Can anyone explain Voice Stacking to me?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,
I updated Bitwig to version 2.3 and don't understand voice stacking. Could anyone point me in the right direction? As far as I understand it's not a Bitwig specific term so the explanation doesn't have to use this DAW as an example. I found couple videos on YouTube where people use this new feature but I would like an explanation of what it means, how it's generally used etc. Anything will work (articles, tutorials etc).

Basically it allows you to play several voices simultaneously, with different parameters. This is a commonly used sound-design tool.

This is typically used to add some detuning. So when you play a note, two voices play, sightly detuned. Bitwig implementation is quite flexible so for example you can have 3 voices playing with different filter settings.

You can tweak the per-voice variation pressing the "stack" button. For a creative use, add some spread to the release VCA parameter, for example.

It can also be called unison... though that can be confusing because some synths have unison of just the Osc and not the whole synth voice.

You can also think of voice stack the same as layering multiple instances of the same synth and preset. Then you can adjust the parameters of each instance individually.

Can any one explain what the numbered voices next to the stack button exactly does do?
The voice stack part is clear, however i do not understand this sub-voice assignment at all.

jurij.es.a.szakkor wrote:Can any one explain what the numbered voices next to the stack button exactly does do?
The voice stack part is clear, however i do not understand this sub-voice assignment at all.
You can set parameter values per stacked voice. So for example, you could stack 3 voices and make voice 3 an octave up or down, or a specific filter cutoff value etc. It's a powerful feature.

I'm just now getting into this feature, so far it's cool. AFAICT, it's for internal devices only (no VSTs) - i.e. it requires that separate dedicated window on the built-in devices. Is this the case, or has anyone figured out a clever way to do it with the separate modulator?
Bitwig 2.4 | Intel i9 7940X | Win10 | RME UCX | Focal SM9

Return to “Bitwig”