Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Logarithmic Waveform is my biggest wish. I can't edit in Bitwig the way I need it.
Adaptive tempo recognition, creating a tempo map out of a given performance, be it audio or Midi. (The opposite of quantizing)
A default state for new tracks. I don't want to do the same procedure on every new track I create (Midich > same, automonitor off, PB to expression off in my case).

Midi Grid
Live capture
Just one browser (dockable)

+ Video playback (maybe even simple edit stuff)
+ (proper) network collaboration (like working remotely on the same google doc), also making it possible to locally connect multiple computers and also synchronize playback (but also project content still) to spread some CPU resources
+ scoring/comping/ARA integration/note stretching/S1-like mastering/S1-like show mode features are welcome as well
+ Bitwig embedded version/(game) audio engine - for including Bitwig projects/presets dynamically into software/websites/installations/gadgets/hardware instruments (thinking of removing all features of a Bitwig project that aren't needed and compile it down to efficiently run only the needed parts)

dellboy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm Not whats in it - but something outside of it - the license model.

It might just as well include a monthly rental option now that Studio One has gone that way.

Somewhere between 20 - 30 euros monthly.
The advantage Presonus has is that the sub includes all the paid plugins + sound packs + cloud storage + communication / (off-line) collaboration features. Also I wouldn't be using Bitwig if this was the only option, so I'd hope it's just that - an option for those that'd for some reason want it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

As a long time Cubase user (20 years), and previous betatester of Studio One v1:
let Bitwig devs focus on what Bitwig should excel at!

- No scoring (already good in Cubase and Studio One). Dont make Bitwig into a traditional daw. Please.

- Video but only IF its better or can offer something new/else than the competition. Maybe video playback as clips so you can sync scenes easily. Something more creative than the ordinary video playback.

- Network collab is incredibly hard to get right and would demand alot of resources from the devs. *If* done right this would be a game changer. No other DAW really succeeded (just look at Ohmforce who went out of business because of their collab daw which never took off).

cnt wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am- No scoring (already good in Cubase and Studio One). Dont make Bitwig into a traditional daw. Please.
While I can see your point here (and I couldn't care less for notation or expression maps, personally) I also think that Bitwig needs to put their eggs into multiple baskets - some more than the others, obviously - to survive on this super competitive market. If DAWs like DP or Logic get basic clip launchers, then Bitwig should offer at least rudimentary "composer" features, IMO.

Obviously I'm aware this is difficut with 5 devs and 3 OS-es (+ARM very soon), but otherwise the risk is they'll end up like Renoise, MuLab or Usine Hollyhock - beloved by a small crowd of faithful nerds. Unless that's good enough for them, who knows :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I'm OK with different products having different focus. When products try to "do everything" you tend to end up with something that's either bloated, difficult to use or both. If all the DAWs (or any other class of product) all try to have every feature then they just converge in the boring middle. That's no fun and it doesn't encourage healthy competition and variety.

I'm just a hobbyist and I understand that there are professional users that "need" certain features to do their job but, frankly, if you're making a living from it then you can probably afford to buy 2 or 3 products that each have a specific strength. Graphic designers I know, for example, have some vector graphics software and some pixel graphics software. They serve different purposes with a common goal in the end.

Personally I think it's likely that they'll continue to differentiate themselves from the pack with features that focus on pushing the envelope for sound designers and non-linear music production. They're got very little to gain from trying to muscle in on much bigger companies that have established products and bigger resources. If you've got a small team then it's better business to stay focused on your USP. I've seen this from working in tech start-ups. You don't actually need to compete with bigger companies if you have a smaller market but one with users that are loyal to the path that you're taking.

Trying to be all things to all people very rarely works out.

to name a few for me:

1) manual entry of external hardware CC assignment
2) tempo per track

quincy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm I'm OK with different products having different focus. When products try to "do everything" you tend to end up with something that's either bloated, difficult to use or both. If all the DAWs (or any other class of product) all try to have every feature then they just converge in the boring middle. That's no fun and it doesn't encourage healthy competition and variety.

I'm just a hobbyist and I understand that there are professional users that "need" certain features to do their job but, frankly, if you're making a living from it then you can probably afford to buy 2 or 3 products that each have a specific strength. Graphic designers I know, for example, have some vector graphics software and some pixel graphics software. They serve different purposes with a common goal in the end.

Personally I think it's likely that they'll continue to differentiate themselves from the pack with features that focus on pushing the envelope for sound designers and non-linear music production. They're got very little to gain from trying to muscle in on much bigger companies that have established products and bigger resources. If you've got a small team then it's better business to stay focused on your USP. I've seen this from working in tech start-ups. You don't actually need to compete with bigger companies if you have a smaller market but one with users that are loyal to the path that you're taking.

Trying to be all things to all people very rarely works out.
+1

antic604 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:57 am
cnt wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am- No scoring (already good in Cubase and Studio One). Dont make Bitwig into a traditional daw. Please.
While I can see your point here (and I couldn't care less for notation or expression maps, personally) I also think that Bitwig needs to put their eggs into multiple baskets - some more than the others, obviously - to survive on this super competitive market. If DAWs like DP or Logic get basic clip launchers, then Bitwig should offer at least rudimentary "composer" features, IMO.

Obviously I'm aware this is difficut with 5 devs and 3 OS-es (+ARM very soon), but otherwise the risk is they'll end up like Renoise, MuLab or Usine Hollyhock - beloved by a small crowd of faithful nerds. Unless that's good enough for them, who knows :shrug:
Bitwig has already established their own place in the DAW world and they are building on it. They are doing fine and can just keep doing what they are doing.

cnt wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am
- No scoring (already good in Cubase and Studio One). Dont make Bitwig into a traditional daw. Please.
Yah but I dont like those :wink: , plus I am on Linux and big fan of the "less is more" mantra (at least in terms of DAWs and equipment).

I dont want to know 3 or 4 DAWs, just so I can use a a few features in each of them.

A extra is that I would really like to see Bitwig take on workflow with scoring.

I would also really is to see them doing an embedded version of bitwig, so we could have a hardware standalone with Bitwig installed that could double as a controller.

Like Akai Force, which is becoming my sole piece of music production. Not needing to turn on the PC for doing music is a small blessing IMO.

antic604 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am
dellboy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm Not whats in it - but something outside of it - the license model.

It might just as well include a monthly rental option now that Studio One has gone that way.

Somewhere between 20 - 30 euros monthly.
The advantage Presonus has is that the sub includes all the paid plugins + sound packs + cloud storage + communication / (off-line) collaboration features. Also I wouldn't be using Bitwig if this was the only option, so I'd hope it's just that - an option for those that'd for some reason want it.
A rental plan is not something I would want, but it might appeal to someone who could not afford to buy outright.

In fact the whole idea of rental and subscription plans is not something I personally wish to see, but I think the tide is slowly going to turn in that direction.

I have just been looking at the Pro Tools web page to see whether it is still possible to buy outright, and a " perpetual license" is still an option but is buried in subscription offers.

Now that Presonus are offering something like rental, how long will it be before others follow ?

Since Macs are going to Arm processors, maybe there will eventually be an iOS version of Bitwig. That would be sweet!

Does Bitwig have audio slip editing ?

I have searched but have not been able to find it.

Its probably right in front of me.

I am sure it must be there somewhere, but assuming its not yet included it would be my feature request.

Return to “Bitwig”