Is there a way to use linnstrument as a huge step sequencer?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very nice!

Nice.

I built my own 'sequencer' with Five12 Numerology.
Here's a video of Linnstrument controlling 2 instances of fxpansions Geist 2.
Linnstrument set to ch per row in octave settings.
Basically I'm triggering patterns of 16 Geist engines.
And sequencing those live with the Linnstrument.
I also send the midi from the patterns that are playing, back into the Linnstrument for visual feedback.
z-pressure for the filter of the snaredrum.
y-modulating a phaser on another engine.

https://vimeo.com/176298553

One way a step sequencer could be more than just on-off would be if steps were input at the velocity played. The Roland R8 does it this way, very expressive but you can't program it live, or get any visual feedback. This would be an absolute dream on the Linnstrument!

preferred.nomenclature wrote:One way a step sequencer could be more than just on-off would be if steps were input at the velocity played. The Roland R8 does it this way, very expressive but you can't program it live, or get any visual feedback. This would be an absolute dream on the Linnstrument!
You're going to love what we're building then :-)
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

gbevin wrote:
preferred.nomenclature wrote:One way a step sequencer could be more than just on-off would be if steps were input at the velocity played. The Roland R8 does it this way, very expressive but you can't program it live, or get any visual feedback. This would be an absolute dream on the Linnstrument!
Nice, bring it on....

May I ask when you plan to release the sequencer?

There's a lot of work to do, but I'd say sometime in the next couple of months.

gbevin wrote:
Is it possible this is a release of a new version, Linnstrument 2? I'm asking knowing probably not but I do wonder if there is a new version in the works at all? I think I read that the Linnstrument was released late 2014?

No, the sequencer will be a free software update for all LinnStrument owners and there is no version 2 of LinnStrument in the works. I don't like the idea of pushing people onto a new model by obsoleting the older one because it reduces trust.

Even if we were to improve parts of LinnStrument in future, its modular design permits user-replacement of individual parts. Note that as I improved my AdrenaLinn guitar processor to model II and then III, I offered low-cost upgrade kits to existing owners.

That said, our web site has stated since the beginning our plans for a smaller and less expensive 16-column model, which is why the panel printing only exists up to column 16. But this will be more of a LinnStument Lite than a LinnStrument 2. I'd like to get that model out before too long if possible because there are a lot of people for whom $1500 is too expensive.

Roger_Linn wrote:No, the sequencer will be a free software update for all LinnStrument owners and there is no version 2 of LinnStrument in the works. I don't like the idea of pushing people onto a new model by obsoleting the older one because it reduces trust.

Even if we were to improve parts of LinnStrument in future, its modular design permits user-replacement of individual parts. Note that as I improved my AdrenaLinn guitar processor to model II and then III, I offered low-cost upgrade kits to existing owners.

That said, our web site has stated since the beginning our plans for a smaller and less expensive 16-column model, which is why the panel printing only exists up to column 16. But this will be more of a LinnStument Lite than a LinnStrument 2. I'd like to get that model out before too long if possible because there are a lot of people for whom $1500 is too expensive.
o wow! Thanks for the response. Just knowing your philosophy about this has settled this for me. I'm so glad this is your approach! I've always felt that way about this issue, that it reduces trust.

Any time and price range you care to say for the smaller version? I totally understand if you say no!! :)
Will the "lite" version be the same except for less columns?

I'd like to get the smaller model out before too long if possible. When we do make it, it will be the same except for 16 columns.

Roger_Linn wrote:I'd like to get the smaller model out before too long if possible. When we do make it, it will be the same except for 16 columns.
Thank you! I just bought the Linnstrument.

Can't wait to get it. I'm pretty sure it will be a lifelong instrument for me. Thanks for your integrity. It means everything...

killmaster wrote:
Roger_Linn wrote:I'd like to get the smaller model out before too long if possible. When we do make it, it will be the same except for 16 columns.
Thank you! I just bought the Linnstrument.

Can't wait to get it. I'm pretty sure it will be a lifelong instrument for me. Thanks for your integrity. It means everything...
You won't be disappointed.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

gbevin wrote:
That is exciting!

I'd also love a mode where the Linnstrument could work as a big clip launcher in Bitwig (and Live). I could replace my Push!

I think it's useful to understand that while LinnStrument could possibly be enhanced in future to do simple clip launching in Live, it will never replace Push because Push has a variety of controls and a large display specifically designed for its use as a hardware controller for Live. But more importantly, using LinnStrument as a monophonic 1D controller like Push (or my 1984 Linn 9000) is a waste of its polyphonic 3D technology, and therefore I think few would see the merit in buying a $1500 expressive musical instrument to control the least expressive DAW on the market, Live. Note that Live is unique among DAWs in that it deletes both polyphonic pressure and channel information from incoming MIDI data, both of which are important for expressive musical performance.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”