Linnstrument Touch Sensitivity

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
KVRer
2 posts since 8 Dec, 2020

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:42 am

Hi all, proud Linnstrument 128 owner and first-time poster. Loving using it and expect to use it for many years to come.

I've adjusted the velocity settings in Global Settings, but sometimes I'm still getting a few notes that are skipped as I'm touching too lightly to trigger them. Is there a way of adjusting this? Which way do the velocity adjustments work (Velocity Sens "High" is this where a light touch is most sensitive?). Sometimes I play with a harder touch but would like to know if a lighter version is possible via settings.

KVRAF
1852 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:05 am

Hi MakePerceive,

Thank you for owning a LinnStrument 128.

A Velocity Sensitivity setting of High means "high velocity sensitivity", which means that that the playing surface is more sensitive and therefore better suited to those with light touches. If you ever have confusion about any of the panel settings, the Panel Settings page (accessed from the LinnStrument Support page) is the best resource.

However, you may be comparing LinnStrument to touch recognition on an iPad or iPhone, which requires zero pressure but cannot recognize pressure or velocity. LinnStrument uses a different system that recognizes pressure and velocity, but requires a minimum force of around 50 grams, which is roughly the force of placing a stack of two AA batteries on the center of a note pad.

If you understand the LinnStrument is not an iPad and wish to dig deeper into LinnStrument's hidden settings, there is a setting called Touch Sensor Prescale, described on the Panel Setting page under the Global Settings tab. This allows you to boost the output of LinnStrument's touch sensor, effectively increasing sensitivity to light touches at the expense of light-to-heavy touch range and velocity accuracy. It is important to note that high values of this setting can cause problems like false triggering of notes, so please don't adjust this until you've read and understood the warnings on the Panel Settings page.

KVRer
2 posts since 8 Dec, 2020

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:55 am

Thanks Roger, I appreciate your feedback and support. I’ve been getting great results with the Linnstrument and MPE synths as well as regular midi, so my question is not a criticism; I’m just getting used to the instrument and finding my optimal settings

KVRAF
1852 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:38 am

No worries and no criticism taken. If you’re in the US, have a good Thanksgiving holiday today.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”