Drum Machine - and Sharing Projects

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, maybe I've missed something here... but wondered if anyone can help?

Is there a way to keep a Drum Machine self made preset inside the project folder?

I'm sharing tracks with band mate. I create a drum machine kit and save it and it goes into my library. I copy the kit into the project folder (or a shared preset folder in drop box), but when they open the project the kit isn't loaded, but also doesn't really show e.g. the preset name it is saved as.

Any ideas on how to handle this more gracefully would be very welcome!

_leras wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:14 pm Sorry, maybe I've missed something here... but wondered if anyone can help?

Is there a way to keep a Drum Machine self made preset inside the project folder?

I'm sharing tracks with band mate. I create a drum machine kit and save it and it goes into my library. I copy the kit into the project folder (or a shared preset folder in drop box), but when they open the project the kit isn't loaded, but also doesn't really show e.g. the preset name it is saved as.

Any ideas on how to handle this more gracefully would be very welcome!
Why won't you just leave that drum kit on a track in the project and do collect & save before sharing the project with your friend? He should be able to open it intact.

EDIT: On 2nd thought this should just work. Are you sure you're using the same Bitwig version (or at least that yours is lower)?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks Antic - this could be exactly the option I am after (and didn't know existed)!

The drum kit is left on the track, but as I've saved it into my local library, it then wasn't hooked up when reopened elsewhere.

I'll give this a try asap. It will also make me a lot happier if it works - as I much prefer to be able to keep everything in a project folder if possible

_leras wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:20 pm Thanks Antic - this could be exactly the option I am after (and didn't know existed)!

The drum kit is left on the track, but as I've saved it into my local library, it then wasn't hooked up when reopened elsewhere.

I'll give this a try asap. It will also make me a lot happier if it works - as I much prefer to be able to keep everything in a project folder if possible
You mean Collect & Save? Yes, that's necessary if you're using samples that are not part of Bitwig's native sound library but instead are somewhere on your HDD/SDD. Without C&S Bitwig simply "links" to them, instead of saving a copy to project folder and using that.

Let us know, because I really think sharing a preset should work - there are several Drum Machine presets on bitwiggers.com that are couple of MB in size, so they have to include samples (can't test as I'm at work).
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:30 pm You mean Collect & Save? Yes, that's necessary if you're using samples that are not part of Bitwig's native sound library but instead are somewhere on your HDD/SDD. Without C&S Bitwig simply "links" to them, instead of saving a copy to project folder and using that.

Let us know, because I really think sharing a preset should work - there are several Drum Machine presets on bitwiggers.com that are couple of MB in size, so they have to include samples (can't test as I'm at work).
Thanks for this - I have high hopes that it'll work.

The kits are saving with the samples as I am choosing that option when saving, they just have not been getting correctly hooked up.

I'm hoping it also saves out any presets that are being used as well - then I'd be super happy.

For our last project we spent ages building a few kits at the start, and must have only had this issue at the beginning. For our new project I've been creating lots of new kits and caused this issue!

thanks again!

Wow I had the exact same question:

1. It looks like saving the DrumMachine kit with "Collect & Save" option ticked works well, as it creates a "monolith" (preset file and audio files embedded in one file).

2. Now to share the project you must also send your friend the monolith file on its own, for him to place it in his %User%\Documents\Bitwig\Library (or something similar).
This must be done with every DrumMachine or Sampler that has a Monolith preset.

3. And tell your friend to let Bitwig's Indexing discover this new preset before loading the project.

PS: Hopefully this won't be a tedious workaround anymore when 4.0 comes out, as most of us expect it to have this "Multiplayer" networking feature.

Zacchino wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 pm Wow I had the exact same question:

1. It looks like saving the DrumMachine kit with "Collect & Save" option ticked works well, as it creates a "monolith" (preset file and audio files embedded in one file).

2. Now to share the project you must also send your friend the monolith file on its own, for him to place it in his %User%\Documents\Bitwig\Library (or something similar).
This must be done with every DrumMachine or Sampler that has a Monolith preset.

3. And tell your friend to let Bitwig's Indexing discover this new preset before loading the project.

PS: Hopefully this won't be a tedious workaround anymore when 4.0 comes out, as most of us expect it to have this "Multiplayer" networking feature.
That's not necessary at all!

The options at hand are as follows:

1) If you want to share just the Drum Machine preset, then save it and make sure to tick the "Embed files" option at the bottom of the dialog box - it will include all the samples in .bwpreset file for further sharing

2) If you want to share project including Drum Machine then save the project, do Collect & Save and then .zip the project directory and share that; no need to save any presets, as the device state is preserved within the project, whereas Collect & Save makes sure samples are, too

3) A mixed option would be to create a MIDI clip using the Drum Machine & drag it to the side-browser, which will allow you to save the clip incl. devices on the track & samples contained within those devices (make sure to select both options at the bottom of the dialog box)

Hope that's helpful.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”