what is your favorite controller surface (compact with good knobs)

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRist
209 posts since 30 Aug, 2011 from Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am

I'm using the Faderport V2 and can vouch for the general build quality. The motorized fader feels nice and responsive, although it clicks a bit when adjusting itself/changing tracks. It's quickly become second nature for me to reach straight for the Faderport for transport and track controls and navigation, so it does reduce quite a bit of mousing around and is good for my wrist.

Though I initially had some frustrations getting it set-up, it works really well with Moss' MCU scripts, so I imagine the Faderport 16 would be similar but even more comprehensive and immediate.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

KVRAF
18486 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:29 pm

Teezdalien wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am
Though I initially had some frustrations getting it set-up, it works really well with Moss' MCU scripts, so I imagine the Faderport 16 would be similar but even more comprehensive and immediate.
Bitwig ships with a Faderport script for the 8 and 16

I hesitate to buy controllers cause I usually find myself going back to mouse/screen cause there are usually too many unintuitive things that require me to remember stuff without clear visual feedback. Lots of multi-purpose knobs and buttons.

My favorite controller for Logic is Logic Remote on my iPad Pro. Within a few minutes of using it, I knew how to do everything. I always know what I am doing cause it is visually represented right there on screen. It doesn't take my attention away from doing stuff.

I have never managed to develop muscle memory with any controller so I could use it without thinking about it or without constantly looking at the screen. If there were the equivalent of Logic Remote for Bitwig on an iPad, I doubt I would consider buying a controller.

I'm considering trying the Faderport 16 for Bitwig and limit the use to some specific tasks. It looks like something I could get fluid with in that context. I like the long faders for automation writing, and setting track and send levels. I like the 16 tracks cause most of my projects aren't more than that so it means no or minimal page scrolling.

I wonder how noisy all the faders are if they are automating?

KVRAF
5709 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Try looking for a non-presonus video on youtube, I found one for the Platform M specifically about the fader noise.

I'm the same with controllers, they never clicked for me really.
The Platform M uses a script where I can switch between it controlling the mixer stuff and each selected devices controller pages. While it's not muscle memory for me either (I develop that very rarely for anything) I like it when working with certain plugins to quickly see and adjust macros when switching between presets and modifying them. But I mostly use one main set of parameters, otherwise I find the mouse faster as well.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

KVRist

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:16 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:29 pm
Bitwig ships with a Faderport script for the 8 and 16

I hesitate to buy controllers cause I usually find myself going back to mouse/screen cause there are usually too many unintuitive things that require me to remember stuff without clear visual feedback. Lots of multi-purpose knobs and buttons.

My favorite controller for Logic is Logic Remote on my iPad Pro. Within a few minutes of using it, I knew how to do everything. I always know what I am doing cause it is visually represented right there on screen. It doesn't take my attention away from doing stuff.

I have never managed to develop muscle memory with any controller so I could use it without thinking about it or without constantly looking at the screen. If there were the equivalent of Logic Remote for Bitwig on an iPad, I doubt I would consider buying a controller.

I'm considering trying the Faderport 16 for Bitwig and limit the use to some specific tasks. It looks like something I could get fluid with in that context. I like the long faders for automation writing, and setting track and send levels. I like the 16 tracks cause most of my projects aren't more than that so it means no or minimal page scrolling.

I wonder how noisy all the faders are if they are automating?
I've typically had the same experience with MIDI controllers too. I'd easily forget mappings across devices and plug-ins and end up having a faster workflow with the mouse a lot of the time. I'm starting to find my wrist getting sore from mouse usage after extended periods of use, so I'm looking at ways to alleviate this.

The Faderport has really been the first case for me where I'm really not left trying to remember what controls what? The controls and buttons are all pretty much dedicated to one thing and I really don't use or need the shift functions. I get the impression the 8/16 models would be a similar experience and would go further and require even less scrolling around through tracks like you describe.

I'm also considering one of the Nektar keyboards for instrument/device use, but I also get the feeling these would make the Faderport redundant.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

KVRian
820 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:50 pm

guitarfrenzi wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:56 am
https://intech.studio/
Nice! I see Linux support. I'll have to look closer at these.
Thanks for the share.

KVRer
18 posts since 18 Feb, 2006 from Chicago

Post Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 pm

I have a Nektar LX88+ that works great but it's 9 feet long. It's also really cheap for an 88 key controller.

The Akai APC40 with the code written by MOSS (http://www.mossgrabers.de/) is good, so's the MKII.
track control, launching, mixing and plugin control, basically all the Ableton-like stuff+more. The MKII is a bit more compact.

For transport and basic mixing:
Korg nanocontrol2 is a good 8 strip + transport control. Akai Midimix is small and has 8 tracks with a fader and 3 knobs per track.

Not working as I would like to: Arturia Essential 61. Arturia machine use MCU for transport control, but midi for everything else. I don't like it enough to spend time scripting it. It still works fine as a midi keyboard, but transport, plugin control, mixing etc isn't working.
OS X|Logic Pro 6.4.1

KVRist
454 posts since 5 Feb, 2004

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:54 am

icaria36 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:58 pm
Just wondering, has anyone tried the SL Mixface with Bitwig?
I would also be interested in this :tu:

KVRAF
7964 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Well, this one looks really nice, but it doesn't seem to support Bitwig. It's not even mentioned in unsupported DAWs :(

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/product ... b=overview

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:59 pm

Shout out to Moss for the Push 2 script. That's the main reason I was able to even think about going the way of Bitwig.

Why would anyone not on Mac want physical faders? It's probably a personal choice but years ago I owned a Mackie Control, it's cool and all but the shear space it took up made using it cumbersome, you either sacrifice composing for ergonomic mixing or visa versa?

Bitwig spent a ton of time developing a great touch interface, Shift gets you fine increments, Windows and Linux users have it great. I bought a Slate Raven for other DAWs, and I'm on OS X, but even with Bitwig not being supported it still works great with Bitwig for most things. Between a touch screen and Push 2, I see no reason for motorized faders anymore.

IMO Push 1 with the Moss script is another great option.

cnt
KVRist
492 posts since 9 Mar, 2001

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Softube Console 1 has great knobs and also with visual feedback..

KVRian
565 posts since 17 Jan, 2005 from London

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:25 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Well, this one looks really nice, but it doesn't seem to support Bitwig. It's not even mentioned in unsupported DAWs :(
I wonder if Moss' Generic Flexi script would work with it. It's incredibly powerful, and, as the name would suggest, totally flexible. I've just used it to provide support for the Akai Midimix and it works perfectly 😀

KVRian
515 posts since 19 Oct, 2020

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:32 am

carlca wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:25 am
antic604 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm
I wonder if Moss' Generic Flexi script would work with it.
Doesn't do MCU protocol. You need the Mackie MCU one.

KVRist
152 posts since 28 Oct, 2010 from Mexico

Post Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:11 pm

I sold my KK M32 and after extensive research I ended up getting a Korg Nanokontrol 2.

First, I considered a number of 49 keys midi controllers (Novation, Nektar, Akai, etc) but in truth these are all too big to be used comfortably in front of a computer. I have a Nektar Impact 49 which is not too tall / deep so it sits over my legs below the desk using a Z type of keyboard stand. The keys are crap, but it does the job.

So then I considered the Nektar Panorama P1. The integration with Bitwig seems great, but it's quite big. Also I couldn't ignore the fact that I'd be paying for a lot of stuff I would never use. Also, it's fugly.

So then I considered InTech controllers. I'd be glad to buy one or two of those. Unfortunately I live in Mexico and these are not available from Amazon US or locally. This means I'd have to pay about 40% of import taxes which would make these controllers way too expensive.

So finally, the Nanokontrol. The knobs/faders feel cheap and it's quite plasticky, but I can buy it locally for a low price. Most importantly, it's small enough that it can be used anywhere. Not only on my desk but also on top of my Yamaha piano away from the computer.

Instead of using the provided script I'm just using it with the generic script. I've mapped the knobs to 20-28 CC for the remotes, and using the faders for controlling CCs for Kontakt orchestral instruments (modulation, expression, vibrato, etc).

Would be great if Nektar released a smaller version of the P1, but until then, Nanokontrol it is.

KVRAF
2066 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Has anyone setup the PreSonus ATOM SQ with Bitwig?

KVRist

Post Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 pm

Can anyone with experience using the Nektar keyboards tell me if the keybed is the same across both the P-series and the T-series?
I'm interested in the P6, but briefly played with a T6 in-store (didn't have any P-series in stock) and didn't like the feeling of the keybed at all...

Return to “Bitwig”