Faint high-pitched sound and "bleeding" LEDs

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

Still loving my Linnstrument! However, for a while now, some of the cell LEDs will "bleed" into surrounding cells (some cells which should be unlit show a faint circle of an adjacent lit cell's color). This disappears in low-power mode, so I just left it on that setting and it didn't bother me. But I also just noticed that mine is making a very faint high-pitched squeal (emanating from the unit itself) when I depress the keyboard. The volume varies depending on the cell pressed, and is lower in low-power mode. I can only hear it when it's quiet and I have the Linnstrument close to my ear, so it's not particularly noticeable. I have OS version 1.2.3. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it possibly indicate some kind of grounding problem?

Hi,

I've been experiencing this since I got my Linnstrument! You described both the lights and the hum/squeal that my model does. I wasn't sure if it was common or not though, so I never really brought it up here. Hope there's a fix!

Same here with the noise, haven't noticed the LED thing though.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hello,
same here for both noise and lights. "fun" fact: I suffer from tinnitus on my left ear that is in the same frequency range, so i get to hear the electronic noises that the linnstrument produces really loud :? . I always assumed it was the "Normal" behaviour of the linnstrument, i guess your comments confirm that.
Last edited by theracon on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I did contact them about the sound and Roger Linn tested some devices and said that the noise should only be able to be heard with your ear against the linnstrument.

Maybe some are noisier than others as I can hear mine from a couple of feet away.

I decided to live with it but it still annoys me!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Thanks for the replies! Didn't expect these to be such common issues; I guess I don't have to worry about mine being defective. Perhaps they can be addressed with future firmware updates?

I'm afraid that tiny acoustic noise when you put your ear close up to the LinnStrument is normal and is the same on all units. What you're hearing are subharmonics of the high-frequency switching on and off of the 624 LEDs, as well as switching lots of sensing voltages on and off at high speed for the touch sensing system.

Regarding the faint light of LEDs that should be off, that will be improved in the coming update.

Roger_Linn wrote:I'm afraid that tiny acoustic noise when you put your ear close up to the LinnStrument is normal and is the same on all units. What you're hearing are subharmonics of the high-frequency switching on and off of the 624 LEDs, as well as switching lots of sensing voltages on and off at high speed for the touch sensing system.

Regarding the faint light of LEDs that should be off, that will be improved in the coming update.
Thanks for the explanation, Roger! Glad to hear the faint LEDs will be improved.

same problem here(i think) with the cells "bleeding" :)
some cells show a faint dot!

i think it got better with updates but its still there sometimes

glad to here its not a hardware problem...or could be?

Yes, some off LEDs will still be very slightly lit. We improved it in software earlier this year, but I'm afraid it's as good as it can be. Most people find it so dim that it isn't objectionable. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Thanks for the answer! since your updates its really not an issue anymore! and thanks for the linnstrument!! loving it!!! :)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”