Idea for LinnStrument video series

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Guys, I was hoping for some feedback, ideas and just to get the temperature a bit. I've been kicking around the idea of doing a series of videos (free) on youtube that would essentially be about using the Linnstrument to learn how to improvise. So it would be mainly focused on less experienced musicians and complete beginners, but also (in my mind anyway) those musicians who were ruined by their childhood music lessons and have the (mistaken) belief that they "can't improvise."

So the idea would be to quite literally start from square one, as in "what is a note," and move up through simple chords/inversions, diatonic harmony, etc. all the way to more complicated jazz concepts, which I'll try to learn myself before presenting on them :) I would also talk about my approach to the physicality of playing, particularly with two hands, with exercises that I have found helpful.

I also would like to interview other players to get a window into all the amazing things folks are doing with this thing (and maybe Roger if he'd be willing).

Anyway, I hope this all doesn't sound presumptuous on my end. I am doing this in the spirit of community building and appreciation for what the Linnstrument has done for my musical journey. I certainly am not doing it to present myself as some expert or anything. To the contrary, as a self-taught musician, with limited natural ability, who has found music to be a great joy but also an intense struggle, I'd like to offer a friendly helping hand to others in the same boat who may be new to the Linnstrument and also, hopefully, create another platform where we can help each other.

Anyway, any thoughts at all highly welcome!

Great idea, Steve! Your improvisation skills would be very helpful to others, and I'd be happy to participate. If possible, an overhead tight shot of the playing surface would be great so people can most easily see what you're playing while you talk them through.

Thanks Roger! Yes, I certainly plan to show my hands, unlike what I did with my previous video which I really did on the down and dirty, timewise and every other way. This one I plan to be a little bit more professional!

Anyone content to teach people how to play properly, and anyone willing to take that to task and actually learn music in its entirety, is good in my books.

My only advice is to teach theory at the same time as teaching performance. It has been my observation, over the years, that people who learn the "how" and the "what", without learning the "why", develop many misconceptions, bad habits, and ultimately end up feeling daunted by music theory and overwhelmed at the idea of trying to unlearn what they have learned in order to step forward. That's a shame, in my opinion, and completely unnecessary.

Oh, and if you're going to teach pentatonic scales and concepts, teach the Major pentatonic scale first. I know everyone wants to learn that minor "Blues" scale, but it will let you down, folks, if you don't know how the Major scale works (within the framework of chords and chord progressions).

Good luck, Reckon. You've got my endorsement, for what it's worth.

Cheers!

Hi Steve!

I was just talking to Roger a few months back about doing the exact same thing! The Linnstrument world definitely needs it. I would love to collaborate with you on a this project if you think I could be useful 😊. Hit me up to let me know if I can get onboard somehow!

Fontaine

That is a great idea! Alas I can't contribute but i will gladly learn from those vids.

Steve:

Your previous tutorial videos demonstrate you are an excellent teacher and great player. I think a series is a great idea. I suggest including a video that explores how LinnStrument can help accomplish specific musical goals. While theory is important, how to apply it in the context of a specific goal can be more motivating. For example, a video that shows how you approach soloing over “Autumn Leaves” can provide a music theory foundation (chords, scales used over the chords etc.) and LinnStrument specific skills (selecting a sound, pitch bends, pressure and y-expression). Just a thought. Best of luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Jeremy
Jeremy Cubert
Piano | Chapman Stick | LinnStrument | Zendrum
http://jeremycubert.com

I am your quintessential target audience (recent purchaser of Linnstrument with a lot of interest, and just a beginner), so yes, please do this video series.

I believe the Linnstrument is going to continue to expand as MPE comes into focus for a lot of people. Looking at MPE options, there really isn't anything as useful or approachable as the Linnstrument. Unless the Seaboard comes back to life, right now there is the Sensel Morph (had been on their waitlist for months) and the Joui, but they seem a little bit like toys compared to the Linnstrument, or the Haken Continuum, which is REALLY expensive. So, yes, Linnstrument all the way, right in the sweet spot.

Please be mindful that some of us (me) have the 128, not the full 200 Linnstrument.

Theory can be handy as a foundation for improvisation. But it's just part of the toolkit.
However I will use a quote from Carlos Santana about improvisation.
"If you're thinking, your stinking".

To me it's more about doing rather than thinking about it.
Actually a lot of improvisation is about breaking the rules, not painting by numbers.
If that makes any sense.

If your videos help 1 person, then it's worthwhile I would say.
Good luck,
Dirk

I disagree with this. The greatest improv players on the planet have the deepest understanding of music theory, and Carlos Santana is no exception. Indeed, every great session player I've ever worked with all have a comprehensive grasp of music theory. That's not to say that a proficient musician is thinking about theory while they are playing; but you must first learn the concepts and develop your ear, and ultimately commit all that information to muscle memory through practice, until you can access it verbatim without thinking. There's no faffing about in music, especially if your aim is to be a good improv player; even if the illusion is that one is "breaking the rules".

Knowledge is freedom, in all things, life and music.

Cheers!

I love the idea of more educational content and getting to know the community more and perhaps getting more involved in the community.

For the content itself, it could be useful to organize the content in high-level categories like this:
  • Instrument Mastery
  • Music Theory
  • Tech
Instrument Mastery
Everything related to mastering play and use of the Linnstrument. "Physicality of playing", two handed techniques, fingering, holding the instrument, patterns, lick of the day.

Music Theory
Everything related to music theory. This might not differ much from any other music theory learning beyond visualizing some of the theory on the Linnstrument.

Tech
Everything related to crafting great sounds for use with the Linnstrument. Deep dives into patches, split and global settings, etc.

Existing Linnstrumentalists could cover a range of experience levels, from complete beginner to experienced musician. Content organized in this way could help focus on the relevant content. Everyone that picks up the instrument would probably be interested in the instrument mastery content, how to hold it, standing vs sitting, posture, etc.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Fontaine: Thanks so much for the collaboration offer! I posted this publicly to put a little pressure on myself because I've been thinking about doing this for a while but find the work involved a bit dissuasive. You are a far more accomplished musician than me and if you want to take this on, I would happily hand the reigns over and support you in any way I could!

One thought I had is that maybe a youtube channel dedicated to community videos about learning the linnstrument where anyone could post videos and any topic they want to would make sense?

JohnTheSavage: Thanks for the feedack! I actually got into playing music after taking a music theory class in high school, so I definitely would be including theory from the get-go! FYI, I'm probably biased in favor of chord-based soloing, but obviously pentatonics are included in that approach, and I am planning on introducing the major pentatonic first for a number of reasons. Relative to the "need for theory" question, I tend to be a "both/and" thinker in this regard. I, personally, enjoy listening to stuff of the more "art noise" side of the equation, where essentially no music theory is really necessary. I personally feel like the same applies to quite a bit of music that is more structured and that is very popular. But if you want to improvise in a style that uses any degree of harmonic complexity and movement, at least some theory is absolutely integral in my opinion. As you say, internalizing it so you're not having to "think" about it much when playing is critical do it well though. Corey Henry says he plays entirely by intuition at this point, but he studied and knows theory extensively.

Jeremy, thanks for the kind words! I totally agree, that context is completely important for effectively learning how to solo over a set of jazz changes particularly. At this point, I am imagining that kind of lesson being quite a bit down the road in terms of what I am planning. It would be amazing if folks like you did a lesson or two on advanced topics like this. If we had a dedicated youtube channel, as a community we could put out advanced and beginner videos at the same time, and people could watch whatever is appropriate for them. It'd also be really cool to see videos on how specific people use the linnstrument, and their technical setups, etc.

I have become interested in how I might work with relative beginners (or beginners to improvising) possibly because my 9 yr. old son started guitar lessons not long ago. Being a clinical social worker who has worked closely with neuroscientists over the years, I am very interested in the psychological and neuroscientific aspects of learning music and am interested in incorporating some of that stuff in there. But I'm guessing the same does not apply to most others who might be interested in teaching others linnstrument stuff.

Thanks to everyone else for the ideas, encouragement and kind words.
Last edited by Reckon104 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I posted this without reading Zachaudioguy's post, which is very much along the lines of what i'm thinking!

Been waiting for over an year, maybe couple of years already for proper LinnStrument videos with simple songs and demonstrations with chords and inversions.
But not just "sliding" smae chord shapes. Looking forward to this!

I am also looking forward to this. If it serves as inspiration, I have enjoyed Oliver Prehn's improvisations lessons for piano. They can be easily transported to Linnstrument, as they are pattern based. https://www.youtube.com/c/NewJazz

Return to “Roger Linn Design”