BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yokai wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:00 pm
xbitz wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Yokai wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:56 pm ....
In Ableton you can easily specify min and max ranges for a macro knob (for example) in an "inspector panel" kind of way. But the Bitwig design principle is to make such details more VISUAL. They prefer you to set some target knob to its min (or max) value, and then assign a macro modulator to it and VISUALLY just set where range of movement should end, relative to that starting point. Yes, they do give you an inspector panel for the modulator to adjust that visually-assigned "range" value, but you have no way at all to fine-tune the starting value of the target knob. The Bitwig design always requires you to touch two different things to effectively set the exact min/max for a constrained range of values.
hmmm
the routing is for homework :D

btw. the quantize (QUA) operator is missing from the docs
15.18.2.8. Math
One control source derived from two continuous knob controls. The output signal is a mathematical relation of the two signals, which is derived either by MUL(tiplying), ADD(ing), or SUB(tracting) the two signals, or simply taking the MIN(imum) or MAX(imum) of the two values.
so it even works using discrete steps too
That's a neat trick, and TBH I had overlooked the MIN/MAX aspects of the Math modulator! But it's also kinda counter intuitive, and look how you had to set up THREE different modulators (and puzzle out the the inter-modulation among all three, and empirically "test" where to set the 2nd knob in both Math modulators) to do what in Ableton is a simple and very intutive matter of setting a specific min value and a specific max value on a single macro knob. ;)
ok we're officially no too smart ones :clown:
done, and the non-documented QUA operator
also lovely, and it's still not absolute "just" asymmetric quantised relative modulation, respect to Bitwig 8)
Last edited by xbitz on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:54 pm ok we're officially no too smart ones :clown:
done
Hahah nice that's actually a really clean approach! Would be a fun way to throw a ton of modulation sources on a single parameter and make sure it's always bounded.

Yes! I’d never have thought to use “Mix” that way, because, you know, it looks like a DJ crossfader.

Can you map that crossfader to a knob in the remote control panel? If so, WIN for an easy approach to making a constrained, intuitive min-max style of macro

^^^ yepp (crossfader and A,B values too), so we've got macro which even the range can be modulated, gonna remember it :tu: , Jesus and it's not even the Grid :o

>>
:D at least something new has been learnt today
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 pm ^^^ yepp (crossfader and A,B values too), so we've got macro which even the range can be modulated, gonna remember it :tu: , Jesus and it's not even the Grid :o

>>
Nice!

It would be great for the community to have a series of tutorials on the not so obvious use cases for various Bitwig modulators and devices.

Broken wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 pm
xbitz wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 pm ^^^ yepp (crossfader and A,B values too), so we've got macro which even the range can be modulated, gonna remember it :tu: , Jesus and it's not even the Grid :o

>>
Nice!

It would be great for the community to have a series of tutorials on the not so obvious use cases for various Bitwig modulators and devices.
I have a couple different publishing platforms. (Not just YouTube.) And I do tech writing for my income so stuff like this is fairly easy for me to produce. I’ll take a stab at some centralized set of how-to tips in this vein.

An example of my written stuff:
https://producerdojo.com/baphy-ruins-sample-rate/

Concerning the whole get-the-min-max-functionality-using-modulators thing:
The only functionality that can't be memed by Bitwigs modulators is, that you can type exact min max values with the correct unit (e.g. Hz for Cutoff) that the macro will cover. Nevertheless mapping a 'macro' in Ableton to a single parameter it's just like reducing the actual knob range. Mapping it to multiple parameters is like picking the (reduced) ranges of different knobs and assign them to a single knob. And each assigned parameter becomes unavailable for adjusting. After assigning the macro targets their valuebehaviour only can be manipulated using the min/max ranges.

Yeah, that's why I bought version 1.0X (don't know exactly anymore) of Bitwig Studio right away :)

Also don't forget: you can right-click any knob that is modulated and select a modulation amount to be edited (or remove the modulation assgignment). Sometimes I wish I could shift-click knobs when being in modulation edit mode to type in exact mod amounts right in place. But until now the devs seem to ignore this feature request or have reasons not to implement it.

Ok, but when I want to keep BWS1, I have to purchase a new license, I guess. The trouble is: I have no clue if I can get things sound even better in BWS3. Supposedly, a mind cannot be blown twice.

@Yokai

That would be very useful. Great article on sample rate and SRC too.

Yokai wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 pm
Broken wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 pm

>>
Nice!

I have a couple different publishing platforms. (Not just YouTube.) And I do tech writing for my income so stuff like this is fairly easy for me to produce. I’ll take a stab at some centralized set of how-to tips in this vein.

An example of my written stuff:
https://producerdojo.com/baphy-ruins-sample-rate/

Tidy bit of modulation there. I love seeing what people do with BWS.

Can i just ask (to anybody reading)...how many of you are using hardware synths with Bitwig?
I have spent all my resources on plugins for god knows how long now, perhaps its time for a change.
People seem to have such a good experience using hardware with Bitwig (for obvious reasons)
I suppose i just always told myself 'we have practically caught up in the digital world' when it comes to synthesis.
However, with so many awesome synths costing very little, along with switching to Bitwig, it seems kind of silly not to

I use a small Eurorack via Expert Sleeper’s ES-6 and a Moog Sub 37.

I've Apollo 8 and Mio 10 MIDI to support a bit of hardware, Cheetah MS6 (Maad), Roland XP50, SIDStation Ninja, Toraiz AS-1, Audiothingies MicroMonsta and Analog HEAT. But in all honesty, I use in-the-box VST/FX much more than any hardware.

I'd probably use @brownerthanu setup more!

I run an Analog 4 using overbridge over USB which makes sound creation so much easier, even if the sounds have to be stored on the machine.
Last edited by Onya Malloy on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pmCan i just ask (to anybody reading)...how many of you are using hardware synths with Bitwig?
I integrate my euro system with BWS via 2 ea ES-3's and ES-6's, plus an ES-8 for portable use. ADAT via MOTU. Works seamlessly. CV in and out work great, and now that it's coming inside The Grid, that's even cooler!
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

I am running 2 x ES-3 so I have 16CV outs to my Eurorack (From an X32 ADAT)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”