Bitwig 2.4 - CPU Spikes

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kpv wrote:But yes, I've also noticed CPU spikes when opening new project if I recall right - but it happens every time when loading up Phase 4. This is not random spikes and not not a problem in my case, and I can't say I've noticed worse CPU performance with Bitwig 2.4, that's why I posted about DPC latency. :scared:

I hope this behavior can be improved if we report it.
Nature of Bitwig is to be used live and actually I use it mainly in clip launching mode with lower buffers, so it's expected that CPU have quite an cardio to handle all that load, but overall I find Bitwig quite resource hungry, compare to other hosts with same settings/project, there's room for improvement in that aspect for sure.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Yes, there is room for performance improvement for sure... I'm really hoping 2.5 will be infrastructure / midi, audio editing and workflow / performance update... already plenty of features to keep everybody busy for years to come anyway...

I also get spikes as well and it's driving me crazy.

Doing things like bypassing a plugin causes a spike and resulting pop or click in my audio. I spent a long time the other day trying to figure out if the click was coming from an audio sample, my sound card, or bitwig. Turned out I was enabling and disabling a plugin at that point in the track which was causing a spike and stutter in audio.

I'm using a mac however. i7 7700k, 48gb ram, pcie ssd. etc.

I wonder if it has to do with the gui being run completely on cpu.

Anyways this is just getting ridiculous. I'm going to test my other 2 DAWs tonight and verify that it's a Bitwig issue or if it's something else. If the issue is gone in the other DAWs, then I'm done with Bitwig until they fix the performance issues. This is my last song with it. I want to love it. The modulators are amazing, but I can't deal with the performance interrupting my flow constantly anymore.

rodanmusic wrote:I also get spikes as well and it's driving me crazy.

Doing things like bypassing a plugin causes a spike and resulting pop or click in my audio. I spent a long time the other day trying to figure out if the click was coming from an audio sample, my sound card, or bitwig. Turned out I was enabling and disabling a plugin at that point in the track which was causing a spike and stutter in audio.

I'm using a mac however. i7 7700k, 48gb ram, pcie ssd. etc.

I wonder if it has to do with the gui being run completely on cpu.

Anyways this is just getting ridiculous. I'm going to test my other 2 DAWs tonight and verify that it's a Bitwig issue or if it's something else. If the issue is gone in the other DAWs, then I'm done with Bitwig until they fix the performance issues. This is my last song with it. I want to love it. The modulators are amazing, but I can't deal with the performance interrupting my flow constantly anymore.
Hi, this is not so easy.
I have tried almost every daw out there during the years and i can tell you that some daws are much more sensitive to the hardware configuration than the others. For example Tracktion. Sadly, Bitwig is obviously one of them. The smaller team is, the harder is to find these problems.
Companies like Intel and Nvidia with its switching between GTX and integrated GPU dont make things easier. I wouldnt be so hard on Bitwig, I would try to help them if they are open to it...

But truth is that there is not so much DAWS that are so "sensitive". For example Reaper and Renoise, same great performance on every laptop i have. Maybe Retwig wouldnt have these problems :D

Yeah I totally understand it's a small company and these kinds of issues are difficult to resolve.

I personally just can't keep dealing with them anymore when I have different software that run without any issues performance wise.

I've also extensively used almost every major daw out theref and they all have their problems and benefits. I will definitely be returning after some of these issues are improved.

Ok, so it wasnt bitwig fault more than actual configuration. Great.

I have updated the bios and turned off all "cpu enchances" there.. Bitwig has much better performance now. No glitches yet.
Will see if i turn hyperthreading on again. Does somebody know if Bitwig utilizes hyperthreading?

Yup. I’m on a Mac but can confirm all these spikes and related audio dropouts. I hope they fix it before my year runs out. I don’t want to have to buy into another year of a DAW that can’t carry the expected heft expected nowadays for even the most basic systems.

I’m still having the same problem of having dropouts when the cursor on the timeline hits a new MIDI region. I’ve reported repeatedly but they haven’t been able to recreate back at HQ. Driving me nuts.

konXfront wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:42 pm Yup. I’m on a Mac but can confirm all these spikes and related audio dropouts.
Having this since 2.4 as well.
With very moderate overall load (around 20%) 100% spikes occuring from time to time, that results in audio dropout.

I used to have a lot more spikes with an rme 9652 hdsp pci (bridging issue). i upgraded to an hdspe aio and have a lot less spikes, but still some minor clicks& pops with larger projects.
24bit. 44.1khz. - 128 samples buffer
7700@4.9ghz, 16gb, raid 0 970 evo nvme, 1070gt (but graphics doesn't matter anyway yet.)
4 displays.
I can run a full project with 60-80 tracks inkl mastering chain. 10-20 tracks contain synths or kontakt. no bouncing.
I think Bitwig performs ok on windows 10. I hope they incorporate graphics cards.

Hmph, the performance is still inconsistent. It looks like hyperthreading is doing more bad than good. Can anybody confirm? I tried to turn off every advanced cpu technology in bios and it seems that hyperthreading alone is the reason for short 100% cpu spikes. I would love to understand this topic better / do some deeper monitoring.

fwsuperhero wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:34 pm Hmph, the performance is still inconsistent. It looks like hyperthreading is doing more bad than good. Can anybody confirm? I tried to turn off every advanced cpu technology in bios and it seems that hyperthreading alone is the reason for short 100% cpu spikes. I would love to understand this topic better / do some deeper monitoring.
in bios, i set the cpu to a constant clock, so no dynamic power saving/throttling. maybe it helps u as well? (windows power saving options are deactivated too). if u are using an usb interface, maybe usb power saving has an effect.

bitwigs performance is far from perfect, but its production features are mind blowing :D

astey wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 pm
fwsuperhero wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:34 pm Hmph, the performance is still inconsistent. It looks like hyperthreading is doing more bad than good. Can anybody confirm? I tried to turn off every advanced cpu technology in bios and it seems that hyperthreading alone is the reason for short 100% cpu spikes. I would love to understand this topic better / do some deeper monitoring.
in bios, i set the cpu to a constant clock, so no dynamic power saving/throttling. maybe it helps u as well? (windows power saving options are deactivated too). if u are using an usb interface, maybe usb power saving has an effect.

bitwigs performance is far from perfect, but its production features are mind blowing :D
Yep, i have set it to maximaly performance. But then i turned the hyperthreading ON and the spikes are back again. I dont have energy to try every possible combination in the bios but maybe there is no other way around :)

I am not sure if hyperthreading would help at all in general for a single audio program. That is more for have running different programs at the same time. In the end it cannot make your processor faster, but would create more need of inter thread communication - more extra cycles...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 am I am not sure if hyperthreading would help at all in general for a single audio program. That is more for have running different programs at the same time. In the end it cannot make your processor faster, but would create more need of inter thread communication - more extra cycles...
I tend to agree :)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=501282&p=7028695#p7028695
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”