Are you happy with V2 updates so far???

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

starflakeprj wrote:As far as I know ReWire VST is a pretty abandoned product. In case nobody says otherwise, I wouldn't trust to get a license if purchasing ReWire VST from the website.
Abandoned as in "not further developed" wouldn't be a concern for me if the plugin does what is needed already (I don't use ReWire myself, so I wouldn't know).

Since payment is via PayPal, I wouldn't worry much personally - if the dev doesn't deliver the serial, you can always get your money back.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I have tried to get in touch with the developer several times, but he does not answer on the support email, which is why I'm a bit concerned. For me, just using Rewire VST to sample Reason Combinators, the demo works fine though.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:I have tried to get in touch with the developer several times, but he does not answer on the support email, which is why I'm a bit concerned. For me, just using Rewire VST to sample Reason Combinators, the demo works fine though.
If I remember correctly, you can't use Rewire VST for multiple devices / Reason channels onto separate tracks in Bitwig. It works for me if I only want one instrument, but it's a shame otherwise.

shadiradio wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:I have tried to get in touch with the developer several times, but he does not answer on the support email, which is why I'm a bit concerned. For me, just using Rewire VST to sample Reason Combinators, the demo works fine though.
If I remember correctly, you can't use Rewire VST for multiple devices / Reason channels onto separate tracks in Bitwig. It works for me if I only want one instrument, but it's a shame otherwise.
I only sample one combinator at a time in discoDSP Bliss, using Rewire VST, so this limitation don't apply to me.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

shadiradio wrote:
Is that in the full version or in the demo? I thought this is the main demo limitation?
Here he shows it working on several tracks (at least in his own DAW):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... SHm3pYIBdI

If the ReWire plugins on different tracks need to communicate with each other (which I would assume), it's possible you need to run them in a plugin mode where they all run in the same process, so for instance "Only as Bit-Bridge" should work.

What I already tried and what works is, that you can send Midi from several tracks to different Midi channels in one ReWire VST (even the demo). Just send the output of the other tracks to "Plug-Ins" -> "ReWire VST" and then select the Midi channel you want to send on from the little number widget that show up then.

I just now took the plunge and finally bought it - I never had a reason to use ReWire, but recently I found the Ambisonic Toolkit for Reaper and would like to try if I'm able to integrate it into my surround pipeline in Bitwig in a reasonable way - ReWire is one option, even though a bit convoluted. Sadly the ATK plugins don't work in ReaJS directly in Bitwig...

I'll report back how it goes with the license.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Quick addendum:
What also works (even in the demo) is you can use the multi-outputs of ReWire VST to send one Stereo and 6 Mono audio sources back from your rewired host. Those could be routed to individual audio tracks for further processing.

So the only thing I find odd is the limitation of available channels - would make more sense to support much more stereo channels. While the 6 mono channels can be re-combined into 3 stereo tracks, I'm not sure about the hardcoded choices here...

Cheers,

Tom

Already got my full version of ReWire VST, took about an hour on a saturday evening - not bad ;-)

It seems that the full version also does not allow to have the plugin on more than one track, that's a bit of a bummer and makes the setup more complicated.

While I can route up to 16 Midi channels to the VST, the number of return channels (and most of them being mono) is a more severe limitation. 4 stereo channels (if I re-combine the 6 mono channels) instead of the theoretical 16...

I wrote a mail to the dev, let's see what he will say.

Cheers,

Tom

Very interesting Tom, thanks for the info. I'm following this closely as ReWire support is something I miss in Bitwig. Cheers!
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

ThomasHelzle wrote:Already got my full version of ReWire VST, took about an hour on a saturday evening - not bad ;-)

It seems that the full version also does not allow to have the plugin on more than one track, that's a bit of a bummer and makes the setup more complicated.

While I can route up to 16 Midi channels to the VST, the number of return channels (and most of them being mono) is a more severe limitation. 4 stereo channels (if I re-combine the 6 mono channels) instead of the theoretical 16...

I wrote a mail to the dev, let's see what he will say.

Cheers,

Tom
I think that was the limitation that I ran into way back (and I did purchase it). This was before Bitwig had the audio receiver devices too, so back then it was even more inconvenient.

ThomasHelzle wrote:
BobDog wrote:I'm a little disappointed, I really wanted some better midi handling with version 2, the hope was originally there that they were moving it that direction with the midi channel devices but they didn't work properly and were removed. So still for me bitwig sits there unused which is a shame as it has so many great features. I won't upgrade again until they sort midi/mpe out. Same reason I'm not upgrading to live 10.
The available controller scripts that support separate midi channels and the existing MPE implementation don't work for you?

Cheers,

Tom
Not really no. midi channel is not preserved for mpe plugins which is a deal breaker. The controller scripts side of things seems a mad way to handle midi channels, especially as having two different controllers accessing the same real midi device causes bitwig to stop responding to midi at all. Really all I want is a way to have Omni devices and choose a midi device and channel for a track. Like every other daw!

I'm not saying that the controller side of things is bad as it isn't but it should be for integrating with controllers not basic midi handling.
Last edited by BobDog on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Dbl
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:
BobDog wrote:I'm a little disappointed, I really wanted some better midi handling with version 2, the hope was originally there that they were moving it that direction with the midi channel devices but they didn't work properly and were removed. So still for me bitwig sits there unused which is a shame as it has so many great features. I won't upgrade again until they sort midi/mpe out. Same reason I'm not upgrading to live 10.
The available controller scripts that support separate midi channels and the existing MPE implementation don't work for you?

Cheers,

Tom
Not really no. midi channel is not preserved for mpe plugins which is a deal breaker. The controller scripts side of things seems a mad way to handle midi channels, especially as having two different controllers accessing the same real midi device causes bitwig to stop responding to midi at all. Really all I want is a way to have Omni devices and choose a midi device and channel for a track. Like every other daw!
I agree except that I hope the channel selection can be in a device rather than for the whole track. The reason for this is that then you be able to use an instrument layer and filter each layer to a different channel within a track. But it certainly wouldn’t hurt to be able to set the track itself to a given channel, as long as All channels is an option so you can still filter with a device in an instrument layer.

The 2.3 update seems quite impressive, so I will be quite happy with what they delivered in a year.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_3

Yeah, this one should get a lot of obstacles out of peoples way.
Time signature changes, Zplane Elastique integration and improved factory stretching, a new mighty instrument, larger views for many devices...

Good stuff!

Cheers,

Tom

maschinelf wrote:The 2.3 update seems quite impressive, so I will be quite happy with what they delivered in a year.
ThomasHelzle wrote:Yeah, this one should get a lot of obstacles out of peoples way.
Time signature changes, Zplane Elastique integration and improved factory stretching, a new mighty instrument, larger views for many devices...
Add me to the list of folks who is very happy with Bitwig's development over the past 12 months. This 2.3 update looks awesome! Kudo's to the Bitwig devs!!!
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

Return to “Bitwig”