Software that supports MPE

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jsterne wrote:Audio Damage Quanta looks promising. I’ve been messing with the demo. So far, it’s rock solid.

https://www.audiodamage.com/collections ... 046-quanta
I’m really intrigued by this synth. I wish it would operate standalone though. Looking forward to the app version...

Cheers!

I’ve added Quanta to the Recommended Sounds Page. Thanks for the tip.

Quanta is pretty good actually, simple gui and sounds good. I played with the demo today for an hour and think I will get it. I'm a great fan of Kaivo but Quanta is just simpler to get good sounds out of even though it doesn't have the breadth.

The thing that did confuse me is that in the mod matrix an octave for pitchbend is 10, not 12. Whoever decided on that idea should be sacked.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote:Quanta is pretty good actually, simple gui and sounds good. I played with the demo today for an hour and think I will get it. I'm a great fan of Kaivo but Quanta is just simpler to get good sounds out of even though it doesn't have the breadth.

The thing that did confuse me is that in the mod matrix an octave for pitchbend is 10, not 12. Whoever decided on that idea should be sacked.
What DAW are you hosting it in, Bob?

Cheers!

Logic on a Mac. Are you Mac or pc?

BobDog wrote:Logic on a Mac. Are you Mac or pc?
I’m a PC guy and Ableton user. But I make my living on the road mostly, as a hired gun, so hardware is where I spend most of my time and energy. As a guitar player primarily, the LinnStrument has been a Godsend when it comes to synth work (which I also get hired to do fairly regularly), but I’m still looking for the ideal MPE setup. I’ve been using Animoog and Model D on an iPad thus far, but I don’t care for the kludge of peripherals I need to make that happen (namely the iConnectAudio4+). Anyway, obviously I’d prefer a hardware solution, but I’ve been considering investing in a Surface Pro to run a software synth instead. But what DAW to use? I gave up on Bitwig. That’s a rhetorical question by the way, no obligation to answer (wink).

Cheers!

I have a surface pro 4 here, two core i7. They aren't bad little things, I use it as a work laptop really.

If I get a bit of time today I will test Quanta in Ableton on the surface today and see how it goes.

The "obvious" solution for a live rig from my perspective would be MainStage, but you need a mac!

I'm not sure of any equivalent on windows, I guess Ableton is probably the best bet.

BobDog wrote:The "obvious" solution for a live rig from my perspective would be MainStage, but you need a mac!
Ya, I know (sheepish grin).

The truth is, I don’t want to use a computer at all, but I don’t really have the luxury of waiting for a proper, comprehensive hardware solution to crop up either. It’s the aesthetic of the laptop onstage that I’m trying to avoid as much as anything; hence why I’m currently using an iPad, and why I’m considering buying a Surface Pro: no screen!

I have several colleagues who use MainStage and swear by it, but I’ve just no interest in buying a MacBook, and I’m not a fan of Apple’s ever-changing hardware protocols. I need ports, not dongles! I’ve already adopted that hassle with the iPad. Anyway...

Let me know how your Surface Pro performs. Thanks, Bob.

Cheers!

P.S. There is a software platform being developed for Windows called “Camelot” that’s supposed to rival MainStage. But then, life’s what happens to you while you’re waiting for your ship to come in, right (smirk)?

Sorry I forgot all about the surface, I will get round to it.....

BobDog wrote:Sorry I forgot all about the surface, I will get round to it.....
No obligation, Bob, seriously... If you get to it, great; if not, no worries.

Cheers!

BobDog wrote:I'm a great fan of Kaivo
Thanks for the tip. That's very expressive with the Linnstrument. Which makes sense since as Roger notes on on the Recommended Sounds page they also make the SoundPlane MPE controller.

I picked up the Volt iOS app from Numerical Audio which is supposedly built for MPE. I'm having an issue with it... Wrote the developer but haven't heard back yet. Wondering if anyone else who has tried it has made it work.

http://numericalaudio.com/volt/

Every 8th note in a row I play the pitch bend range is off. So, play 7 notes and everything works fine until the 8th note and then a glide of an octave for example only moves the pitch about a half step. It repeats every 8 notes. I changed the number of voices to a number other than 8 and that did not have an effect. My LinnStrument works with Animoog and other MPE apps so it's not that...

Anyway, $10 hopefully not lost! It sounds nice enough fwiw.
Last edited by Pulse Emitter on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pulse Emitter wrote:Every 8th note in a row I play the pitch bend range is off.
My guess is that you've assigned LinnStrument's Per-Note Channels to be 1 through 8, but assigned the Volt's Per-Note Channels to be 2 through 8 with a Main (common) channel of 1. As a result, every 8th note will be sent to channel 1 and therefore use the different bend range of the Volt's Main channel, which is probably set for 2 semitones (intended for a Bend Wheel) instead of MPE pitch slides (usually 24 or 48 semitones).

Thanks very much for your reply Roger, it was very helpful. I've figured out a work-around. Volt only has two MIDI modes, "Regular" and "MPE". In Regular you pick a MIDI channel, in MPE you can't. So based on your thought I set the LinnStrument's Per-Note Channels to be 2-9 instead of 1-8 and that did it. If there is a way to fix this in Volt's settings I have yet to find it, but I'll keep looking. Thanks much again. Now I can get down to making some sounds with this fine sounding app.

Daryl

The official MPE specification states that the channel assignments should be one of the following:

1) Main channel 1 and per-note channels 2-16

2) Main channel 16 and Per-note Channels 1-15

However, most MPE implementations don’t use a Main channel and many let you choose your per-note channels. It appears that Volt is using #1 above. In LinnStrument's left split, if you select the Per-Split Settings > column 1 > MIDI Mode and hold down Channel Per Note, it will set the Main channel to 1 and per-note channels to 2-8.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”