Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
gbevin
KVRist

402 posts since 16 Nov, 2009, from Belgium

Postby gbevin; Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

Echoes in the Attic wrote:But to be honest it's a bit more frustrating when examination of how some software/hardware combinations are met with disinterest or defensiveness when it should be useful information. That's the main point here I think.

The part of the picture that you don't see here I think is that many of the music instrument companies are actually smaller than you think and have far less people working on the products that you could image, many wearing a lot of different hats. I can tell you that 99% of the information or problems that are reported are actually user error, and a majority of those users take a lot of handholding before being willing to entertain that possibility. This eats up a lot of time that could be used to improve the product and can actually create a never-ending cycle of a decreasing amount of time that is used productively. Your particular scenario could be different (I actually haven't had the time to dig into it in more detail), but please be aware that this really is the exception to the rule. In reality, we all work insane hours even on weekends ("half days", like Roger likes to says, "12 hours") and don't even get close to being able to do everything that we would like to do to improve our products and the integration with others. If some things might be perceived to you as disinterest or defensiveness, please be aware of the context in which you're operating. The previous people we dealt with might have really been taxing on our nerves and patience.
Model 15 app - LinnStrument - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

6121 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

gbevin wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:But to be honest it's a bit more frustrating when examination of how some software/hardware combinations are met with disinterest or defensiveness when it should be useful information. That's the main point here I think.

The part of the picture that you don't see here I think is that many of the music instrument companies are actually smaller than you think and have far less people working on the products that you could image, many wearing a lot of different hats. I can tell you that 99% of the information or problems that are reported are actually user error, and a majority of those users take a lot of handholding before being willing to entertain that possibility. This eats up a lot of time that could be used to improve the product and can actually create a never-ending cycle of a decreasing amount of time that is used productively. Your particular scenario could be different (I actually haven't had the time to dig into it in more detail), but please be aware that this really is the exception to the rule. In reality, we all work insane hours even on weekends ("half days", like Roger likes to says, "12 hours") and don't even get close to being able to do everything that we would like to do to improve our products and the integration with others. If some things might be perceived to you as disinterest or defensiveness, please be aware of the context in which you're operating. The previous people we dealt with might have really been taxing on our nerves and patience.

Yeah fair enough - We're all the same, we get bogged down and there's not enough time in the day and sometimes we get a little moody etc. Human nature...

Edit: I won't respond any more here. There is really no justification for the antagonistic tone such as in the post below, especially in an otherwise useful discussion. I think the matter has been well investigated, thank you.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sat May 13, 2017 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Roger_Linn
KVRian

974 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Postby Roger_Linn; Fri May 12, 2017 7:15 am Re: Software that supports MPE

Hi Echoes,

Geert is correct in that the MPE spec isn't yet approved, but in my view the MMA's seal of approval doesn't matter because MPE is already in use by 50+ synths and all polyphonic expressive controllers. So it's already a standard.

It is not defensiveness for me to not provide support for other companies' products. When you first contacted me about a problem in Bitwig, I was not aware of any such problem and given that it's not my product, suggested that you post about it on the forum, which you did. Given your persistence in believing that I should be doing something about this, I investigated it, learned the cause of the problem and posted it above on Feb 23. So you now understand the problem, I have informed Bitwig of the problem, and you now have the information you need in order to make an informed choice regarding whether to use or not use Bitwig. What more do you want?
digimidi
KVRer

13 posts since 8 Aug, 2004

Postby digimidi; Mon May 15, 2017 3:41 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

One thing I would like to see VI manufacturers add to their synths is a overriding global pitch bend setting to make it easier for MPE controllers to use preset patches without having to edit each and every single one. This has been a problem for quite a while, as midi guitar controllers have had to deal with this issue in the past. Does anyone have a suggestions on where to post a centralized request for this, or would this need to be asked for each and every VI company out there? Does anyone else even think this is a good idea?

Gil

Gil Gowing
Digimidi Technical Services
Roger_Linn
KVRian

974 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Postby Roger_Linn; Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

Hi Gil,

I agree it's a good idea. It's already in Logic, MainStage and the iPad apps that Geert wrote for Moog, but it's really up to each maker. I have already suggested it in my "How to add MPE" page, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page.
Straight2Vinyl
KVRist

139 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Postby Straight2Vinyl; Wed May 31, 2017 10:42 am Re: Software that supports MPE

Good news. Amplesound appears to be investigating adding MPE functionality to their products. They make some fantastic guitar and bass vst instruments, so I'm hoping they add MPE in a future update.

viewtopic.php?f=245&t=474241&p=6797125#p6797125
Straight2Vinyl
KVRist

Postby Straight2Vinyl; Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:00 am Re: Software that supports MPE

Synthmaster, which is said to fully support MPE, is on sale until September 5th.
Straight2Vinyl
KVRist

Postby Straight2Vinyl; Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 am Re: Software that supports MPE

The new SWAM Strings bundle is on sale. Last day is today I believe.

https://audiomodeling.onfastspring.com/
48cube
KVRist

96 posts since 4 Apr, 2013

Postby 48cube; Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

The latest version of virtual modular music studio SunVox (1.9.3.) allows mapping of individual modules to separate MIDI channels which opens the door for MPE enabled patches!

Here's a tiny demo of my take on bowed string synthesis in SunVox, 4 instances of MetaModule "SloBo".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-VKxuE_d-s
pdxindy
KVRAF

13717 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

digimidi wrote:One thing I would like to see VI manufacturers add to their synths is a overriding global pitch bend setting to make it easier for MPE controllers to use preset patches without having to edit each and every single one. This has been a problem for quite a while, as midi guitar controllers have had to deal with this issue in the past. Does anyone have a suggestions on where to post a centralized request for this, or would this need to be asked for each and every VI company out there? Does anyone else even think this is a good idea?

Gil

Gil Gowing
Digimidi Technical Services

The u-he synths have a lock function on most parameters... so Right click on pitchbend value and select 'lock' then it stays as set when you switch presets.
Tj Shredder
KVRian

1036 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

The free DAW Ardour is dealing with MPE information also correctly. I also made a little scripter for Mainstage/Logic, which allows to quickly setup MPE for any monophonic synth. I would like to make a little Video demonstartion. @gbevin, which tools did you use for creating that LinnStrument/Cubase video?
48cube
KVRist

96 posts since 4 Apr, 2013

Postby 48cube; Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

Synthmaster One for iOS is out and with MPE support from the start. Tons of features and presets and neat things like optional CC74 mapping to CC1 to work with most of ModWheel optimized presets.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synthma ... 53266?mt=8
John the Savage
KVRist

159 posts since 28 Mar, 2017

Postby John the Savage; Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:30 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

48cube wrote:Synthmaster One for iOS is out and with MPE support from the start. Tons of features and presets and neat things like optional CC74 mapping to CC1 to work with most of ModWheel optimized presets.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synthma ... 53266?mt=8

I've seen a few preset-only demo's of this app thus far, but I've yet to see a proper overview of the actual synth engine and mod-matrix in action. I'm not crazy about the look of the GUI to be honest, but obviously I haven't tried it yet, so I'm reserving judgment until I see a more comprehensive demo. Looks promising though. Most iOS synths don't have enough modulation routing for me. I guess we'll see...

Cheers!
NightMachines
KVRer

23 posts since 10 Jun, 2018, from Cologne, Germany

Postby NightMachines; Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

I bought SynthMaster One for my iPad Air 2 with iOS 11.4 and unfortunately it keeps crashing and stuttering when I use it with the Linnstrument. Can anyone confirm this on their iDevice?

I hope they get that figured out, because I like the Mod Matrix which lets you quickly set up your MIDI modulation and there are lots of presets to play with too.
jsterne
KVRist

45 posts since 25 Jul, 2010

Postby jsterne; Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 pm Re: Software that supports MPE

Audio Damage Quanta looks promising. I’ve been messing with the demo. So far, it’s rock solid.

https://www.audiodamage.com/collections ... 046-quanta
PreviousNext

Moderator: Roger Linn Design Mods

Return to Roger Linn Design