Bitwig 3.1 - are you upgrading?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excellent list, I saw it years ago...
Step recording, linked clips, piano roll improvements, default track devices, onset threshold - easily adjust the sensitivity of onset detection, convolution device, track status indicators, always-on MIDI recording, etc. are the "real" updates I am looking for.

Of course I am upgrading (Or I would if I needed to. I am always on the plan since I want to contribute to the continual development of Bitwig).

Just the possibility to have more tonalities is worth the upgrade for me.

But I still have the following top FRs:
- comping
- ARA

Still on the plan. It wouldn't be the upgrade that would make me pay. But I like the direction it's going. I study music theory and this is huge if you were going for a micro tonal lo fi hip hop Vibe. Adam Neely would approve. Very easy to do, and normal very complicated in a majority of daws.

I learned how to stop moaning about comping and tempo mapping(biggest thing me when doing rock music). Using a crack of studio one until I can afford buying it. Problem solved. (I don't advocate piracy, if after testing it you see your self continually using it support the devs)

Yeah, many items on shadiradio's list hit the mark for me. :pray: Right now that external audio editor feature would come in really handy, for example. I've been fighting BWS on that for a few months now. S%# won't update the file unless I delete the clip in BWS, rename the edited file and drag it back in which is often inconvenient. If I don't rename the file it's like I never edited it. :bang:

While I'm at it, I ended up removing all paths to my sample library, plugin presets, ect and I keep all my projects on another drive and off of BWS radar because BWS wants to index all of these on every launch. It annoys the $%#t out of me and takes a long time. It's so much better without that slow indexing.

Also, that pop up on launch: "Some installed packages can be updated". I don't want to. I want to set it on fire. OK now I'm nitpicking, I should go to sleep. :zzz:
-JH

Dp
Last edited by SLiC on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:02 am
hands wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:25 am
Using a crack of studio one until I can afford buying it. Problem solved. (I don't advocate piracy, if after testing it you see your self continually using it support the devs)
Why would you want to tell people you use pirated software? You test software with the demo, so there is no justification for warez, ever.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ihearanewworld wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 am
antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm To make it more tangible, if you're on 3.0.3 and your upgrade plan has already expired or expires shortly - will you consider extending it due to features added in 3.1 (beta)?

I'm frankly very underwhelmed :(

1) I don't care about micro-pitch device, to "wobble" the tune of my instruments or use exotic tunings. And I doubt more than 5% of user base cares about it either. Producers nowadays have so little regard to make their tracks sounding musical that we should actually try & help them get better, not worse…
Considerably more than 5% of the world uses different forms of tuning than the 12 pitch classes that every other DAW employs. Does the music from these places sound “worse”?

Personally, this update moves me from “interested” to “definitely purchasing”.
Well, Logic had microtuning since the old days...Looks like nobody really cared.

Enrize wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 am
ihearanewworld wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 am
antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm To make it more tangible, if you're on 3.0.3 and your upgrade plan has already expired or expires shortly - will you consider extending it due to features added in 3.1 (beta)?

I'm frankly very underwhelmed :(

1) I don't care about micro-pitch device, to "wobble" the tune of my instruments or use exotic tunings. And I doubt more than 5% of user base cares about it either. Producers nowadays have so little regard to make their tracks sounding musical that we should actually try & help them get better, not worse…
Considerably more than 5% of the world uses different forms of tuning than the 12 pitch classes that every other DAW employs. Does the music from these places sound “worse”?

Personally, this update moves me from “interested” to “definitely purchasing”.
Well, Logic had microtuning since the old days...Looks like nobody really cared.

Was that for each individual VST or the whole DAW? (looks good, but many of us can't use Logic!!!)

Its per project. I only trying to say that microtuning was in a DAWs before, and it got a little interest. I doubt the situation will change with Bitwig, even that implementation in Bitwig is a lot better, i admit it.

I 100% agree micro tuning isn't mainstream, but I don't think BWS ever set out to be 'mainstream' and a lot of people into CV (one of BWS strong points) are in to this type of thing as well.

My theory (purely section, no facts!) is that its is hard to get people to move from mainstream DAWS that already have tons of features BWS doesn't yet have...but they may move people 1% at a time with unique and niche features whilst they are adding the bread and butter stuff that other DAWS already have....but that is like hitting a moving target as the other DAWS keep adding stuff as well!

Hm, yeah. I am a bit unsatisfied. They said it will be a big update about workflow improvements. I sent them a big list with a lot of ideas which are easy to implement, often the ideas copied from Renoise. Seems like they do not care at all, or cannot imagine how much easier workflow gets if small additions and comfort is added. Or do you think this is just a minor intermediate update, and the big one will come around December or so? Not even the render dialogue was updated, I still have to change the filename with each song revision. :party: Can't they hire another programmer?

Regarding microtuning, most synths have microtuning inside. So I absolutely do not need this. It's fine that Bitwig internals now can do that, but selling this as a main feature? :?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:42 pm They said it will be a big update about workflow improvements.
Did they? I have never seen anything from the BW team about this- where did you see it?

They posted that multiple times. I don't know where that was.

I remember them saying they intended to work on workflow stuff... not that there would be one big update focused on that. I think the later concept came from enthusiastic users...

I like the micro tuning stuff... look forward to trying it out.

If the graphics performance on Mac is appreciably better, that would sweet.

I approach the thread question differently. For at least the next few years, I’m just gonna upgrade as soon as my previous is done cause I’m overall pretty happy with Bitwig for my modest needs.

I’d be happy to have some workflow improvements (which there are a few each new version), but I also like the new stuff they come out with. The Grid is useful to me.

As someone who uses MPE regularly, there are a number of improvements in 3.1 that I am excited about since they make MPE more flexible.

I appreciate that they don’t just add me too features. They keep adding creative and fresh stuff and I look forward to finding creative uses for it.

If I want comping, I’ll just use another DAW. I think one can draw the conclusion at this point that the Bitwig Devs are more interested in pursuing their own creative vision rather than making Bitwig an amalgamation of the main linear DAW features. I’m fine with that.

This update is focused on pitch. Maybe the next one will be phase with groove stuff.

The graphics performance on mac is the same, I was wrong above.

Return to “Bitwig”