Arbitrary row offset

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:00 pm Hi Challtaq,

You can set each of the pad lights however you wish by sending LinnStrument CC messages. This is explained in the Note Lights section of the Panel Settings page. That section also has a link to download an app that does this graphically so you don’t have to bother with sending the CCs.
...true, if I´d buy Ableton incl. Max/Msp

Are ableton and Max/Msp the only things that can send CCs then?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:00 pm You can set each of the pad lights however you wish by sending LinnStrument CC messages...
Being able to do this on the LinnStrument itself is definitely the missing link for me with regards to the LinnStrument's otherwise highly-customizable interface. It might seem like a trivial detail, but seriously, I don't think I'll ever feel fully connected with it as an instrument until I'm able to set the lights up however I want. That kind of aesthetic matters to serious players. Hell, I wouldn't purchase a guitar if it had fretboard markings that I felt were too much or too little or in any way distracting. Just saying...

It seems doable. I'm actually surprised it wasn't a feature at the outset, as part of the scale select functionality.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for microtonal functionality at all; which, in my opinion, is an academic musical exercise at best.

Cheers!
Last edited by John the Savage on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Challtaq wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm
Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:00 pm Hi Challtaq,

You can set each of the pad lights however you wish by sending LinnStrument CC messages. This is explained in the Note Lights section of the Panel Settings page. That section also has a link to download an app that does this graphically so you don’t have to bother with sending the CCs.
...true, if I´d buy Ableton incl. Max/Msp
Sorry-- I just noticed that the maker of that app removed the compiled Mac/Win standalone apps. However, he does state that "the MaxMSP versions will work, you just need to download MaxMSP from cycling74.com, and run it either in the full version or in demo mode."

Your feature request may seem like a small addition, but it's actually a very difficult problem in both code and UI implementation, plus the small number of microtonal LinnStrument users out there want such a large variety of different implementations. (42 EDO? 50 EDO? Where do you find 50 Note Lights On/Off buttons?) As best, the UI would be a kludge that would make it more difficult for non-microtonal players. So we did the next best thing: allowed you to use an external app to set the lights however you wish.

My feeling is that an instrument cannot be all things to all people, and I don't have the resources to make it into all things. So LinnStrument is not a microtonal instrument and I've never claimed it is, but rather an expressive music performance controller. Also, LinnStrument is a MIDI controller and MIDI is not a microtonal protocol. If you'd like to read my statement of guiding principal for new features, you can find it on the LinnStrument FAQ page, "General" tab, FAQ "Can you add this feature?"

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”