Bitwig's Sampler should be the developer's highest priority

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bitwig's Sampler should be the developer's highest priority.

Yeah, that's a subjective statement, but surely anyone can see that the Sampler in Bitwig is so paltry that it's hardly useful for much beyond maybe multi sample instruments.

Thing is, multi sample instruments seem to want to mimic a synth more than anything else, at which point the sampler function is more there just to be able to playback multiple samples mapped across the keyboard.

As far as creativity is concerned, like for use with single samples, there basically is none. As such the Sampler feels barren. :(

Where is the ping pong looping? The zero point snap? The cross fade looping? That's just to begin with.

To call Bitwig's Sampler "basic" is honestly kind of generous.

I say all this to motivate the developers, not chastize them, because the rest of Bitwig is awesome. :phones:

The Sampler as is just seems out of place, and in need of some love to get up to speed with the rest of what Bitwig has.

Hopefully we see some attention there sooner rather than later. :borg:

Pretty sure sampler will be some sort of paid 3.0 upgrade cause it’s a main change that will effect the whole software, you’re darn right kid, as it is now it’s not a real sampler... but again, off course it’ll be a paid 3.0:er. Pretty predictable! But dope! They deserve their cash!!! .-)

Yeah I'm hoping to see Sampler become a good sound design tool. I don't like the sound of the synthesis tools in Bitwig but a good sample based sound design tool would be nice, especially if they took a cue from Halion and built-in some automatic sampling. That's right make the sampler actually sample! And since in bitwig you can have an instrument plugin and then the sampler after it, both receiving midi, you can have sampler automatically create zones based on the notes played as it captured the incoming audio. How cool would that be.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yeah I'm hoping to see Sampler become a good sound design tool. I don't like the sound of the synthesis tools in Bitwig but a good sample based sound design tool would be nice, especially if they took a cue from Halion and built-in some automatic sampling. That's right make the sampler actually sample! And since in bitwig you can have an instrument plugin and then the sampler after it, both receiving midi, you can have sampler automatically create zones based on the notes played as it captured the incoming audio. How cool would that be.
That would be very cool!! big +1

Samplit 2.1 does exactly that, fully auto multilayer multi velocity samples for hardware (via midi) and VST with added fx etc - worth a look (far more advanced than Halion)

I am also a big fan of sampler track in Cubase, it may not fit the rack approach of Bitwig but it shows you can implement things in different ways, I am sure the Devs will think of something cool.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

For me, round-robin and SFZ support is most desired. SFZ import/export would be super, although, round-robin zones is essential to me.

With all the modulation options they added in the jump to 2.0, the Sampler could turn into a nice granular synth with the ability to modulate the playback position.

Just sayin'. 8)

There's quite a few things they could do to improve the Sampler, and I hope to see all of them very soon! :D

don't be such a cheapskate, buy a DAW for DAW-ing. buy a sampler to sampling, don't harass the dev's with these low priority, subjective muddlings.
Bitwig is what it is because of the insights and skills of the dev's. it is total nonsense that BWS needs a sampler. it's convenient but highest priority? sorry that is absurd. a 3rd party sampler/synth/etc. will always be better because they don't have to maintain a DAW also.
so pick up delivering newspapers again and save for 50 bucks to buy a dedicated sampler, i mean 50 bucks come on.

There’s nothing wrong with requesting improvements to native plugins like the sampler. Native plugins typically have better integration with the DAW, among many other advantages. This is especially true with bitwig where there are slots for FX in feedback path etc. And you don’t need to open a separate floating GUI if the native plugin has its own. This works great, for example, in both Bitwig and Ableton live.

Big +1 for some sampler improvements from me. The Ableton simpler is absolutely brilliant - it’s well integrated, easy to use and flexible.

jbw wrote:With all the modulation options they added in the jump to 2.0, the Sampler could turn into a nice granular synth with the ability to modulate the playback position.
Yeah as long as the modulation is per voice.

quincy wrote:requesting improvements to native plugins
no problems with that, but stating it should be the dev's highest priority?

:dog:

they just want free toys. at the cost of the development of the DAW apparently.

and because abelton has a nice sampler is not a reason to include one in BWS.
and the architecture of bws is so transparent that you can get the same or better results with 3rd party plugins as withe the native ones. as an artist speaking, speaking as a sound engineer i wouldn't know (and don't care)

We’ve all got different priorities and things we’d like to get sooner rather than later. I can accept that a better sampler won’t be everyone’s idea of a priority, that’s fair enough. But this forum is exactly the place for people to think out loud about what they want.

Whatever you want as a priority - that’s all good as well! Speak up - the devs are listening!

No need for anyone to argue about it. The devs will have a roadmap and all our opinions will contribute to that. It’s good to get all the ideas out in the open.

quincy wrote:... I can accept...
phew! lucky me!
quincy wrote: But this forum is exactly the place for people to think out loud about what they want.
indeed, but IMHO not for people who try to win "the argument" before "the discussion" has started by using these subjective overpowered statements, like HIGHEST PRIORITY!! or BWS needs this because LIVE HAS THIS! or BWS needs that because CUBASE HAS THAT!
that is not a forum where i want to share my idea's.

and i hope that the "listening DEV" realizes that his forum doesn't represents "the BWS user".
mostly the loud part.

over-n-out
:tu:

connmach wrote: indeed, but IMHO not for people who try to win "the argument" before "the discussion" has started by using these subjective overpowered statements, like HIGHEST PRIORITY!!
connmach wrote:and i hope that the "listening DEV" realizes that his forum doesn't represents "the BWS user".
mostly the loud part.
I totally agree with both of these. People get overexcited and say “must” have this and “need” to have that. All very subjective! And of course, many users never come here and spend their time producing music and not arguing on a forum! Probably a much better use of time!

However I can’t see the problem with comparing features with other DAWs. Surely people will have features they admire from other similar software? Is this really such a bad thing?

It’s impossible for the devs to please everyone because we all want different things. Hopefully people can try to enjoy what they have and not be stuck on what they THINK they need. But it’s OK to look forward to improvements and have a discussion.

I think we have no argument here! :D

connmach wrote:don't be such a cheapskate, buy a DAW for DAW-ing. buy a sampler to sampling, don't harass the dev's with these low priority, subjective muddlings.
Bitwig is what it is because of the insights and skills of the dev's. it is total nonsense that BWS needs a sampler. it's convenient but highest priority? sorry that is absurd. a 3rd party sampler/synth/etc. will always be better because they don't have to maintain a DAW also.
so pick up delivering newspapers again and save for 50 bucks to buy a dedicated sampler, i mean 50 bucks come on.
It has nothing to do with being cheap. Not sure where you pulled that one from. :?

It wouldn't be that hard to create a kick ass sampler in Bitwig, one that could benefit from the modulators already there, and one that would easily surpass most samplers on the market. This would help distinguish Bitwig even more as a go to DAW, and make it an attractive feature.

Return to “Bitwig”