what is your favorite controller surface (compact with good knobs)

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRian
515 posts since 19 Oct, 2020

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 am

Teezdalien wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:02 pm
Can anyone with experience using the Nektar keyboards tell me if the keybed is the same across both the P-series and the T-series?
No, P are weighted and have aftertouch, T is synth action IIRC.

KVRist
209 posts since 30 Aug, 2011 from Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 am

ReleaseCandidate wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 am
No, P are weighted and have aftertouch, T is synth action IIRC.
Cool, thanks. :tu:
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

KVRist
156 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:13 pm

I had a P4 and it most certainly did not have weighted keys. They are synth style keys, and they were pretty terrible at that.

KVRer
21 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from UK

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 am

Has anybody got Bitwig experience with Icon Qcon Pro X to share?

FaderPort8 looks nice but really want metering on the control surface ideally.

https://iconproaudio.com/product/qcon-pro-x/
--
NoiseTracker (Amiga 500) > Octamed (Amiga 1200) > MidiTracker (Amiga 1200) > Acid Pro (Win) > Logic Audio (Win) > Cubase (Win) > Logic (OS X) > Ableton (OS X) > Bitwig (Win)

KVRist
287 posts since 18 Oct, 2015 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:24 pm

I use the Kore 2 controller from NI with Moos Flexi Script. Metal surface, 8 endless encoders with led feedback, 8 buttons, transport control etc. Really nice. Brought it used for 50€ on eBay.
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Dynaudio BM5A MKII / Elektron AR MKII / Elektron AF MKII

KVRAF
3150 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:31 pm

FaderPort
pdxindy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:29 pm
I wonder how noisy all the faders are if they are automating?
annoyingly :D I'm leaving on plugin mode generally, but the colors are nice on it (follows the colors of the tracks), the remote control works nicely can be switch between the pages etc.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

KVRer
25 posts since 29 May, 2019

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Nektar P series have pretty awful keys in my opinion. The black keys have a very different response from the white keys, both mechanically and in the information they send. If they updated them with a better keybed and a larger screen, they would be the best controllers available.

KVRAF
5709 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:34 am

Yeah, I tried their P1 flagship once on Musikmesse some years ago and found the keys horribly cheap and clacky feeling.
Instant "forget it" (I'm pretty demanding there, 95% of keyboards are not my liking).
I don't know if they improved any of it in the meantime.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

KVRist
209 posts since 30 Aug, 2011 from Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 am

Hmm... so it seems my suspicions of the keys on the Nektar P series being the same or quite similar to the T series are confirmed. It's a real shame as the specs and general DAW intergration seem to be pretty close to perfect but, well the keys are a crucial aspect when it comes to playability, at least for me so I figure I'll pass on the idea now and save my bucks for the Polybrute which I'm keen on. Thanks to those who chimed in on this. :tu:
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

KVRer
21 posts since 16 Jan, 2020

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:01 pm

monophonK wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:54 am
icaria36 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:58 pm
Just wondering, has anyone tried the SL Mixface with Bitwig?
I would also be interested in this :tu:
I ended up buying the SL Mixface and I am very happy with it, even if I am still waiting for the Bitwig support. Let me explain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcusers/comme ... ld_an_mpc/

I got the Nektar Panorama P1 and the Bitwig support was very integrated, as advertised. However... the device is quite big and, dunno, I wasn't feeling it. I sent it back.

I wrote to Studiologic support with questions about how the Mixface would work with Bitwig. In short, they told me that in device mode I could set up everything with MIDI learn, and that Bitwig support was coming in the next software release. I thought, good enough, and I bought the Mixface.

I am still waiting for the next release (they didn't say when would this release be published) but I am enjoying this controller a lot. Obviously, it fits very well with the SL keyboard. It feels good quality and it does its basic work. MIDI learn means that every time I start something new I need to do a bit of work but so far it's working.

I do hope they do release this new software version with Bitwig support!

KVRer

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Meanwhile... Moss' MCU support makes the SL Mixface 90% functional in DAW mode for Bitwig. Unless someone is looking for very deep integration, I highly recommend it. More details about Bitwig support for this neat controller here:

viewtopic.php?f=268&t=562654

KVRian
1297 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Inverness, Scotland

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:42 am

fat_controller (Small).jpg
lol. Behold, the Fat Controller.

ONLY supports Bitwig. Does not support MIDI at all. Knobs are about 15 bit resolution (no 7bit midi pish round here!), buttery smooth. Under active development (obviously), the knobs will be getting their own RGB OLED 128x64 screens. There's also 16 encoders out of shot. Also an MPE/Clip launcher touchscreen app will be a part of it.

It's just for me so I can get away with Forth Rail Bridge levels of Victorian Over-Engineering. (Still considering giving each knob it's own MCU)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

KVRer

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:13 pm

To close the SL Mixface loop...

Turns out there is a fully functional script for this controller: https://github.com/quimgil/bitwig-exten ... tudiologic

The backstory: viewtopic.php?f=268&t=562654

Return to “Bitwig”