r for reverse
l for loops selected region
b for toggle browser
1,2,3,4,5 for tools
c for cycle on/off
shift+b for bounce in place

Ive got my Function keys on these...

F1= Note editor.
F2= Device Panel
F3=Automation panel
F4=Mixer panel.
F5 and F6 on inspector and browser.

Those are the ones i use most. I also play games. So WASD are:
W=Track mute
A= Toggle active
S= Track solo
D= Plugin device window.

Dont know what its worth but i think im just as you just the minimal and important stuff....
Last edited by codec17 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nm

Added cmnd b for bounce in place

codec17 wrote:Ive got my Function keys on these...

F1= Note editor.
F2= Device Panel
F3=Automation panel
F4=Mixer panel.
F5 and F6 on inspector and browser.
Thought that sounded like a good idea except on my Mac keyboard it doesn't have function keys :dog:

Yes, there a lot of shortcuts and some of them are pretty confusing. At least to me. I tried messing around with these and none of it worked as I'd supposed, so I just restored them and gave up. Works fine as is. I too use the function keys for the various panes.
bitwig1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Not really keyboard related , But ive got myself a gaming mice, and my 12345 buttons are on it.
So the pointer, slice ,select, tools mapped to it.
Cant live without anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

codec17 wrote:Not really keyboard related , But ive got myself a gaming mice, and my 12345 buttons are on it.
So the pointer, slice ,select, tools mapped to it.
Cant live without anymore.
Oh, this is cool idea. Gonna buy one. Thanks.
"The masses are basically stupid. So you have to make stupid shit" - deadmau5.

One thing I do use is the arrow keys to browse through presets - I seem to have lost that but can't find a way to add it back, the items I thought would be it don't seem to be (also in the original list things like down and up arrows seem to be assigned to multiple things but it won't let me do that)

aMUSEd wrote:One thing I do use is the arrow keys to browse through presets - I seem to have lost that but can't find a way to add it back, the items I thought would be it don't seem to be (also in the original list things like down and up arrows seem to be assigned to multiple things but it won't let me do that)
I have noticed with both the beta6 and 1.3.15 installed, I seemed to have lost some shortcuts. Anyone else? Or was that my imagination. Are they both using the same prefs file, etc?

Don't know - with the default on I can browse using arrow keys but I've tried every permutation and can't seem to add it back without adding the whole list back

Anyone know what the arrow navigation shortcuts are? I want to delete all the others because keyboard shortcuts are sabotaging my composing but these I use.

aMUSEd wrote:Anyone know what the arrow navigation shortcuts are? I want to delete all the others because keyboard shortcuts are sabotaging my composing but these I use.
OK found it - but why is it when I try and add a shortcut it tells me I have already assigned it to something else and have to reassign it - in the default list loads of stuff uses the same shortcut?

How dumb is this? If you delete the majority of shortcuts it also disables half the functionality of a keyboard, eg I can't use backspace, del or even enter now. So now I have to work out how to get those back without having to restore the defaults which are getting in the way of me actually doing anything. What a waste of time!

Oh and now running up against that the fact that it only allows one shortcut per action - so I already have backspace setup to delete devices/tracks, one of the standard things I did use. So it won't let me add backspace for text deletion unless I reassign it from delete device. Crazy!

Return to “Bitwig”