What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
User avatar
KVRAF
8191 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:59 am
Just tried it again, same track, new sound sample, and it's fine... No clue as to why... But yesterday, let's say I dragged an audio sample with the words "one test" on a track layer, click raw, expanded the block to reveal all the sample, and "one test" would become "one tes"... Now its fine lol... Why, no idea...
Perhaps previously Bitwig looped the sample according to its initial assesment of its "correct" length and you had to adjust that? Or are you saying that the trailing 't' really was cut out?

In general, if that's something you do often you should change Settings for long samples to be loaded as 'raw'.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
63 posts since 1 Oct, 2020

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:34 am

what drives me crazy, i think NOTHING : probably coz im surely experiencing 2.. 3% of the DAW.

i have habitudes from daw2daw changes... and Bitwig is very very so easy accessible, on the other side the possibilities have always been infinite... an ableton under steroids...

maybe it lacks some RAW stuffs like computed/rendering samples operations, like the FL Studio awesome plugin/editor "Edison", blurring stabs/stuffs.. with it is really good ! FL studio (image-line do nice stuffs !) the Vocodex is another example... (& their life-license/free updates is perfect)... (Fruity loops is a good DAW like Reaper too...)

Steinberg and Cubase ? u know it... its #1 used DAW... (i like their track tempo detection... every beats/every tempo envelope.. great for remixing from a long sample.

-

if i miss something in Bitwig, thats so stupid... but its UI skins only. im never inspirated by grey, i need seasons... colors.... something to please my eyes. it' attracts me more, to stay on a screen.

(Bitwig will forever goes in the details, new feats etc...) but BS4 needs (i mean) some Fresh ReLooking ! sry but it's my perception..

not everybody likes it as it looks. Somes also love to customize their UI : change/adjust colors day/evening/night/dawn... or move Explorer, inspector, piano roll frames...

lol im talking coz with quarantine we talk rarely here... :s

KVRist
63 posts since 1 Oct, 2020

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:37 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 am
MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:59 am
Just tried it again, same track, new sound sample, and it's fine... No clue as to why... But yesterday, let's say I dragged an audio sample with the words "one test" on a track layer, click raw, expanded the block to reveal all the sample, and "one test" would become "one tes"... Now its fine lol... Why, no idea...
Perhaps previously Bitwig looped the sample according to its initial assesment of its "correct" length and you had to adjust that? Or are you saying that the trailing 't' really was cut out?

In general, if that's something you do often you should change Settings for long samples to be loaded as 'raw'.
i already worked on a long sample/ a track, to remix... i had no issue with timing/sync but now i have.. dunno how i processed in the past.

edit: there an issue with samples' tempo detection, but i dont have last version : after the documentation Bitwig studio tries to determine samples/loop tempo (not short one-shot samples, should be RAW..)

elements of detection are :

(i think)

- beat detection (buggy on long samples/loops)
- BPM in the sample file name (like "120_chords.wav", ...)

edit: like if u buy a song on Juno or Beatport, Bitwig Studio does not read the id3 metadatas (#BPM #keyNote etc...) of your audio-file... not yet !

Pionner decks detects almost good the BPM at like 120,X BPM... not,XX....

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 am
Perhaps previously Bitwig looped the sample according to its initial assesment of its "correct" length and you had to adjust that? Or are you saying that the trailing 't' really was cut out?

In general, if that's something you do often you should change Settings for long samples to be loaded as 'raw'.
The visual of the sample showed the whole thing but the trailing t was really cut... My process flow was:
1. locate sample in right side browser.
2. drag it on sample layer where I have distortion and other fx modules on
3. Left click sample to ensure its active
4. Left hand panel change "stretch" to "raw"
5. Zoom close up on main timeline so that I can stretch the sample out to its full length with some accuracy and do that
6. Play back
7. WTF why is that cutting that off?!

Today, same process flow... and it works lol...

UDPATE:
- My version is 3.1.3
- The samples were all 1 shots (3 of them) and all didn't get imported as raw but as stretch.
Last edited by MegaPixel on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRAF
8191 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 am
antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 am
Perhaps previously Bitwig looped the sample according to its initial assesment of its "correct" length and you had to adjust that? Or are you saying that the trailing 't' really was cut out?

In general, if that's something you do often you should change Settings for long samples to be loaded as 'raw'.
The visual of the sample showed the whole thing but the trailing t was really cut... My process flow was:
1. locate sample in right side browser.
2. drag it on sample layer where I have distortion and other fx modules on
3. Left click sample to ensure its active
4. Left hand panel change "stretch" to "raw"
5. Zoom close up on main timeline so that I can stretch the sample out to its full length with some accuracy and do that
6. Play back
7. WTF why is that cutting that off?!

Today, same process flow... and it works lol...
As I said, in your initial post you've mentioned looping ("reapeating itself") and apparently this didn't hapen today. That's why I suggested loop points were the problem - if I'm right, Bitwig is looping say 80% of the sample, so you can see the full sample in Detail Editor, but once you extend the clip in the Arranger you're only hearing the 80% repeating.

Just guessing here, though.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am
As I said, in your initial post you've mentioned looping ("reapeating itself") and apparently this didn't hapen today. That's why I suggested loop points were the problem - if I'm right, Bitwig is looping say 80% of the sample, so you can see the full sample in Detail Editor, but once you extend the clip in the Arranger you're only hearing the 80% repeating.

Just guessing here, though.
They were 3 samples, one shots, less than 2.5 or even 2 second in length. After I added 1 second of silence to them with Adobe Auditions they were fine.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 am
antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am
As I said, in your initial post you've mentioned looping ("reapeating itself") and apparently this didn't hapen today. That's why I suggested loop points were the problem - if I'm right, Bitwig is looping say 80% of the sample, so you can see the full sample in Detail Editor, but once you extend the clip in the Arranger you're only hearing the 80% repeating.

Just guessing here, though.
They were 3 samples, one shots, less than 2.5 or even 2 second in length. After I added 1 second of silence to them with Adobe Auditions they were fine.

I recorded 3 samples in Auditions, exported them tightly cut as wavs, then added the extra 1 second of silence to the end.

I get what you mean though, I will keep an eye on that in future, just encase. But yes, they all have loop on by default.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

KVRist
63 posts since 1 Oct, 2020

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:01 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am
MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 am
antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am
As I said, in your initial post you've mentioned looping ("reapeating itself") and apparently this didn't hapen today. That's why I suggested loop points were the problem - if I'm right, Bitwig is looping say 80% of the sample, so you can see the full sample in Detail Editor, but once you extend the clip in the Arranger you're only hearing the 80% repeating.

Just guessing here, though.
They were 3 samples, one shots, less than 2.5 or even 2 second in length. After I added 1 second of silence to them with Adobe Auditions they were fine.

I recorded 3 samples in Auditions, exported them tightly cut as wavs, then added the extra 1 second of silence to the end.

I get what you mean though, I will keep an eye on that in future, just encase. But yes, they all have loop on by default.
i got 2.0 bitwig & in explorer it not differencies one-shots/short/long samples, when preview (auto)

i think same option (on/off) for all.

User avatar
KVRAF
8191 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am
But yes, they all have loop on by default.
That's weird if they're really one-shots. I don't think I even had that (or noticed that). What is your default setting for stretch modes for different types of files? I think I've Stretch HD for all three. Maybe you have it set to Cyclic which is preferable for drums, hence it always loops the clip?

I'm out of ideas, to be frank :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:14 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 am
MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am
But yes, they all have loop on by default.
That's weird if they're really one-shots. I don't think I even had that (or noticed that). What is your default setting for stretch modes for different types of files? I think I've Stretch HD for all three. Maybe you have it set to Cyclic which is preferable for drums, hence it always loops the clip?

I'm out of ideas, to be frank :)
Here's a video... But at some point it removed loop setting itself, as to when I didn't notice...

https://youtu.be/XRnxdlI8zTc
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 am

\____/-------
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRAF
8191 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:14 am
Here's a video...
Thanks, but I see nothing weird in this video. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say you had to add silence? All you did is extended the clip to reveal the part of the audio that was "hidden" beyond Bitwig assumed loop length.

BTW, when I'm talking about default settings, I mean the actual settings tab in the dashboard. The "loop" button in the transport is completely irrelevant for this discussion :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:48 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 am
MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:14 am
Here's a video...
Thanks, but I see nothing weird in this video. And I'm not sure what you mean when you say you had to add silence? All you did is extended the clip to reveal the part of the audio that was "hidden" beyond Bitwig assumed loop length.

BTW, when I'm talking about default settings, I mean the actual settings tab in the dashboard. The "loop" button in the transport is completely irrelevant for this discussion :)
Ah, every other setting apart from folder locations are defaults, bar screen zoom in 125% and double screen option might have changed.

RE: I had to add silence
The sample originally (with my 1st post on this issue) - was that I had to add silence to the end of the sample, even though I went through this process in the video it cut the sound. But now it works fine... Just a lucky bug I got I guess. I will try, closing and re-opening bitwig next time, see if that helps. But if it ever does happen again, I know the work around, add silence to the end of the 1 shot sample.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRAF
8191 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:48 am
RE: I had to add silence
The sample originally (with my 1st post on this issue) - was that I had to add silence to the end of the sample, even though I went through this process in the video it cut the sound. But now it works fine... Just a lucky bug I got I guess. I will try, closing and re-opening bitwig next time, see if that helps. But if it ever does happen again, I know the work around, add silence to the end of the 1 shot sample.
Again, what you mean by "add silence"? Are you actually going to some external audio editor and add literal silence to the sample? Or you mean extending the clip at around 1:19 of your video? Because if it's the latter, then it's perfectly normal.

What's weird is that Bitwig loops that sample.

Can you screenshot Settings / Behavior tab?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am
Again, what you mean by "add silence"? Are you actually going to some external audio editor and add literal silence to the sample? Or you mean extending the clip at around 1:19 of your video? Because if it's the latter, then it's perfectly normal.

What's weird is that Bitwig loops that sample.

Can you screenshot Settings / Behavior tab?


RE: Adding silence
I had to physically modifying the file via a sample editor (Auditions) and add silence to the end, that's what my fix was yesterday. Today it's not needed. :?:

RE: Change to RAW and adjust
Yep, I expected that, I just didn't expect it to not play the whole sample, but today it works as expected. No idea... :?: :idea: :?:

RE: Settings
https://youtu.be/aOK3Z3TM-G0
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

Return to “Bitwig”