Sample-accurate splits?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Splitwig

Thanks for the response. Hope this gets fixed soon. Appreciate you taking the time to run the test in 2.14 and posting the screenshot. Would have thought this would have been a bigger issue..

Is it fixed in the 2.2 Beta?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Bitwig 2.2 beta 1... can you guess where my cuts were? ;)

Not defending the Bitwig team because it's a genuine oversight to not have this fixed, but why would you cut a sample in place where there's sound? I always cut at the silent bits, to split separate segments apart. Also, why cut something to then put it back together side by side? Does consolidating clips solve it?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I cut samples where there is sound quite often. Sometimes I also cut audio and put it together side by side if I want one part stretched and the next segment raw. I'm not sure if consolidating clips solves it. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, maybe even in the 2.2 beta.

antic604 wrote:Not defending the Bitwig team because it's a genuine oversight to not have this fixed, but why would you cut a sample in place where there's sound? I always cut at the silent bits, to split separate segments apart. Also, why cut something to then put it back together side by side? Does consolidating clips solve it?
I totally understand! I'm not someone that refuses to use a tool because of an issue unless there's no workaround, as long as the overall value of the tool is still a benefit. I'd much rather get things done, live my life, and leave behind a solid body of work - there is no perfect tool. :)

That said, this doesn't really affect my music composition, which is why it's still my goto DAW for that. However I do a lot of sound design / asset creation, dialog editing, podcast work, and non-music editing, and it can definitely affect things there. Most of the time, you do split items at silent parts, but sometimes when editing other things you don't. The messed up samples at the start/end of a split create little fake transients. A lot of the time I'll slice something up and leave it in place, but then copy and paste those slices elsewhere. The ones left in place & the copies have these clicks and pops. More than anything else, I just want to trust my tool with regards to underlying edits (don't touch the samples). If you cut anything (a kick, etc) too close to a transient, this will already mess with it. It is definitely tiny, but most of all it just makes me feel uneasy about things (what else is going on?). Also, it wasn't a bug before v2.

I just tested cutting and joining, and unfortunately it's the same after that. It must be doing something to the start and end of the events it creates:

Thanks guys for your feedback. I can see how that bug can be irritating :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Is this fixed yet?

Bitwig 2.3.1 :(

Bitwig should fix this... do they acknowledge it is a bug when you send to support?

Yeah it was confirmed in July of last year, and after looking up the email Dom did mention that they knew the cause (a fade being applied to the beginning of the cut clip when it shouldn't be). He said it would be fixed in 2.2 but perhaps this got lost for some reason.

write to support again and mention it that they wanted to fix it in 2.2
mybe the lost it
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

don_looney wrote:write to support again and mention it that they wanted to fix it in 2.2
mybe the lost it
+1

don_looney wrote:write to support again and mention it that they wanted to fix it in 2.2
mybe the lost it
I just heard back and they said it should be just fine, and perhaps I had auto-create fades on splits checked on in prefs. I don't, and we're going in a circle, so I just recorded a video and am sending it to them. We don't even need to go back and forth... they just need to drop in an audio file, cut it, and hear the pops.

https://youtu.be/RZ3Nk_t41ss

Return to “Bitwig”