What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cmd-R on Mac

I absolutely hate the tiny non-resizable mixer faders without any dB markings on them.

I get crazy by "destructive" stuff, without my asking/my (personal EXTRA - "i want this permission without any asks" ) e.g. like shift+drag = bounce. I often try/error mod-keys/combinations.... to learn whats going on... but "detructive" things like spam my ND/project folder... should never be a "default-feature". Stuff like that, should only be aviaible as "default" if I do my special wish to act like so! And BTW, this double/"two-time- run"... the bounce as default is also not my "default-choice"... In 85% i just want a single-run as exakt i hear from start to end....
In general NEVER do a special "destructive" stuff , (maybe by a mod-key...) without my EXTRA permission . On the other hand (does make me crazy, but its anoying too for lazy persons): let me (more) define which stuff i want without a neg/are-you-sure/which setting DIalog re-ask.... Eg. for Bounce: "bounce in place" without any ask by miss-hacked -mod-key is (for me) i dont want in 95%. On the other hand: for the "real bounce" (to another track) i dont need any time this xtra-fader/bit/dither.... dialog-box... if ha setup it onetime! (if i want a specuial bounce evry 50 times i can re-setup again... and i can choose this setup as new default or as ask evry time.....) ) And btw this DIALOG is missing do you wish the bounce as "one run-oneshot" as "one-run-loop" or as 2-time-run-loop" and should it be RAW or streched (and if, how....) ONE TIME set up this dialog would save a lot time. But as said its just quiet "anoying", it dosnt make me crazy.

"Crazy" makes me "destructive stuff" / writing big files on HD, in "hidden" system-container", dont clear that 100% .... and small things, eg. that i cannot "option/default" this "song follow/follow playhead"... Every time i change the zoom (during plying), this "follow" get automatically lost and its really annoying: In 92% of case i DONT want this!

But i am 87% happy with BWS! This is maybe the best value (beside affinty photo) for such complex piece of SW... (for most other complex SW my "near ideal" is mybe by 70§ for OSX by 55% for windows by 45%....) there are just very special tools i give 95%... so, for such complex Apps this a sensationally result!
Last edited by kukident-youth on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It drives me crazy that in dual display master/detail mode there is always this useless gray area above the vst and vsti name labels in the mixer. It is the space the big mixer faders sit, but when you disable the (useless in that context, anyway, IMO) big faders the screen real estate stays, for no good reason, occupying precious space. You can drag it but then the vsti/vst name labels disappear replacing it with that big gray not usable space blocking at least 2 or 3 track lanes in the arrange and clip section...
I never tried it but it's not there when using only 1 screen, it seems.

Support says it is meant to be like that, but they don't give any reason why, when asked.
:dog:

Reefius wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:07 pm I absolutely hate the tiny non-resizable mixer faders without any dB markings on them.
Definitely agree with this. For mixing this is a massive pain. Hard to see the balance.

Always wondering how the midi signal paths flow and get filtered. And not being able to manually assign CC mapping by just typing them in.

Number one frustration for me: the fact that you can't click a parameter and then increment it with the arrow keys. Some parameters yes, but its not available across the board. Leads to an unnecessary amount of clicking and dragging for me, I really dislike dialing stuff in like that.

Close seconds are the lack of undo for vst, and the inability to hold down the keys when duplicating or undoing.

On a macro level, Bitwig's greatest strength can also be a weakness imo. I almost feel that in some places they tried to make things so open and so customizable that it actually ends up a detriment. For example, I much prefer the browser in Live (I've since moved back to Live now that 11 is out). I just don't think it helps my workflow to have everything subdivided by category. I've tried using shortcuts, navigating with text, defining what the browser calls up... honestly its just way faster to have little folders made in Live that are always available that can have anything in them, samples, presets whatever.

Another example is the phase system in the Grid. Everyone seems to think its really powerful, but I find more often than not it gets in my way. Changing the size of a sequence often means changing the amount of steps, but then also going and editing the phase rotation. It's an extra step. I just want to run sequencers by hitting them with gates, but then reduce steps if thats what I'm looking for. I can't do that in one move here, I need to adjust both the counter & the sequence length. Its an extra step, and here for me the steps add up to be more costly than the benefits I get from it. I actually found Voltage Modular to be much easier to navigate and get the results I was after (but at an absurdly high cpu cost...so Bitwig wins out there).

But these last two paragraphs are pure taste issues, these are not necessarily things I'd expect them to alter. Thats just the way the daw is, and the direction they've chosen. As long as the userbase knows what they are getting into, and wants that extreme level of customization, it's the right fit.

_leras wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 am
Reefius wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:07 pm I absolutely hate the tiny non-resizable mixer faders without any dB markings on them.
Definitely agree with this. For mixing this is a massive pain. Hard to see the balance.

Yeah this one is rough, they're exactly the size of Lives default, but Live can adjust the size a bit. This is where Reaper is the best, just massive if you want, and it does seem to affect the Shift for fine faders.

Randall P. McMurphy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:12 amI actually found Voltage Modular to be much easier to navigate and get the results I was after (but at an absurdly high cpu cost...so Bitwig wins out there).
I find that unimaginable... I can do the same patch in the Grid with far fewer wires than what is needed in Voltage Modular. The Grid is an order of magnitude faster, far easier on the eyes and every parameter can be modulated without needing mod inputs so the modules are much simpler and take up less space.

Randall P. McMurphy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:12 am honestly its just way faster to have little folders made in Live that are always available that can have anything in them, samples, presets whatever.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, have you tried "Collections"? I make heavy use of Collections, almost exclusively in fact, and they're just like you're seemingly describing, just folders that you name with whatever you want in them. I saved a default template so when I open the browsers the first thing I see is my collections. It's pretty much just like Live's, only on the right side, but you also have the pop up browser if needed.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:18 am Unless I'm misunderstanding, have you tried "Collections"? I make heavy use of Collections, almost exclusively in fact, and they're just like you're seemingly describing, just folders that you name with whatever you want in them. I saved a default template so when I open the browsers the first thing I see is my collections. It's pretty much just like Live's, only on the right side, but you also have the pop up browser if needed.
Maybee I missunderstand what you mean with your "default template", but isn't that the same as selecting "Remember selected filters when adding XXX" , which does not require you to save a template.

backtomusic wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:42 am
JHernandez wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:18 am Unless I'm misunderstanding, have you tried "Collections"? I make heavy use of Collections, almost exclusively in fact, and they're just like you're seemingly describing, just folders that you name with whatever you want in them. I saved a default template so when I open the browsers the first thing I see is my collections. It's pretty much just like Live's, only on the right side, but you also have the pop up browser if needed.
Maybee I missunderstand what you mean with your "default template", but isn't that the same as selecting "Remember selected filters when adding XXX" , which does not require you to save a template.
I'm talking about the right side browser, where it says Collection, Device, Category, which folders are collapsed or not, ect. It saves these with your project or template.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:32 am I'm talking about the right side browser, where it says Collection, Device, Category, which folders are collapsed or not, ect. It saves these with your project or template.
Thanks, always hated that packages is expanded when switching out to samples.. soo that is the solution! New template done and "use a template for new projects" is set :)

i hate the horizontal scrolling bar to scroll the channel, hard to see, you never know where you are, and it's hard to catch.

I have to add Velocity plugin for every instrument track I create.
I wish Bitwig had a global Velocity Curve editor in the controllers page like this:
cdtwpfn76yk61.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Reg1988 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bitwig”