Is it possible to mute midi in the mixer in 2.4?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

Can you try if in the beta it's possible to mute midi from the mixer using the mute buttons, please?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!

stamp wrote:Hi all!

Can you try if in the beta it's possible to mute midi from the mixer using the mute buttons, please?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!
No. You can only mute individual clips (Alt+A)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I've not had any problems with muting a track with hardware instrument on it.

Thanks for answering.

@ kpv the problem is when monitoring ouside Bitwig.

I don't get why the devs are so stubborn about this. It's since BWS is out that I'm requesting this.
It won't interfere with anyones workflow and make life easier for people who want it to work the way I want it to work.

Well...

stamp wrote:Thanks for answering.

@ kpv the problem is when monitoring ouside Bitwig.

I don't get why the devs are so stubborn about this. It's since BWS is out that I'm requesting this.
It won't interfere with anyones workflow and make life easier for people who want it to work the way I want it to work.

Well...
Oh. Didn't think about that. I've sent in feature request regarding midi mute, and especially midi step input. You should do so as well, maybe those features will be added once 2.4 is relatively stable because so many users are requesting more midi features/piano roll features etc. . .

kpv wrote:I've not had any problems with muting a track with hardware instrument on it.
How did you know he was taking about hardware instrument?! :o

Anyway @stamp, as a workaround you can click on the track header and hit Alt+A which will disable it, so I think it won't send MIDI out.
Music tech enthusiast

@ antic604

Thanks for the workaround but as written in the title I want to use the mixer's mute button/Push' mute button.

Seems like 2.4 will have one of the best midi implementation in DAW land but we still can't mute midi in the mixer.
I find this really weird.

Double post... :dog:

stamp wrote:Seems like 2.4 will have one of the best midi implementation in DAW land but we still can't mute midi in the mixer. I find this really weird.
Have you posted this on the beta forum, or contacted support directly?
Music tech enthusiast

stamp wrote: It's since BWS is out that I'm requesting this.

Yeah, but requesting HOW? If you only write here, then chances are they're not aware.
Music tech enthusiast

I had a discussion with support more than 2 years ago and their answer was that the mixer is for audio only(???).
I later wrote 2 or 3 more times about it. I didn't upgrade to version 2 and of course stopped requesting stuff.

This remembers me track delay which was added at the end since a lot of people were requesting it, but in this case I don't hold my breath.

If anyone has a problem with this please write support!

Cheers!

Do you mean mute MIDI feeding its own track, or MIDI feeding up into a group layer higher up the signal chain?

If you mean the mute button muting MIDI on the source track, then I personally agree with the devs here, that doesn't really fit with Bitwig's signal flow, which as far as I understand is:

Track contents (MIDI or audio clips) are fed into the 'device bar', where they are processed by either VST instruments or VST FX, then the sound generated by those devices is fed up to the track output, where you can change the volume of the output using the track fader, mute it, solo it etc.

At the moment the mute and solo controls come right at the end of the data/audio flow of any given track; if the mute button was changed to mute the MIDI then it would be affecting the data/audio flow right at the start of the process which doesn't fit with the current model.

I'm talking about about pure midi track with no instruments nor audio effects.
For example midi that's going to external hardware devices that are monitored outside BWS.

I tried to give them a lot of reasons to implement it (they could it make an option) but they are stubborn. So I'm back to ableton and will not try bitwig again until they implement this absolutely logic feature!

Return to “Bitwig”