Quarantine Quartets

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
Reckon104
KVRist
118 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:51 am

Jeremy's recent solo piece where he did a solo "quartet" gave me the idea that maybe some folks in this community might be interested in doing some collaborations via email. The thought was quartets where one person would do a first track and then send it on, eventually to 3 others would would complete the piece. The final product could be a video (maybe with an audio-only mix as well for better fidelity) with four way split screen showing the ensemble "live."

This conversation was started on another thread where it seems we have 3 folks already interested (Jeremy, Fontaine and myself). Would anyone else be interested in jumping on this first one?

Maybe we can use this thread as a meeting place for interested parties?

Hopefully there are some other folks who would find this interesting. Please don't be shy! I think it would be great to get some collaborations between folks who take wildly divergent approaches with the LinnStrument, as well as folks who are just starting out as well as more experienced players. I bet as a community we could come up with some cool stuff together.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this idea out there and gauge whether there's much interest.

jcub
KVRist
62 posts since 10 Apr, 2015 from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

Re: Quarantine Quartets

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 am

One idea:

1. A quartet "leader" declares the instruments for the quartet (e.g., piano, bass, drums, sax or any other configuration). Each part should be played on LinnStrument.

2. Folks volunteer to play. If a slot is filled, a new quartet could be formed.

3. The group decides on a piece of music (original or cover (beware of any copyright issues)).

4. One player records videotapes their part, and sends their track to the next player etc. One group member is designated to mix and master with approval by all group members.

5. A group member (or another volunteer) puts together the video.

I am happy to start/contribute for any of the above except for 5 because my video editing skills (especially multiscreen videos) are not good at all.

Roger_Linn
KVRian
1485 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 am

Sounds like a good plan to me. I've just emailed Ghiekorg about combining the component videos into a 4-quadrant composite, which he has done in past with his videos.

ghiekorg
KVRist
122 posts since 12 Aug, 2017 from Switzerland

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 am

Hello everyone and thanks to Roger for thinking about me. That's really kind😊
I would love to join the project. My only problem is: I am working 100% still. From home, but still 100%, so I am not sure about how much time I would have (I am also preparing a new cover played with the linnstrument).
I can say: If you guys have ideas about songs I would be in for a cover or some impro stuff, I think I don't have time to sit and work on a whole song. But I would like to try still, in case. I can't read music so well, so I usually work in guitar pro to compose and transcribe. And about the video: I do it with my iPad or sometimes with reaper. In case I could do the video editing, if it's nothing too complicated or recorded 4 times in 4k 😁
Let me know what you think

jcub
KVRist

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks, Roger, Ghiekorg, and Steve. I will kick things off by proposing a Quartet with Synth (Cypher 2), Piano, Bass, and Drums. I will use one of the new Dimension patches from Cypher 2 and come up with a part. Anyone want to join in on piano, bass, or drums? If someone wants to use another instrument or sound, let me know. We can be creative and come up with something different.

Jeremy

mijiti
KVRer
17 posts since 16 Apr, 2017

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 pm

If you like, I could have a go at a bass part and/or have a stab at video merging. I'm in no way a great Linnstrumentalist though, so if you get other offers, I'd take them :)

FontaineBurnett
KVRer
11 posts since 17 Mar, 2020

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Count me in! Piano?

jcub
KVRist

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Sounds great guys! I will start working on the music! We just need a drummer.

Reckon104
KVRist
118 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:04 am

I will give the drums (or percussion) a shot...just don't make the tune too long!!!

Also, I think we could do ones where we don't assign instruments, just the order of recipients and let them decide what to add?

It might be fun to do ones which incorporate wildly different approaches to the Linnstrument (like more "noisy" stuff combined with more instrumental/virtuosic efforts).

Anyway, looking forward to this first effort! Thanks to everyone!

FontaineBurnett
KVRer
11 posts since 17 Mar, 2020

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am

Reckon104 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:04 am
I will give the drums (or percussion) a shot...just don't make the tune too long!!!

Also, I think we could do ones where we don't assign instruments, just the order of recipients and let them decide what to add?

It might be fun to do ones which incorporate wildly different approaches to the Linnstrument (like more "noisy" stuff combined with more instrumental/virtuosic efforts).

Anyway, looking forward to this first effort! Thanks to everyone!
Yes! I like that idea!

jcub
KVRist

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am

Steve - Great idea! I will avoid the 20 minute long prog rock epic this time...;-).

jcub
KVRist

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:32 am

To members of the first Quartet - I sent PMs. Please check your messages..

Return to “Roger Linn Design”