UI fine tuning ideas thread

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems like people who were waiting for "composer's update" got frustrated with new v4.0.
Good news is that devs are trying to take care of improving ui/ux, as they fine tuned some GUI elements in 4.0. It's beta period. Which means it's good time for suggestions.
Let's gather some UI fine tuning ideas (not new features)

1. Thicker Barlines
2. Shades outside clip region (at least for clip mode)

This is what you get with #1 and #2
Before
After

3. No auto detection of drum mode:
Have you guys got annoyed by auto switching to drum mode in piano roll? It's a feature but not working well because it relies on 3rd party vendors. Some plugin incorrectly implemens (e.g Serum, BBC Symphony Orchestra). Or don't implement (Addictive Drums)
As a plugin host, 3rd party dependent features should be avoided. I think it's better to have per plugin settings rather than auto detection.

4. Note resize handle fine tuning, improvements
  • With tiny notes, can't grap resize handle: At least 1 or 2 pixels margin?
  • WIth small notes, resize handles are a bit large: maybe 1~2 pixels less?
  • Replace stupidly large Logic-influenced cursor icon and replace it with double headed arrow (⬌)
    Edit: I found time range resize icon already got double headed arrow, but can we still make it smaller? Or without tiny triangles, I think it's too verbose.
  • Time range (white time selection) resize handle shouldn't be available around notes: I accidently resize time range when I want to resize a note. It happles a lot and it means bad ux design.

The panel selection grey outline is smaller now, this is bad, make it the same as before.

The way keyboard shortcuts work in Bitwig, the panel has to be selected for the shortcut to work. They should add a grey section outline around the Info Panel, as it is when you select it, nothing looks selected. This makes me a sad panda.

Just get rid of that bitwig logo panel on the top of the screen. It's just a waste of space.
Or make possibile to hide it by pressing F11

sensej81 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 am Just get rid of that bitwig logo panel on the top of the screen. It's just a waste of space.
Don't get rid of it... that is where one switches projects... optional is fine.

sensej81 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 am Just get rid of that bitwig logo panel on the top of the screen. It's just a waste of space.
I use that *ALL* the time. Quickest way to load recently worked on songs. Quickest way to settings.

_leras wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:58 pm I use that *ALL* the time. Quickest way to load recently worked on songs. Quickest way to settings.
Ctrl + [,] is quicker. And it's pretty much a standard among DAWs.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pdxindy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:33 pm
Yeah the logo button is good, but does it have to take so much space in there ? Just move it to the side and take the free space in better use.

Chameleonman wrote:
Yeah the logo button is good, but does it have to take so much space in there ? Just move it to the side and take the free space in better use.
Got any ideas for other uses? Auto hide seems good enough for me.

lokanchung wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:39 am
Chameleonman wrote:
Got any ideas for other uses?
:lol: sorry about my english

Chameleonman wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:33 pm :lol: sorry about my english
No worries. It's pretty good; certainly close enough to convey the intended meaning :)
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Chameleonman wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:30 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:33 pm
When you have a bunch of projects open, it takes that space too

Return to “Bitwig”