LinnStrument Firmware Public Beta : v2.1.0-rc1 (with touch animations)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
gbevin
KVRist
402 posts since 16 Nov, 2009 from Belgium

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 am

Hi everyone,

We've got a release candidate of the LinnStrument firmware, version 2.1.0-rc1.

Please let us know if you tried this release candidate, even if it's just to say that everything is working fine.

The firmware installers can be downloaded from here:
linnstrument-firmware-2.1.0-rc1-macos.dmg
linnstrument-firmware-2.1.0-rc1-windows.zip

These are all the changes since v2.1.0-beta4:
  • Added sequencer play and sequencer pattern previous/next to the custom foot pedal options.
  • Added MIDI NRPN control for sequencer play, pattern previous/next and pattern select.
  • The internal tempo is now preserved across LinnStrument restarts.
  • Improvements to the calibration procedure.
These are all the changes since v2.1.0-beta3:
  • New Feature: added CELL touch animation that only lights up the cell that a finger is touching. This is now the default for all new firmware installations, upgrades will still preserve the previous touch animation even if it was set to SAME or the pre-2.1.0 default.
  • Improvement: touch animations are slightly sped up.
  • Improvement: the fourth/highest "All Settings" preset (on the right side of the Preset screen) is now configured by default for playing auto drumbeats on the left split and auto bass lines on the right split, as shown in the LinnStrument Introduction video at 4:36.
  • Improvement: added self-healing capability to the calibration data in case of poor calibrations.
  • Bug fix: the sequencer's Event Edit sliders (lower right of sequencer screen) would sometimes not return from the numeric display when a touch was released. Now fixed.
These are all the changes since v2.1.0-beta2:
  • New Feature: Touch animations now respond to pressure and loop for as long as a touch is down.
  • Improvement: Expanding touch animations are limited to two to avoid the whole surface filling up.
  • Improvement: Touch animations are prevented from lighting the control switches.
  • Bug Fix: Split selection wasn't properly displayed on the touch animation configuration screen, fixed.
These are all the changes since v2.0.2:
  • New Feature: You can now turn on light animations that surround and emanate from the played note pads.
    The animations are SAME (notes of same pitch are lit on other rows, as existed in previous versions), Crosses, Circles, Squares, Diamonds, Stars, Sparkles, Curtains, Blinds, Targets, Up, Down, Left, Right, Orbits.
    In Per-Split Settings > Color column, hold PLAYED. Swipe L/R to select option.
    Note from Roger: My favorite is "Sparkles" and in white, because the shorter duration of each light in the animation doesn't obscure the note lights as much as the other animations, and white is less distracting from the note lights than a bold color like red.
  • New Feature: in Assign Switches, permit SUSTAIN and CC65 to be reassigned to any CC, and independently for the 4 switches.
    In Global Settings > Assign Switch columns, hold SUSTAIN or CC65. Swipe L/R to select option.
  • New Feature: additional Panel/Foot Switch options have been added, selected by holding Tap Tempo then swiping L/R:
    1) Legato: While switch is on, notes or chords are sustained after release until the next note or chord is played.
    2) Arpeggiator latch: While switch is on, each pressed & released note will be added to the arpeggiated chord.
    3) Preset -: The Preset number shown in Preset screen is decremented.
    4) Preset +: The Preset number shown in Preset screen is incremented.
    5) Pitch slide on/off: Reverses the selected state of Per-Split Settings > Pitch/X column > On. This is useful, for example, to quickly switch between smooth pitch slides and semitone slides as on a guitar.
    These assignments are independent for the 4 switches.
    To select any of these, in Global Settings > Assign Switch columns, hold TAP TEMPO. Swipe L/R to select option.
  • New Feature: For Low Row's CC1 and XYZ=16-18 options, as well as for the CC Fader options, you can now select Channel Pressure in addition to the CCs 0-127.
    In Per-Split Settings > Low Row columns, hold either CC1 or XYZ=16-18, then swipe all the way to the right.
    In Per-Split Settings > Special column, hold either CC FADERS, then swipe all the way to the right.
  • New Feature: added support for negative row offsets and inverted guitar tuning.
    In Global Settings > Row Offset columns, you could previously hold OCTAVE then swipe L/R to select any row offset from 0 to 16. Now the options include -16 to -1 and -GUI (inverted GUItar tuning).
  • New Feature: added support for a configurable start value for the CC value sent when Per-Split Settings > Timbre/Y column, Relative is turned on. Previously it was always 64. Now it can be any value from 0 to 127. For example, if using Y-axis to add a modulation amount, this now permits the value at first press to be zero, then increased by tilting your finger forward.
    In Per-Split Settings > Timbre/Y column, hold Relative. Swipe L/R to adjust value.
  • New Feature: Previously, turning on Left-Handed Mode (Global Settings > Column 1, 4th note pad from bottom) would reverse the pitch direction (R to L instead of L to R). Now you can reverse the pitch direction for one split only, permitting mirrored split tunings.
    In Global Settings > column 1 > hold the 4th note pad from the bottom and Swipe L/R to select one of 3 options:
    1) REV: reverse pitch direction of both splits (same as previous versions).
    2) REVL: reverse pitch direction of left split only.
    3) REVR: reverse pitch direction of right split only.
    Note that you must press the note pad to turn it on for the pitch reversal to be on.
  • New Feature: Channel Per Row mode's channel order can now be reversed, permitting for example the highest row to send on channel one and lowest on channel 8. This is useful when using some guitar synthesizers that prefer the high E string to use channel 1 and the low E string to use channel 6.
    In Per-Split Settings > MIDI Mode column, hold ChPerRow. It will light in the accent color to indicate reversed channel order.
  • New Feature: The Step Sequencer now responds to MIDI Song Position Pointer messages, thereby maintaining correct sync position if DAW is started from a position in the song other than the start.
  • New Feature: Previously, if the Arpeggiator was on and LinnStrument was synced to an external source, the Global Settings button would blink 1/4 notes. Now it also blinks if Arpeggiator is on and using internal tempo. This helps by showing you the Arpeggiator tempo before you start playing.
  • Improvement: Previously if using One Channel mode and you played two note pads of the same pitch, releasing one of them would terminate both notes, because MIDI only permits one note of the same pitch per channel. Now the heard note is terminated only after releasing both note pads.
  • Improvement: When synced to external MIDI clock, LinnStrument no longer also sends MIDI click. This prevents MIDI clock loops with external DAWs.
  • Improvement: Incoming MIDI handling and response to external MIDI clock are now more reliable.
  • Improvement: The 4 All-Settings Presets (on the right side of the Preset screen) now store and recall the status of the Split button, as well as which split is current selected.
  • Improvement: When changing the MIDI Mode (in Per-Split settings), zero values are sent for the X, Y and Z messages, thereby preventing the external synth from adding the last-sent One Channel and Channel Per Note values.
  • Improvement: A rare bug exist in version 2.0.0 and later that causes the upper 2 note pads in columns 4 and 5 to stop working, due to some function erroneously overwriting the calibration values for these note pads. If it occurs, it is fixed by resetting Calibration values to defaults (hold Global Settings + Switch 2 while connecting power.) We think we may have fixed this but aren't sure because we can't yet reproduce the bug in earlier versions. As a protection, the software now checks all calibration values on power-up and if any are out of legal range, resets the Calibration to default values, indicated by the Global Settings > Calibration note pad appearing in red.
    If anyone has experiencing this problem with the upper 2 note pads in columns 4 and 5 not working, it would be very helpful if you could tell us what functions you were using shortly before the problem appeared, and even better if you found a list of steps that would reliably cause the problem to occur. Thanks.
  • Bug Fix: Previously, there were small inconsistencies in quantized pitch bend ranges. This is now corrected.
  • Bug Fix: Previously, if Split was on, and a panel switch was assigned to Arpeggiator, is was sometimes impossible to turn the Arpeggiator on/off using the panel switch. This is fixed.
Model 15 app - LinnStrument - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals

mijiti
KVRer
9 posts since 16 Apr, 2017

Re: LinnStrument Firmware Public Beta : v2.1.0-beta2 (with touch animations)

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 am

Only played with it for an hour or so, but it works great for me...Enjoying watching the touch animations - I like the velocity sensitivity :)

(Strangeness on the first use - I had previously been using a 'normal' split layout, and after the upgrade the right hand split would show the 'normal' split mode briefly before switching to strum mode. Explictly switching that split to strum mode and then back to normal fixed it, but I thought you'd like to know!)

Thanks!
Martin

gbevin
KVRist

Re: LinnStrument Firmware Public Beta : v2.1.0-beta2 (with touch animations)

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks for the report Martin, do you remember which firmware version you upgraded from? Did you set up anything apart from the standard settings on the right split before upgrading?
Model 15 app - LinnStrument - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals

gbevin
KVRist

Re: LinnStrument Firmware Public Beta : v2.1.0-beta3 (with touch animations)

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 am

We made some improvements to the touch animations and released 2.1.0-beta3.

These are the changes since v2.1.0-beta2:
  • New Feature: Touch animations now respond to pressure and loop for as long as a touch is down.
  • Improvement: Expanding touch animations are limited to two to avoid the whole surface filling up.
  • Improvement: Touch animations are prevented from lighting the control switches.
  • Bug Fix: Split selection wasn't properly displayed on the touch animation configuration screen, fixed.

Chick Sangria
KVRist
59 posts since 13 May, 2016

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:05 am

"additional Panel/Foot Switch options by holding Tap Tempo: Legato, Arpeggiator latch, Preset -/+, Pitch slide on/off"
Thanks once again for implementing what users have been asking for some time. <3

lionscub68
KVRian
719 posts since 30 May, 2007 from Syracuse, NY, USA

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm

playing for 20 minutes and so far, so good! the animations are interesting... until I get into fast passages.
Here's a suggestion: RANDOM animations. :D
Velocity response is fantastic.
~Robert D

lionscub68
KVRian

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:23 pm

OH
And thanks for the godsend of variable CC's for the switches and foot controllers. been desiring that for quite a while!

gbevin
KVRist

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:26 pm

lionscub68 wrote:playing for 20 minutes and so far, so good! the animations are interesting... until I get into fast passages.
Anything you would change to the animations for the fast passages? Did the maximum of two active expanding animations not help? Which one were you using?
lionscub68 wrote:Here's a suggestion: RANDOM animations. :D
~Robert D
You means randomly selecting one of 14 each time you play a note?

lionscub68
KVRian

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 am

gbevin wrote:
lionscub68 wrote:playing for 20 minutes and so far, so good! the animations are interesting... until I get into fast passages.
Anything you would change to the animations for the fast passages? Did the maximum of two active expanding animations not help? Which one were you using?
lionscub68 wrote:Here's a suggestion: RANDOM animations. :D
~Robert D
You means randomly selecting one of 14 each time you play a note?
The limit of two expansions *does* help some, but for those of us who rely on the note markers to keep our place (not unlike a guitar player relying on the fret dots to know where they are), the animations can throw me off. But with more practice a can work around it. I actually wish the animations were faster (or adjustable/random) in how they disperse.

And yes, I mean randomly selecting one of the modes per note. Maybe it would be too busy for some, but chaos is king when you're being silly on stage.

One thing I meant to mention before, Geert, was that I had already been using MIDI feedback to the LS in my live rig. I do notice a slight increase in response, so that's great. Moving on:
I usually play two synths and the LS (plus a few surface controllers: Launchpad and LaunchControl XL as a mixer for Live). Point being when I'm not playing the LS but playing the keys, I have MIDI feeding back into the LS so the audience has something more to look at (namely, what I'm playing on the keys.... ooooh, flashy lights). It gets silly when I slide my fingers across the whole keybed with both hands, like an organ intro or harp wash of notes.
The tie-in here, is: incoming MIDI doesn't trigger the animations, or at least it's not happening for me. Any way to enable this, or is it too silly of a request? This isn't too far off from asking before if we could trigger hidden messages feature, by MIDI command.

digimidi
KVRer
19 posts since 8 Aug, 2004

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Am I missing something? Where are the beta docs on how to work with these new parameters?

Gil

gbevin
KVRist

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:42 pm

digimidi wrote:Am I missing something? Where are the beta docs on how to work with these new parameters?
They're briefly summarized in the list of changes.

Roger_Linn
KVRian
1125 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 am

digimidi wrote:Am I missing something? Where are the beta docs on how to work with these new parameters?

Gil
Hi Gil,

Sorry about that. I've rewritten the new feature list to be easier to understand.

48cube
KVRist
102 posts since 4 Apr, 2013

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks for the update! So far so good here but I'm not using sequencer at all. Love the animations!

BobDog
KVRian
545 posts since 2 Apr, 2015

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:41 am

Somehow I have missed this thread!

Thanks for the update, lots of good stuff!

BobDog
KVRian
545 posts since 2 Apr, 2015

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 am

A few notes on installation, this is probably due to the hell spawn that is OS X Sierra and maybe just a beta issue?

The DMG and installer app are not signed correctly so will not open or run without jiggery pokery.

The installer doesn't automatically load the firmware file in the folder, I'm sure it used to do this?

Return to “Roger Linn Design”