Poll: Do you use Windows, Linux or OS X?

Official support for: bitwig.com

I use Bitwig on:

Linux
27%
Windows
45%
OS X
28%

Total votes: 177

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yesterday I tried running Linux Bitwig in an Amazon EC2 instance, just for fun. I got the splash page but after that it crashed. I *was* able to run some other audio software though. Can you imagine having a DAW computer that scales up power based on the session needs? Could be cool but of course the IO would be a nightmare. :?

Windows for now, since my Linux install got botched. But as soon as I can afford an extra SSD and have some time, I'll definitely make a new installation.

How did people install Kontakt? I could not get Native Access to run. I reported this, and apparently some work has now been done on the bug in question in Wine.

How does Carla compare to Airwave?

Has anybody tried this? It's a VST bridge made apparently by one of the guys on the Bitwig team:
https://github.com/abique/vst-bridge

Fleer wrote:I'm on OSX with Bitwig 2.0 but I'm anxiously waiting for AU compatibility. It's a decisive factor for me.
If you really need them try bluecats patchworks, Its quite nice especially when used going from DAW to DAW collaboration to collaboration as you can make presets that just follow everything and are not daw dependent.

you need to override some (alot for Kontakt) windows dll.
never tried Carla, but this is rack? so i don't like them.
airwave work find here, I only have problem with Waves plugins, I cant automate any parameter.

Kypresso wrote:What linux distro are people using, is there any particular one that is best for running bitwig on ?
I'm running Bitwig 2 on Arch. I've tweaked its config for audio.

made my first steps in recording related things in Linux, and tyr to stick with it.

Worked on Fedora for a while than switched to Ubuntu Studio and now Ubuntu default...

Sometimes it´s pain ´cause software is not playing nicely (3rd party).

Bitwig works nicely, as far as i can tell.

cheers

If the poll results are representative of the actual user base than this is really surprising, are there some official statistics from Bitwig?

By the way, has anyone here used Linux to play live from the clip launcher? Maybe even using a Launchpad?

Netsu wrote: By the way, has anyone here used Linux to play live from the clip launcher? Maybe even using a Launchpad?
Play live, no, but a Launchpad Mini surely works. I don't find it intuitive though, so I'm not using it much.

Netsu wrote:By the way, has anyone here used Linux to play live from the clip launcher? Maybe even using a Launchpad?
i have.. triggering scenes and clips, combined with some stem/playback tracks, plus playing some keyboard parts "manually".. with a bunch of controllers.. different ones each time.. sometimes akai apcmini/midimix/key25, sometimes korg nanokey2/kontrol2/pad2.. sometimes my old but trusted edirol pcr-300.. and i have used a novation launchpad (the first, original version) as a "visual metronome" (i created a track with midi notes to control the lights.. so that the other members of the band could see what was going on)..
all with my own personal/custom scripts, because the "official" ones doesn't fit my way of using controllers..

- tor-helge

Awesome! And no problems with stability and latency from the system and Bitwig?

Netsu wrote:Awesome! And no problems with stability and latency from the system and Bitwig?
i did some shows with windows and some with linux.. the experience and stability was more or less the same with both systems (but i feel most 'at home' in linux).. but bitwig itself freaked out a couple of times (sounded like buffer under-runs).. this was with v1.1 or v1.2.. haven't used v2 for rehearsals or live shows yet..

- tor-helge

Netsu wrote:If the poll results are representative of the actual user base than this is really surprising...
I'd say shocking, rather than just surprising. I'm glad to see it, though, even if it's not representative of the whole user base.

Taika-Kim wrote: How did people install Kontakt? I could not get Native Access to run. I reported this, and apparently some work has now been done on the bug in question in Wine.
From what I read, install a 'wine staging' version.
There is a 2.1 stable version,
and a 2.4 'are you feeling lucky, punk?' version.

Then, download and copy these extra .dll files
to wine's system32 folder

msvcp140.dll
concrt140.dll
api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
ucrtbase.dll

When the first wine command, or a wine app is launched,
wine will create it's .wine folder, a 'C: in a folder', so create
the folder chains that mimick your windows vst paths.

Run the winecfg command, and a wine config panel opens.
In the libraries tab, you will see where to list the new .dll
files as 'over-rides', preferred versions over those supplied
by wine itself. (I renamed the existing versions, rather than
removing them)

If your distro supplies a non-staging wine, make sure your
package manager doesn't mess with your new version,
which will be installed in /opt rather than /usr/lib where default
wine versions install.

Another thing to watch for, is wineasio. If you install it from
a package manager, it will probably try to install
a 'normal wine' setup as dependencies. What I did was download
a wineasio debian package, un-archive it, and manually
copy the .dll to the wine .dll folders, 2 or 3 of them on some setups.

Then on 64 bit systems, run two commands,
wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll and
regsvr32 wineasio.dll

The terminal output will say if registration was successful.
Good luck!

There are many good plugins for Linux, including the built in Bitwig plugins.

Most people barely touch the surface on how to use their musical instrument plugins and tend to just use presets created by others.
They will use plugins based on the available presets.

Having a good knowledge of just a few instruments can be better than having a hundred instruments that you don't know how to use.

Zynaddsubfx(including Yoshimi and other forks) is a good example of a very powerful instrument in the hands of someone who knows how to control it. There are many examples of compositions made using Zyn alone.
Combine that with a good sampler and maybe an FM style synth you have most bases covered.

The Bitwig built-in plugins can do the job alone, but there are plenty of excellent commercial and free plugins for Linux now that can augment the collection.

I personally feel no need to use any other operating system anymore.

I have been using Linux as my main OS for many years and am very glad to find that I don't have to boot up a separate OS just for music.

Any multimedia based Linux distributions would be a good choice for people who want to check out Linux, but there will be a learning curve. Linux has it's own way of handling midi and audio that can seem overwhelming at first.

It's just too bad that Bitwig doesn't work with Jack midi, the standard in the Linux world. There are ways of getting around it if you need to talk to other music applications in Linux. They aren't pretty, but get the job done.

mclstr wrote: It's just too bad that Bitwig doesn't work with Jack midi, the standard in the Linux world. There are ways of getting around it if you need to talk to other music applications in Linux. They aren't pretty, but get the job done.
I found these links helpful:

Return to “Bitwig”