(osx) finder preview and BWS preview

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well in osx-finder you can preview a mp3/wav.... by just mark the file and hit space... usefull for lot of things.... I BELIEVED this preview is as much as NEUTRAL as possible on the file...

In BWS i can also "preview" my referenz/samples/adds via its browser/finder... and if i set this "review" to default/0 dB.... it should be the same as the preview in the Finder... but it isnt...

I do not know a Finder-preview-setting, so i GUESS its playing Volume-Level is not regulated, its pure RAW "out of the box" - exactly i want!
In BWS-"preview" the same file/alias sounds much more quieter... dosnt matter the "master" is saying (it SEEMS and i hope the "BWS master" has NO influence of this preview...)... As said there is all "default" in BWS... all should be 100% Neutral.... why are this EXTREM difference between the preview in FINDER and the prewiev in BWS??????

And what does that mean for further actions?

kukident-youth wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:12 pm And what does that mean for further actions?
I think Bitwig plays the sample through currently selected track and by default - it's in Settings - they're set to -10dB to prevent master clipping. Try changing that, perhaps?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm I think Bitwig plays the sample through currently selected track and by default - it's in Settings - they're set to -10dB to prevent master clipping. Try changing that, perhaps?
Nope, it isnt! Have tried one track with -10db and another with +6: its the same. Also the master-level doesnt have any effect for this.

Antic is more or less right though, Mac OS plays back the file at a different level, usually much louder. This isn't an issue, and it's true of all DAWs not just Bitwig, but it's annoying in terms of monitors. I have a SPDIF out on my audio interface and on the Mac Pro here, and loop the Mac audio back into the interface to get a stereo fader on the interface so I can adjust thing like the Finders volume to match Bitwig DP Logic etc.

Again, it's not coloring your sound, it's just that the Mac audio level is LOUD compared to pro audio applications.

The best way to explain it is the Mac OS has zero gain staging, your DAW has more than one stage by default. So it "sounds" quieter at what looks like comparable DB levels. You would have to crank the volume almost all the way up on a track to slam your master faders 0DB level to anything like what the OS does.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:39 am The best way to explain it is the Mac OS has zero gain staging, your DAW has more than one stage by default. So it "sounds" quieter at what looks like comparable DB levels. You would have to crank the volume almost all the way up on a track to slam your master faders 0DB level to anything like what the OS does.
Thanks MSCHINEWorkinhg !!! Thats a lot of usefull Special knownledge! Really thanks for this!!!!

I have just "WAVED" my "reference-mp3" too soilid 16bit/44,1... WAV.... So i can frag-drop-"imprt" with the Normal Minus 6 dB... and as REFRENZ exact rigt.... Thats my "Luf/dynamic....) Master, the rest i USING this inormation....
BZW: Media Human Converter is a great FREE tool for stunts like Was/flac....in this. or this.... format..... Well, the POSSIBLY artefacts that a BACK cobertion from 256 Mp3 to av/Aiff SOME people mean to hear (to snake-oil....)
HOWEVER as WAV in my "reference tracks" in the same-solo-pegel.... that gives me a really good overview just for (real) and /feeled) LUFs....

Its not my ask/your ansewr... but really good/"loud" and TRANSPARENCY songs SEEMS to master/mixdown/endprocess... ALL the material in SEPARATE left/right/mid/side/center... and in small schznks, depending on the input... There is no verse/chorus / bridge.... L/R Ozone 9 - preset.... This is fine-Tuning except the "GLUEING-SUM-TOOLS"....

Return to “Bitwig”