Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRAF
8939 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 pm

AcrossTheSky wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:46 am
..... Bitwig Studio 3.0 [released 10 Jul 2019] .....

That is a loooong time ago .. - interesting - now I kind of get all the talk about the 4.0 release ...

Is it really going to be full of new - anticipated features release you 8) think ??
I don't know but I'm glad I haven't had an active upgrade plan in about four months since there's ben nothing that I've cared about. But I'm not complaining. This is where it works pretty good. I don't need to purchase an upgrade plan until something comes along that I want.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 pm
AcrossTheSky wrote:

That is a loooong time ago .. - interesting - now I kind of get all the talk about the 4.0 release ...

Is it really going to be full of new - anticipated features release you 8) think ??
I don't know but I'm glad I haven't had an active upgrade plan in about four months since there's ben nothing that I've cared about. But I'm not complaining. This is where it works pretty good. I don't need to purchase an upgrade plan until something comes along that I want.
What surprises me in a good way about the update plans is I've been out of a plan since November, and every update since then I've qualified for. it seems it's major point versions that Bitwig count, so 3.3.2 was where I was in November I believe, and I've gotten at least four minor updates since then. I suppose at 3.4.0 is when I will no longer qualify for updates. So it really makes sense to wait until you can't update anymore before activating your plan, I've gotten 4 months so far.

KVRAF
8939 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:45 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 pm
AcrossTheSky wrote:

What surprises me in a good way about the update plans is I've been out of a plan since November, and every update since then I've qualified for. it seems it's major point versions that Bitwig count, so 3.3.2 was where I was in November I believe, and I've gotten at least four minor updates since then. I suppose at 3.4.0 is when I will no longer qualify for updates. So it really makes sense to wait until you can't update anymore before activating your plan, I've gotten 4 months so far.
Yeah that's true as well. I'm in a similar boat. I've recently received update notifications while my plan is expired. I guess they need to to do that for updates that are mainly bug fix updates. I'm not sure what is official included in an expired plan. Maybe it's the .x updates only that are not included like you say.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

7962 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:33 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 pm
What surprises me in a good way...
How is it still surprising? ;)

https://www.bitwig.com/support/shop_lic ... an-work-5/
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian
1204 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:08 am

Am afraid it has no MPA.

KVRian
984 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:06 am

MIDI Grid is my number one hope for v4. There are a couple of third party M4L devices I miss and I'm keen to be able to recreate them as Grid patches.
Always Read the Manual!

KVRAF
18483 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:06 am

PieBerger wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:06 am
MIDI Grid is my number one hope for v4. There are a couple of third party M4L devices I miss and I'm keen to be able to recreate them as Grid patches.
Same here... Midi Grid would allow me to make various sequencers. Midi Grid will be so powerful for sequencing VST's and also for Hardware!

KVRian
565 posts since 17 Jan, 2005 from London

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:38 am

pdxindy wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:06 am
PieBerger wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:06 am
Same here... Midi Grid would allow me to make various sequencers. Midi Grid will be so powerful for sequencing VST's and also for Hardware!
That, combined with the ability to have at least one level of sub-grids - I'm not looking for full object-oriented inheritance, just a way of breaking complexity down into more than one level. Otherwise, the danger is that as soon as grids reach any level of power, their complexity shoots up exponentially.

KVRAF
2734 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:56 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:06 am
This is exactly what I'm hoping for from bitwig next - the ability to really let loose with modular sequencing of my plugin library.

KVRer
2 posts since 30 Jul, 2020

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 am

Yes, midi grid pls
The modulator stuff is already pretty powerful but midi grid ftw

KVRAF

Topic Starter

7962 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:05 am

All of you asking for MIDI Grid - is this only for adding multi-channel MIDI note CV, gate & CC (+MPE perhaps) out, or you actually also have some new dedicated modules in mind, too? If so, what are they?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
61 posts since 26 Apr, 2018

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:47 am

While I probably wouldn't know how to use it, some form of programmable (algorhythmic or propbabability based etc) control of adding new midi notes to what's playing potentailly opens up things like Scaler or more complex arpegiators.

KVRAF
2734 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:35 am

I think simply adding some new modules for midi out would add a lot of power (since you could use existing modules for midi in including MPE expressions, act on them as control voltages, then translate them back into MPE output in most cases) but I certainly wouldn't complain if we also got a bunch of new sequencing toys alongside of it (or some type of "build your own GUI" option to hide the mess and expose the important parameters for performance and composition - whether that takes the form of "sub grids" as people have been asking for or not IDK)

KVRAF
3297 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:55 am

Is there anywhere a sentence on the Bitwig website about the possibility of the grid going MIDI out?
Just curious if I missed and a “planned” possibility for v4.
Diva - Dune - Omnisphere - Serum - Spire

KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:40 pm

liquidsound wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:55 am
Is there anywhere a sentence on the Bitwig website about the possibility of the grid going MIDI out?
Just curious if I missed and a “planned” possibility for v4.
I don't remember anything about a specific roadmap, but MIDI in the Grid I'm pretty sure has been mentioned. It's a 100% natural progression. I get that they're not going to go 100% MAX 4 Live on us here, but even then, the integration will hopefully be deeper and less of a hassle than M4L.

Return to “Bitwig”