Bitwig Sampler Cuts frequencies > 15k (majkel was right)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is not by any means a deal breaker, but it is definitely a concern for me. I saw a post by majkel recently showing that BW sampler is cutting some 15k+ frequencies, and I instantly didn't believe it, but then I tested it and the results were a bit shocking!

BW Sampler:
BW Sampler.png
Logic Raw:
Logic Raw.png
The general shape difference is significant, even when considering the natural movement of pink noise. And yes it sounds different too.

It's worth everyone noting as well, that 'Raw' audio mode in BW is definitely better for high frequency playback (it looks the same as the logic response) - think twice before making everything elastique. If it's something you're comfortable with eqing back in etc, then that's totally fine, just be aware that changing to elastique will lose you some of the high frequencies, even if not touching any settings:
Logic Raw.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Have you tried testing it with "use legacy resonance range" disabled? It's enabled by default. You need to right click it to disable it, but then you are not able to enable it again, so don't go making it your new default preset if you care for that option.

Never seen that before, but I tried that and it has no visible effect - I believe that resonance range setting refers to the BW Sampler filter, which is bypassed in my examples.
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Definitely one of the more interesting finds to come out of the that thread.

Not a huge concern for me as I don't really mix with a whole lot going on in the super top end either way, but it would certainly be preferable to allow the user to decide how much high end they do or don't want in their production.

I think somebody suggested that it may have been a fairly naive way of reducing aliasing, which seems quite likely?

Unless you're a dog, bat or a child under 5 years old, I wouldn't worry too much about the 15khz+ range. High frequency hearing goes and most adults can't hear that high anyway, and there's certainly nothing "musical" up there.

Interesting find though.

Unless you're a dog, bat or a child under 5 years old, I wouldn't worry too much about the 15khz+ range. High frequency hearing goes and most adults can't hear that high anyway, and there's certainly nothing "musical" up there.
should we get a special bundle 'Bitwig studio 2 & Dog' to get a proper sound ??

not everyone have a hearing problem like you :?

I don't experience this. What are you people doing to get this to happen? We need concrete, reproducible steps.

Side note: why does your pink noise have +7dB ascent? White noise ascends, but on a logarithmic scale pink should appear flat.

Please folks - get control of the variables. Don't turn this thread into the last one.
Pink Noise Sampler.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitwig 2.4 | Intel i9 7940X | Win10 | RME UCX | Focal SM9

Would be funny if Bitwig devs told in the next update that they've implemented 64-bit summing engine but actually did nothing and people started to tell that their mixes sounds better :hihi:

use a bit os smoothness , beacause those valleys and peaks are not readable..

.50 smoothness - no rolloff.
Pink Noise Sampler2.png
Bitwig 2.4 | Intel i9 7940X | Win10 | RME UCX | Focal SM9

You asked :hihi:

This is what I did:

1: go to http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php
2: download audiocheck.net_pinknoise.wav
3: load up a sampler
4: drag in audiocheck.net_pinknoise.wav
5: load Voxengo SPAN
6: play the audiocheck.net_pinknoise.wav with a midi note
7: look at the same results OP and majkel gets. Trust me, I don't want majkel to be right.

So what gives?
-JH

bitwig test 2 88k wav.jpg
bitwig test 2 44100wav.jpg
reaper test2 44100wav.jpg

hey guys i just made another comparison and discovered that rolling down on 44100sample but when ive been use a high freq test sample 88,8k it didnt..
WTF??

majkel wrote:
should we get a special bundle 'Bitwig studio 2 & Dog' to get a proper sound ??

not everyone have a hearing problem like you :?
I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was speaking to a toddler.

The "mosquito" device used in UK train stations emits a 17khz frequency, to deter teenagers from loitering there. Teenagers, not adults, because the average adult cannot hear a 17khz tone.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scot ... -djxst00c6

Please do a tiny bit of research before insulting me further. My hearing is fine for an adult of my age.

same results with another spectrum analyser from BlueCat vst (but voxengo is the most precise

Please do a tiny bit of research before insulting me further. My hearing is fine for an adult of my age.
i dont need to wikipedia research to know what i can hear.. we not talking about listening mosquitos, but about working in the proper room acoustic studio with pro monitoring.
lots of pro and audiophile audio systems has a freq range up to 30-35khz not because somebody will hear it,but to a feeling of 'opened - airy sound'

i cant understand way you guys are so loath..
we makes a beta testing of things which in ours opinions could be improve.. thats happening for all of us interest. i bought a license like you, i love a bitwig workflow, but i think thats a quality of basic stuff could be a bit better..

Return to “Bitwig”