Arbitrary row offset

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am sure that Linnstrument could be instructed to have an arbitrary row offset value if correctly programmed.
is that something that someone not into Arduino coding at all could easily do?
I am asking because I use my Linnstrument for microtonal music and I would like to experiment with different row offset values besides the available ones.
thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Hi Carlo,

How's it going?

Are you after a different offset per row, or the same for all rows.

Cheers

Andy
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hi Andrew,

long time no see you! :-)

My idea is to be able to offset rows by any number of MIDI steps (offsetting each rows by the same amount).

Best Regards,

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

That shouldn't be too hard, you just need to add +1, +2, +8, +9, +10 and +11 to the existing values.

Is that correct?

Cheers

Andy

Andrew,

I would have liked someone more expert than me to tell me that something like that could be tackled by a "mathematically challenged" like me.

Thanks for asking,

Carlo

Andrew,

I would have liked someone more expert than me to tell me that something like that could be tackled by a "mathematically challenged" like me.

Thanks for asking,

Carlo

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, I can have a go at coding it for you but I need to understand exactly what you want.

Would +1 to +12 semitones offset be what you want, or do you need negative offsets, or offsets larger than 12?

Andrew,

it would be very kind of you to do it!

Ideally, considering that "the default setting is +5", having 2 buttons that every time they are pressed increase/decrease that value by +/- 1 would be preferable than having other presets but, if that is not possible, +9 would be interesting for me and I explain why: one of the tuning systems I use is Carlos Alpha that divides a perfect fifth (ratio 3:2) into 9 equal steps (77.995 cents each), so a +9 row offset would allow me to have perfect fifths going up or down.

Well...at least I would like to experiment if that could be helpful.

Best Regards,

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Ok got you.

Probably the best bet is to try to implement it in the same sort of way that they have implemented other "extended" ranges, for example to have an custom pitchbend range you hold down the +24 button and then slide your finger left and right to change the value. The +24 pitch bend button then turns blue to indicate you have a custom value.

I will look at doing the same thing for offset with the "No Overlap" button.

This is probably the best bet as The linnstrument guys then may add this to the main codeline so it would also be available in any newer updates from them.

This may take me a time to do but as a start today I can get you a "bodged" version that changes maybe the "GUITAR" setting to +9, would that be useful?

Hi Andrew,
the guitar row offset, for me, is useless so it could as well be used for a +9 one
thanks in advance!

Best,
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

I have emailed you, I'm not sure if you have the same email address....

Andy

Hi Carlo,
A couple of thoughts come to mind:
1) You can have any row offset you want without modifying the code. To do this, set MIDI Mode to Channel Per Row, which sends each row over a unique MIDI channel. Then in your DAW or other MIDI application, add the desired offset to the pitch of each channel (row). Note that selecting none of LinnStrument's Row Offset options results in a row offset of zero.
2) I'm not sure what your goal is but you may find that a row offset of +9 isn't very useful because it makes it very difficult to achieve common chords. For example, it's nearly impossible to play a simple major triad with one hand. If your interest is trying it out in order to learn whether you like it, you can do that with the $10 Musix Pro app for iPad.

Hi Roger,
what I am asking for has only meaning if you intend to use a Linnstrument for tuning systems other than the usual division of the octave into 12 equal parts (see above). What attracted me to it in the first place was its isomorphism and the fact that you could assign different colors to each key. The potential expressivity of the instrument is a big plus, of course, but these considerations about it came afterwards, for me.
I have to try the solution you suggest but only for "educational" purposes (only to try out different row offsets) because I think it would be a big waste of MIDI channels.
In the meantime Andrew sent me something I will have to try first. Wish me luck!

I understand better now. Good luck!

Hi Bob,

I'm also a microtonalist and your proposal to implement arbitrary note offset like the pitch bend is exactly on the money. I would very much like to see a feature like this added. Currently I just try to remember the note relationships as I play.

Chris V

BobDog wrote:Hi Carlo,

Ok got you.

Probably the best bet is to try to implement it in the same sort of way that they have implemented other "extended" ranges, for example to have an custom pitchbend range you hold down the +24 button and then slide your finger left and right to change the value. The +24 pitch bend button then turns blue to indicate you have a custom value.

I will look at doing the same thing for offset with the "No Overlap" button.

This is probably the best bet as The linnstrument guys then may add this to the main codeline so it would also be available in any newer updates from them.

This may take me a time to do but as a start today I can get you a "bodged" version that changes maybe the "GUITAR" setting to +9, would that be useful?

Return to “Roger Linn Design”