Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRist
451 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Post Tue May 04, 2021 12:40 am

Dionysos wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 am
antismap wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:13 pm
Not being able to slice in the sampler is the most annoying missing thing for me right now.
Even if I'm almost ok with the "slice to multisample at onsets" workaround for now. But editing the slices afterwards require more work (you need to select both samples and move the end / start point).
Agree. It's just like you say, technically the Sampler + the "Slice to drum machine/multisampler" macros do what's needed, but practically it's a very static workflow where adjusting slices after the fact and especially experimenting and playing with slices, is very cumbersome.

I "work around" it by using an external plugin for it (Serato Sample), but I'd love it if the built-in Sampler (or a new dedicated Slicer instrument) could do the job instead, because what we have now is so close already.
Wish they do something like IL Slicex where each slice has separate pitch, filter settings.
Abe Simpler and Logic Q sampler are weak compared to Slicex.

KVRAF
6871 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue May 04, 2021 1:13 am

andypryce wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:40 am
Wish they do something like IL Slicex where each slice has separate pitch, filter settings.
Abe Simpler and Logic Q sampler are weak compared to Slicex.
This is exactly how I ended up buying FL Studio! Wish they did something like FL Piano Roll and FL step editor...wish they did something like Edison for audio editing, wish they did something like Slicex for slicing...hand on a minute! :dog:
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRist
141 posts since 26 Sep, 2007

Post Tue May 04, 2021 1:20 am

andypryce wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:40 am
Wish they do something like IL Slicex where each slice has separate pitch, filter settings.
Abe Simpler and Logic Q sampler are weak compared to Slicex.
If you use "Slice to drum machine" instead of "Slice to multisample", you get an individual Sampler per slice, which is arguably more powerful than what Slicex offers, apart from the built-in audio editor of course.

KVRAF
6871 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 am

It definitely isn't more powerful than Slicex (which can also do that and a heck of a lot more!) but it is very simple in Bitwig and may be all most people need. Here is a quick overview of a few things Slicex does (pretty advanced audio editing, integrated step sequencer, articulator with filters, LFO's and envelopes per layer etc, automatic or manual individual region pitch and time settings):

https://youtu.be/Dvc0pyf0gh8
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRist
141 posts since 26 Sep, 2007

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 am
It definitely isn't more powerful than Slicex (which can also do that and a heck of a lot more!) but it is very simple in Bitwig and may be all most people need. Here is a quick overview of a few things Slicex does (advanced audio editing, step sequencer, articulator etc):
Oh I know Slicex very well, I alpha-tested it and wrote its "Play to end" script. As usual, in Bitwig the modulation, layering, and playback functionality would have to be added on using modulator slots, note effects or layers.

In any case, "lack of power" isn't the issue with slicing in Bitwig IMO, it's ease of use and workflow (where you have to basically commit to slices in advance, and can't easily experiment with slice positions).

EDIT:
integrated step sequencer
Slicex doesn't have a step sequencer,the steps just represent the "pads" (i.e. keys) that slices are mapped to.
Last edited by Dionysos on Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
3171 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 am

at least has per-zone modulation
https://youtu.be/UCXoxcX69PQ?t=257
4:16​ Per Zone Modulations
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

KVRAF
6871 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:31 am

Dionysos wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 am
It definitely isn't more powerful than Slicex (which can also do that and a heck of a lot more!) but it is very simple in Bitwig and may be all most people need. Here is a quick overview of a few things Slicex does (advanced audio editing, step sequencer, articulator etc):
Oh I know Slicex very well, I alpha-tested it and wrote its "Play to end" script. As usual, in Bitwig the modulation, layering, and playback functionality would have to be added on using modulator slots, note effects or layers.

In any case, "lack of power" isn't the issue with slicing in Bitwig IMO, it's ease of use and workflow (where you have to basically commit to slices in advance, and can't easily experiment with slice positions).
:tu: You know more about it than I do no doubt, I am pretty new to FL Studio- lured in by people constantly posting 'can we have XX feature like in FL Studio!

Yes, its always the argument with simplicity/speed vs. depth - Slicex has a lot of depth (as you obviously know!) and could be way too much for someone who just wanted to slice a loop to pads and play in a new beat...Slicex is more like a loop slicer/manger/effects and audio editor in one- different way of working than using Bitwigs modulators and fx slots and easier to chop and visualise the full loop in Slicex I think, I have found it very inspirational and fast with vocal loop processing.

PS- quite right on the step sequencer- I have been using it with the FL racks step sequencer, parts of FL not Slicex...I bought the all plugin edition so I am bouncing around!
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRist
141 posts since 26 Sep, 2007

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:31 am
easier to chop and visualise the full loop in Slicex I think
Yes, that really hits the nail on the head. As soon as you've sliced an audio file in Bitwig and sent it to the drum machine or multisampler, the whole loop gets kind of buried in the depths of the drum machine/sampler UI and it's not as easy to make broad-stroke changes.

Luckily these other plugins exist, so there are always options for those who need a different approach. :)

KVRer
29 posts since 19 Feb, 2017

Post Tue May 04, 2021 2:57 am

I found that clicking the little midi icon on the top of the file list in the bitwig multisampler helps, because it then focusses each played sound so you can see where it plays in the file. This makes it look like slices from a single file (I chose "slice raw")

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8191 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue May 04, 2021 4:27 am

ChrisDW wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:05 pm
Bitwig 4 will be announced Tues May 4th, with a beta release to follow in the coming days :love:
Full release expected mid June 2021 :clap:
So, where is it? :smack:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
68 posts since 26 Apr, 2018

Post Tue May 04, 2021 4:39 am

@Antic604 They didn't say it would be 2021 though! :p

KVRAF
6871 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:27 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:27 am
ChrisDW wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:05 pm
Bitwig 4 will be announced Tues May 4th, with a beta release to follow in the coming days :love:
Full release expected mid June 2021 :clap:
So, where is it? :smack:
No one releases software on Star Wars day :hihi:
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRist
77 posts since 1 Mar, 2010

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:28 am

Releasing Bitwig 4 on the 4th would have been pretty cool too.

KVRAF
6871 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 am

Releasing Bitwig 4 on the 4th with a Star Wars theme would break the internet.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

User avatar
KVRian
935 posts since 10 Sep, 2014

Post Tue May 04, 2021 5:37 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 am
Releasing Bitwig 4 on the 4th with a Star Wars theme would break the internet.
It will be released in 25 minutes. 4 o'clock pm in germany...

Return to “Bitwig”