FR Import/export for device panels

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is clearly a missing link in Bitwig's functionality with respect to using controllers and device mapping. Obviously a lot of work has been put into creating scripts that allow a controller to 'talk to' Bitwig and operate devices, but for that to work effectively the devices themselves also need to be correctly setup with appropriate and functional controller mappings in the first place. That has been done for Bitwig devices but very few third party ones appear to have been mapped, and I can see why. While the mapping itself is easy it is not easy to locate, backup, restore and share the mappings, they are hidden away in an invisible folder and given numerical designations rather than proper names so it's also hard to work out which corresponds to which unless you know the plugin ID code. So the whole process is just not transparent to the user and does not appear to have been given as much thought in relation to user friendliness as many other aspects of Bitwig.

So what I propose is adding an import/export dialogue to the Mapping page - I think if this was available Bitwig would find suddenly a whole community springs up of people creating maps for devices until Bitwig is able to work completely seamlessly with a wide variety of third party instruments and effects. This would benefit both the community and Bitwig's development. It would also enable people to effectively backup and transfer device mappings between systems/setups.

Really need this - such a pain trying to work out which device map is for which plugin especially now I have done so many

+1 im with you in this one....

Specially to locate them back...
Even when saving as default preset (wich you rename AND even change the name of the device) it appears in "hidden"folder as default.

+1

This definately needs to be more user friendly.

+1

Aah this is annoying I made one for Turnado a while back and now I can't find the damn thing (I can find it in Bitwig, just not the actual file in Finder)

aMUSEd wrote:Aah this is annoying I made one for Turnado a while back and now I can't find the damn thing (I can find it in Bitwig, just not the actual file in Finder)
Could you make a change to it and re-save it, then sort Finder by date / last modified ?

I've started using a text file to create an index, its bad enough with 5 or 6 panels, can't imagine what its like with all the panels you've created ;)

I've been trying that, finder just doesn't seem that good at working out the changes

Just installed Turnado demo version, maybe it has the same ID, vst-73627475.

Thanks - that found it - how did you get the ID?

Cool.

I created a panel and saved it, then picked the newest one, using Windows file explorer.

Of course, I thought maybe you used one of the Windows apps like VST Spy (there are several, just no Mac ones)

What is FR? Whatever it is, it sounds like I want it because I have zero interest in scripting and would like to see someone else take care of it. ;-)

FR is just short for feature request. This isn't really scripting but more a way to address the gap between the script, which allows for controllers to work with Bitwig in the first place, and actual control of specific third party plugins. I'm surprised though how few people seem to be actually interested in creating device panels.

Bitwig 2.1 is out so hopefully now many of the major bugs are squashed some attention will be give to important feature improvements like this

Return to “Bitwig”