Roli Seaboard Rise Built-in Script Bug

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I recently discovered through an arduous process of trial and error that in order to use the Seaboard Rise faders with a custom CC I have to change my controller type to "Seaboard Grand" in the controllers panel.

Context: I wanted to change the MIDI CC value emitted by the three faders on the Seaboard, so I did so in the Dashboard application. Naturally, I have my Seaboard Rise set as a Seaboard Rise controller in the controllers panel.

I changed the left fader to CC 1 because presets on most VSTs use mod wheel for expression and the Seaboard has no mod wheel. Moving the fader does not transmit any MIDI data to VSTs, nor to Bitwig native devices. I pulled up a MIDI modulator to see what is going on and the MIDI modulator displays no activity for CC 1. I tried this with different CC values on all three faders and got the same result.

I ended up switching my controller type to Seaboard Grand because I suspect it has something to do with the "soft controller assignments" that Bitwig has for the Seaboard Rise. To my surprise, I am able to use custom CC values on the faders now, but they are no longer auto-mapped to parameters in Bitwig Devices; that is the only functionality that is lost by changing the controller type, so it's not a huge deal.

What is frustrating is there appears to be no way for the user to edit the controller script for the Rise nor can the user remove the "soft controller assignments:" only override them; however, overriding the "soft" assignments means that the faders are still tied to the default CC values and not able to be set to the traditional CC values that most VSTs use and expect.

I've searched here, the manual, and Bitwig's website and found nothing. Have I missed something totally obvious that I can fix, or is this just a bug?

You can edit the Bitwig controller scripts directly, it`s just a little complicated. The script files should be located under C/program files/Bitwig Studio/resources/controllers/roli
There should be a file called "Seaboard RISE.control.js", you can open and edit it in a text editor (like Notepad). It´s gonna be a wall of text, but the fader and X/Y-pad cc assignments are at the very bottom, just look for their default values (107, 109, 111, and for X/Y-pad 113, 114) and you should find them pretty quickly. To change the left fader to cc1, you simply replace "107" with "1", save the document (be sure it keeps the .js file type) and it should work.
Of course back up the "Seaboard RISE.control.js" file before you change anything.

SonnyW wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am You can edit the Bitwig controller scripts directly, it`s just a little complicated. The script files should be located under C/program files/Bitwig Studio/resources/controllers/roli
There should be a file called "Seaboard RISE.control.js", you can open and edit it in a text editor (like Notepad). It´s gonna be a wall of text, but the fader and X/Y-pad cc assignments are at the very bottom, just look for their default values (107, 109, 111, and for X/Y-pad 113, 114) and you should find them pretty quickly. To change the left fader to cc1, you simply replace "107" with "1", save the document (be sure it keeps the .js file type) and it should work.
Of course back up the "Seaboard RISE.control.js" file before you change anything.
Hmm, I’ll check it out. Last night when I went to edit it I only saw a script for the Grand.

SonnyW wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am You can edit the Bitwig controller scripts directly, it`s just a little complicated. The script files should be located under C/program files/Bitwig Studio/resources/controllers/roli
So I searched my whole computer using File explorer and there is no controller script for the RISE on my computer. Do you have one? I'm on 2.4.2

I just looked and it really seems like the Seaboard controller script has been replaced with the "built in" script on version 2.4.2.
I think the "soft controller assignments" will only work with this built in script, they don't show up when I use my backup of the old file. Bitwig also seems to default back to the "built in" option whenever I close and reopen the program, and while I was able to solve this issue by renaming the script, the automapped controls still don't work.
If you PM me your email address I can send you the files, should still be better than using the Seaboard Grand script, since the Grand doesn't allow you to set pitchbend ranges.

Oh and I also noticed that the "built in" script doesn't seem to work well with Equator. Tried pretty much everything, but I can't get the X/Y-pad or faders to respond. Works perfectly fine with the old script.

SonnyW wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 pm I just looked and it really seems like the Seaboard controller script has been replaced with the "built in" script on version 2.4.2.
I think the "soft controller assignments" will only work with this built in script, they don't show up when I use my backup of the old file. Bitwig also seems to default back to the "built in" option whenever I close and reopen the program, and while I was able to solve this issue by renaming the script, the automapped controls still don't work.
If you PM me your email address I can send you the files, should still be better than using the Seaboard Grand script, since the Grand doesn't allow you to set pitchbend ranges.

Oh and I also noticed that the "built in" script doesn't seem to work well with Equator. Tried pretty much everything, but I can't get the X/Y-pad or faders to respond. Works perfectly fine with the old script.
Thank you for the info! Hopefully Bitwig addresses this issue in an upcoming update. Since I have no need to change the pitch bend range ATM I'm doing okay with the GRAND script; I appreciate the offer though.

I am having the same problem since 2.4.2, can no longer use the X Y pad or the other modifier controls. The MPE works but not the modifier controls. Seaboard Rise 25.

Return to “Bitwig”