How does Bitwig's native eq hold up against something like Fabfilter's Pro Q?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Bitwig EQ is fine, it does what an EQ is supposed to do. But there are tons more features on Pro Q to help you. Bitwig EQ doesn't compare at all to Pro Q when it comes to features. Pro Q is for getting really surgical, the hi and lo cuts are really flexible. The new Pro Q 3 has even more options and features.
It depends if you want all those features though. Sometimes there's a lot to say for keeping things simple and getting the job done quickly. I still use the BW EQ for that.

AirEQ is another good one. Fabfilter is more for surgical work. AirEQ is more a sweetening EQ, use it on your bus etc.
Last edited by craigtumps on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

This is a good course to follow. He uses Pro Q a lot. Helped me heaps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .mixing101
Bitwig since 1.0

There have been some really helpful replies in this thread! Thank you everyone.

Short answer: there's no question whatsoever that Pro-Q is a far better and more capable EQ. But that's to be expected.

Toneboosters EQ is really good too and inexpensive. If you have the itch to buy an EQ, demo them. Tried the demo, as Reelbus4 demo came with all the other VST demos. Version3 EQ is super sick, simple, and comes bundled in Track Essentials 3 with other good plugs for $23. Version 4 is $34 by itself and is sorta like Pro Q. I actually preferred Version3 from bundle, as bands are colored coded, it’s simpler, and doesnt have that annoying floating menu. You can get super steep cutoffs with the Toneboosters stuff as well. It really punches higher than the price suggest. Pretty much all of their plugs do. Take a look at Version3. You might like it and get other goodies with it for $23.

+1 for Toneboosters. I dont use their EQ much cos I already had Pro Q but I love their limiter and Reelbus4. Really good value plugins.
Bitwig since 1.0

brownerthanu wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:00 pm If you mean it’s not for surgical work yes that’s true. But it’s quite good for toneshaping. It’s more useful in that realm than many other eqs I’ve used.
Agreed

May I suggest to look to OvertoneDSP plugins?
I find their hardware emulations useful and pretty low on cpu, like the "pultec" style eqs.
Also the af210 eq sounds good to me.
I complement Bitwig natives with their... Expecially on voices and basses... and drum kicks...
just 2c

fsciarra62 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:42 pm May I suggest to look to OvertoneDSP plugins?
I find their hardware emulations useful and pretty low on cpu, like the "pultec" style eqs.
I complement Bitwig natives with their... Expecially on voices and basses... and drum kicks...
just 2c
Yes, i like overtonedsp plugins also. Use them Very much, and right now it Very cheap to buy, 10£ i think.

fsciarra62 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:42 pm May I suggest to look to OvertoneDSP plugins?
just 2c
If you are going to enter the world of plugin purchases.. here's my 2p

Pro EQ is the best EQ. Instead of wasting money on lots of EQ's, you'll eventually realise that Pro EQ beats everything else hands down and you'll be wondering why you spent money on all those others because you were procrastinating buying fabfilter's EQ

As others have said, toneboosters Eq is great and even better in the v4 incarnation.

af210m is really musical. When I eq with it my stuff sounds better. I don't know what it is about the EQ, it just sounds nice and smooth. I don't like his interfaces unfortunately. Personal choice.

Bitwig eq gets the job done. it's too fiddly for my liking. I like the fact that they like Ableton make the display bigger but then the controls are not on the bigger display like they are on the fabfilter
Last edited by greenfly on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitwig EQ is "decent" and I have no worries using it in various projects. Usually I reach for it more in the production stages. Its quick, easy, light cpu, and works great with the native modulators (which run at samplerate).

When "mixing" (and often mastering) I tend to reach for FabQ. Sounds very good (fairly colourless & precise) but it's the interface & workflow that makes it a true pleasure to use. Once you start using it you'll know exactly what I mean. :-). Currently mixing an opera album and it's filled with FabQ2.

Conclusion: Could you do good mixes with BW native eq alone? Yes, sure. Could you get there faster & with more precision with FabQ - yes.

Best
Dale

I am amazed that helpful suggestions are still coming in!

I am very much leaning towards a 3rd part EQ. The two main contenders are Pro Q and DMG EQuilibrium.

Will check out the Tonebooster offering, though.

Thanks everyone.

Ps meant to say Overtones.
Last edited by lickle_emu on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The one general purpose EQ to rule them all is FabFilter Pro-Q3. Don't hesitate.

That said, as you get more exacting about your mixing and mastering, you'll also want to pick up some classic analog modeled EQs for "color". Some type of Pultec EQ, some type of SSL EQ, and maybe some type of Neve EQ. People will argue about "the best" of these, but all the Waves variations get the job done even if they're not perfect.
Last edited by Yokai on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hehe. You slipped into compressor land there. :)

brownerthanu wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:59 am Hehe. You slipped into compressor land there. :)
Doh! You’re right, lol.

Return to “Bitwig”