Bitwig 2.2?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PhilipVasta wrote:I'd like to have some idea of what I'm paying for.
You're paying for the version you get when you paid, plus a year of updates. Trying to let people know what will be included in those updates would be a disaster, because think how many people would be up in arms if they don't come through on time. Even if they didn't give exact dates people would still bitch and moan, saying they expected an item on the list to be part of what they paid for, etc. It just gives people false hopes.

On that note, as a recent purchaser of Bitwig 2, if they don't improve the Sampler sometime soon there will be hell to pay. :x

See what I mean? :D

PhilipVasta wrote:Do we know anything about what's coming in version 2.2? If we're paying for a year of updates, I really think we should be privy to some roadmap.
Then again, if they mention items and don't get to them within the time frame because they had other priorities (bugs and development taking much more time, small team) then people will complain about that. You said you would be doing that, I paid and you didn't. Just as it happened previously. So it's a double-edge sword.

pdxindy wrote: Agreed... just one thing... that is not my writing you quoted to me... ;)
Oops sorry!
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

I don't have access to the beta but I'm hoping someone will keep up the discussion of changing the Sampler to give users global access, by the dashboard, to whether a patch saved as part of a project will copy the used sample or not. I'm sitting on 1000+ super cool vintage synth sampler patches that I can't use because the samples are being copied to every project I'm testing any of these patches in. Sucks big time. Easy to fix. The "do not copy samples to project folder" should really be the default setting to prevent users from falling in the trap I fell into;-(
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

Just implement midi channels in clips and a channel filter plugin please...

Netsu wrote:Just implement midi channels in clips and a channel filter plugin please...
Oh great, that's such a powerful tool! Thank you!!! :-)
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

Netsu wrote:....and a channel filter plugin please...
Again....this time one that works!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:
Netsu wrote:....and a channel filter plugin please...
Again....this time one that works!
...along well storing the midi channel per note so that mpe stuff works properly (rather than alternating channels when notes don't overlap).

The big problem with announcing a roadmap is that it's difficult to live up to, for a software development team. Most of them do scrum/agile, meaning that they literally don't plan more than 1-4 weeks ahead. After each sprint (1-4 weeks) has been completed, they evaluate the sprint, and reprioritize the backlog (aka the upcoming work) depending on current priorities.

Software developers rarely know for sure whether a feature can be coded in 2 days, 5 days, 2 weeks or a month. There are so many variables at play. Meanwhile, bug reports are coming in, and those bugs can be major, or minor. If it's a bug that needs quick fixing because the support team are flooded with similar bug reports, the new feature is put on hold, while the bug is solved.

Basically, software developers are extremely reluctant to announce roadmaps, and for good reasons.

PS: That said, I understand your sentiment. It's nice to know in which direction the ship is sailing.

Regardless, I use Bitwig 2.1 as it is and for the great piece of software that it is. I'm confident the developers are prioritizing the most important features for future releases. They've done a borderline genius job with Bitwig, in my opinion. I recently fell in love with it, after getting the Bitwig 8-Track version with my Nektar LX25+ controller synth:)

.maki wrote:
linkstate wrote: But how should I communicate my will to programmers and how do they know their users priority?
maybe send in an e-letter pigeon

It only flies back home, so if your home is not bitwig hq, it won't work :party:

Very much hoping the significant automation problems with some plugins will be fixed at least in this version.

olivernielsen wrote:PS: That said, I understand your sentiment. It's nice to know in which direction the ship is sailing.

Regardless, I use Bitwig 2.1 as it is and for the great piece of software that it is. I'm confident the developers are prioritizing the most important features for future releases. They've done a borderline genius job with Bitwig, in my opinion. I recently fell in love with it, after getting the Bitwig 8-Track version with my Nektar LX25+ controller synth:)
Thank you for providing a reasonable response, unlike some people around here who can't stand that someone criticize their favorite DAW. I certainly understand that announcing a roadmap introduces some level of commitment, and that's a little scary. But that's kind of the point, when you're handing someone money. Maybe they should just change their payment model so that, the older version of Bitwig you're upgrading from, the more you pay. Because currently there is no incentive for the consumer to treat it like a subscription payment; there is no guarantee that you'll get anything worthwhile. It's strange, because you would think Bitwig would want you to keep paying. Oh well.

In any case, I also am a big fan of Bitwig. I recently bought Sonar to give me some proper vocal editing, but Bitwig's workflow is just so much more pleasant for me. I just hope they make some real strides in development with this new payment model.

I think a lot of people (myself included) run a second DAW for more traditional duties (in my case S1)

Bitwig is still a relatively new DAW and you can only add so much on each revision whilst maintaining stability. So...spend that time making BW more like a traditional DAW (in reality it may never be the best traditional DAW as they are also moving on....) or make it more creative and niche...I think Live has the same issue....people want all the traditional DAW workflow features when that wasn't realy what the Abes set out to make.

All that said, currently BW is the only DAW that for me has the potential to do it all eventually....but I would say they will need at least a couple of years to get there....and who knows what Live 10, Cubasis 10 and Studio One 4 will look like by then....there will always be DAW envy!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

@SliC

True, there's absolutely something to be said for owning a particular portion of the market, and I think Bitwig does this well. I'm curious, what kinds of things do you think we'll see in the next year or so? Realistically speaking.

Return to “Bitwig”