What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:13 am
MegaPixel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 amBit better / more interactive than the screen shots, who knows maybe the wigbit guys might find it interesting.

https://aftc.io/share/WigBitDemo/
To be perfectly honest I appreciate the amount of work you've put into it, but I disagree with most of the requests (e.g. we need less scroll bars, not more / more visible) or at least they point towards you simply not being familiar with Bitwig yet .....

But, obviously, all the above is IMO and you're fully entitled to share the ideas with users & devs for their consideration :clap:
I had insomnia, my late night netflix rewatch of voyager wasn't knocking me out, so I cooked that up lol

I only added a scroll bar to the piano roll on the right and some cursors to signify more meaning, as for a production bitwig styled usable result, I haven't got that much time on my insomniaic hands :p

It would be up to bitwig guys n gals to make it their look and feel, I do use the bars just for dragging, I've always zoomed with keys.

As for my FLStudio, ever since I got into bitwig, I haven't touched it unless I need some feature from it, but that's rare. BitWig has pretty much buried FL for me. FL mentioned that they wont be supporting the VSTs for much longer so, I've decided to stop using them also, not like they weren't buggy as hell in any other daws anyway (I did like Harmor).
Last edited by MegaPixel on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

lokanchung wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 am
MegaPixel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 am Bit better / more interactive than the screen shots, who knows maybe the wigbit guys might find it interesting.

https://aftc.io/share/WigBitDemo/
Nice job. But here's some points I don't like.
- We need neater cursor. Yes but your design needs some rework to fit in.....
Just something I cooked up while having insomnia, bitwig would have to make it their own look and feel etc, I'm no designer and didn't spend that much time on it, just some copy and pasting from an old daw and very very quick photoshop adjustments and cut outs.

I used to use FL but then I got into bitwig, no chance of going back to FL now... Just some little enhancements I thought would be nice to be added in their bitwig style/way.

MegaPixel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:39 am Just something I cooked up while having insomnia, bitwig would have to make it their own look and feel etc, I'm no designer and didn't spend that much time on it, just some copy and pasting from an old daw and very very quick photoshop adjustments and cut outs.

I used to use FL but then I got into bitwig, no chance of going back to FL now... Just some little enhancements I thought would be nice to be added in their bitwig style/way.
Yep, I also came from FL. (via Live).
Once they get those details right, I pretty sure Bitwig woud make Live completely obsolete and absorb good share of market. It's just too powerful by design.

lokanchung wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am
MegaPixel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:39 am I used to use FL but then I got into bitwig, no chance of going back to FL now... Just some little enhancements I thought would be nice to be added in their bitwig style/way.
Yep, I also came from FL. (via Live).
Once they get those details right, I pretty sure Bitwig woud make Live completely obsolete and absorb good share of market. It's just too powerful by design.
I really wish I knew what I know now before I purchased FLStudio... For the same price I would have just bought a certain collection of VSTs and BitWig... Expensive learning curve.

I tried Ableton Lite and it's work flow just didn't agree with me, maybe for those live performances? but that's not for me, it's just full of more things I didn't like than liked. I didn't find it's GUI/UI that friendly either.

I then tried cubase lite or something, cringe...

So I ended up purchasing FLStudio and most its extras, spent a year doing my thing in FL but then BitWig caught my eye and soo many things about FL were just doing my nut in. Gave BitWig demo or lite or some version of it a go and was hooked. Purchased a sub and then started migrating all my stuff from FL to BitWig and learning. I use FL sometimes to do stuff with the piano roll and export as midi but thats about it. Harmor, Sytrus and some of the piano roll features are the only things I miss. Other than that I never run it anymore. I then bought Harmor and Sytrus VSTs so I can use them in bitwig without the FLVSTI and now I hear they are retiring support for them, but the VST versions were buggy as hell anyway, so I try not to use them anymore.

So many hidden (ish) features, that so many people don't know about, I bet I only know about 5% of it all if I'm lucky... And as the software changes over the years, things and features move and get lost again...

Wouldn't be too hard to skin this and re-shape it into something that could fit quite well into a settings main menu page on bitwig. Would probably show me and a lot of others so many more things that bitwig can do/be configured in. And when things change those options would still be in there unless removed from bitwig.

MegaPixel wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:46 pm So many hidden (ish) features, that so many people don't know about, I bet I only know about 5% of it all if I'm lucky... And as the software changes over the years, things and features move and get lost again...

Wouldn't be too hard to skin this and re-shape it into something that could fit quite well into a settings main menu page on bitwig. Would probably show me and a lot of others so many more things that bitwig can do/be configured in. And when things change those options would still be in there unless removed from bitwig.

Most things you can do it Bitwig can have keyboard shortcuts and they're searchable. Also, settings is like 4-5 small pages. It's not like Reaper or Cubase that do require search function.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:56 pm Most things you can do it Bitwig can have keyboard shortcuts and they're searchable. Also, settings is like 4-5 small pages. It's not like Reaper or Cubase that do require search function.
For me personally (and I'm sure some others too) would find it very useful. I use such features all the time in PHPStorm, WebStorm, VSCode, UltraEdit/UES, Eclipse etc...

Some features shouldn't be assignable to a key...

Eg I didn't know you could right click on the timeline and show real time rules till yesterday... This can also be set as a shortcut, but why?

1). I can't see why a 1 time click per a project open should be key assignable, its nice that it does, but?
2). It's one hell of a waste of a keyboard shortcut if you do assign that to a key. it's not like your going to be turning it off and on all the time.
3). Why this feature is not a global setting, which stays on or off and not reset with each new project.

It would bring so many things into the light... And show them for all their glory, issues and all.

There's a lot of right click context menus with options and features which many of us don't even know about... And there's probably features which only exist as a shortcut / key assignable... Maybe even a quick search or something could help. CTRL + SHIFT + P in VSCode brings up a search bar, type in what your looking for and it gives you a list of anything related... Would be very handy imo.

^^^ ctrl+enter and 'real', so no needs to be added shortcut to everything
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Well god damn... Nice... But it doesn't have everything in there though... So all they have to do is add everything bitwig has an option for to it.

"doesn't have everything in there though" at least it's context-sensitive so displays different entries from the piano roll or from the arranger
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

MegaPixel wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:16 pm1). I can't see why a 1 time click per a project open should be key assignable, its nice that it does, but?
2). It's one hell of a waste of a keyboard shortcut if you do assign that to a key. it's not like your going to be turning it off and on all the time.
3). Why this feature is not a global setting, which stays on or off and not reset with each new project.
I work on a laptop, which means my hands are 90% of the time on keyboard + trackpad (the other 10% is Launchpad X), so screen real-estate is precious for me therefore I'd use a keyboard shortcut to quickly enable the time ruler, check what I need and then hide it. If I'd want it permanent, I'd save it with my start template and/or projects I'm working on. It shouldn't be global, because I might need it in one project, but not the other.

Also, Bitwig is smart enough that you can unbind the shortcuts you don't need and put something else in their place, so I don't get the "waste of a keyboard shortcut" argument. Or are you saying you're the authority on what should and shouldn't be mappable?? :dog:

Lastly, there's User Manual that you can Ctrl+Fto find whatever you need. Or you can - you know - actually read it, too.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:30 pm I work on a laptop, which means my hands are 90% of the time on keyboard + trackpad (the other 10% is Launchpad X), so screen real-estate is precious for me therefore I'd use a keyboard shortcut to quickly enable the time ruler, check what I need and then hide it. If I'd want it permanent, I'd save it with my start template and/or projects I'm working on. It shouldn't be global, because I might need it in one project, but not the other.

Also, Bitwig is smart enough that you can unbind the shortcuts you don't need and put something else in their place, so I don't get the "waste of a keyboard shortcut" argument. Or are you saying you're the authority on what should and shouldn't be mappable?? :dog:

Lastly, there's User Manual that you can Ctrl+Fto find whatever you need. Or you can - you know - actually read it, too.
Leave it mappable, bit if it were in ctrl + enter as an option then you wouldn't need to map it to a key... :ud:

Personally I can't see why you would ever want it off? :borg:

Buts that's exactly what it is, my opinion, chill winstan...

Everybody should have one or more and it doesn't matter if they are not the same as anyone or everyone else's. :tu:

So there are a ton of things about my other DAW Digital Performer that aren't as good as Bitwig, just getting that out of the way.

One thing that's much much better in DP is grouping, assignment, and search functions. Both of them have great shortcut search functions, but DP takes this in a different direction on Tracks, so if I've loaded dozens of tracks and am looking for Bass tracks, DP's search function allows for a search that selects only the bass sounds to be visible, this is just the surface. Track Assignments in DP allows for the reassigning of MIDI and Audio in and outputs, with choices for consecutive assignments. So instead of like in Bitwig, having to assign in/outs for audio and midi for multi out instruments one by one, in DP you create or select multiple tracks, then assign for instance MIDI outputs to Kontakt in consecutive MIDI channels. Same with renaming the tracks, in DP once you have a track selected to rename, before hitting return to finalize the track name if you hit the down arrow on your keyboard it selects to name the track below it.

I would love to see Bitwig gain some time saving strength in this sort of fast selection and assignment of tracks. Especially considering Bitwig is geared towards drag and drop favorites over big templates.

8X5 clips block on bitwig screen does not follow those on APC 40 MKII, this messed up my last facebook live performance. :x

The color theme while I work & recording outside!

Return to “Bitwig”