We've got a release candidate of the LinnStrument firmware, version 2.1.0-rc1.
Please let us know if you tried this release candidate, even if it's just to say that everything is working fine.
The firmware installers can be downloaded from here:
These are all the changes since v2.1.0-beta4:
- Added sequencer play and sequencer pattern previous/next to the custom foot pedal options.
- Added MIDI NRPN control for sequencer play, pattern previous/next and pattern select.
- The internal tempo is now preserved across LinnStrument restarts.
- Improvements to the calibration procedure.
- New Feature: added CELL touch animation that only lights up the cell that a finger is touching. This is now the default for all new firmware installations, upgrades will still preserve the previous touch animation even if it was set to SAME or the pre-2.1.0 default.
- Improvement: touch animations are slightly sped up.
- Improvement: the fourth/highest "All Settings" preset (on the right side of the Preset screen) is now configured by default for playing auto drumbeats on the left split and auto bass lines on the right split, as shown in the LinnStrument Introduction video at 4:36.
- Improvement: added self-healing capability to the calibration data in case of poor calibrations.
- Bug fix: the sequencer's Event Edit sliders (lower right of sequencer screen) would sometimes not return from the numeric display when a touch was released. Now fixed.
- New Feature: Touch animations now respond to pressure and loop for as long as a touch is down.
- Improvement: Expanding touch animations are limited to two to avoid the whole surface filling up.
- Improvement: Touch animations are prevented from lighting the control switches.
- Bug Fix: Split selection wasn't properly displayed on the touch animation configuration screen, fixed.
- New Feature: You can now turn on light animations that surround and emanate from the played note pads.
The animations are SAME (notes of same pitch are lit on other rows, as existed in previous versions), Crosses, Circles, Squares, Diamonds, Stars, Sparkles, Curtains, Blinds, Targets, Up, Down, Left, Right, Orbits.
In Per-Split Settings > Color column, hold PLAYED. Swipe L/R to select option.
Note from Roger: My favorite is "Sparkles" and in white, because the shorter duration of each light in the animation doesn't obscure the note lights as much as the other animations, and white is less distracting from the note lights than a bold color like red.
- New Feature: in Assign Switches, permit SUSTAIN and CC65 to be reassigned to any CC, and independently for the 4 switches.
In Global Settings > Assign Switch columns, hold SUSTAIN or CC65. Swipe L/R to select option.
- New Feature: additional Panel/Foot Switch options have been added, selected by holding Tap Tempo then swiping L/R:
1) Legato: While switch is on, notes or chords are sustained after release until the next note or chord is played.
2) Arpeggiator latch: While switch is on, each pressed & released note will be added to the arpeggiated chord.
3) Preset -: The Preset number shown in Preset screen is decremented.
4) Preset +: The Preset number shown in Preset screen is incremented.
5) Pitch slide on/off: Reverses the selected state of Per-Split Settings > Pitch/X column > On. This is useful, for example, to quickly switch between smooth pitch slides and semitone slides as on a guitar.
These assignments are independent for the 4 switches.
To select any of these, in Global Settings > Assign Switch columns, hold TAP TEMPO. Swipe L/R to select option.
- New Feature: For Low Row's CC1 and XYZ=16-18 options, as well as for the CC Fader options, you can now select Channel Pressure in addition to the CCs 0-127.
In Per-Split Settings > Low Row columns, hold either CC1 or XYZ=16-18, then swipe all the way to the right.
In Per-Split Settings > Special column, hold either CC FADERS, then swipe all the way to the right.
- New Feature: added support for negative row offsets and inverted guitar tuning.
In Global Settings > Row Offset columns, you could previously hold OCTAVE then swipe L/R to select any row offset from 0 to 16. Now the options include -16 to -1 and -GUI (inverted GUItar tuning).
- New Feature: added support for a configurable start value for the CC value sent when Per-Split Settings > Timbre/Y column, Relative is turned on. Previously it was always 64. Now it can be any value from 0 to 127. For example, if using Y-axis to add a modulation amount, this now permits the value at first press to be zero, then increased by tilting your finger forward.
In Per-Split Settings > Timbre/Y column, hold Relative. Swipe L/R to adjust value.
- New Feature: Previously, turning on Left-Handed Mode (Global Settings > Column 1, 4th note pad from bottom) would reverse the pitch direction (R to L instead of L to R). Now you can reverse the pitch direction for one split only, permitting mirrored split tunings.
In Global Settings > column 1 > hold the 4th note pad from the bottom and Swipe L/R to select one of 3 options:
1) REV: reverse pitch direction of both splits (same as previous versions).
2) REVL: reverse pitch direction of left split only.
3) REVR: reverse pitch direction of right split only.
Note that you must press the note pad to turn it on for the pitch reversal to be on.
- New Feature: Channel Per Row mode's channel order can now be reversed, permitting for example the highest row to send on channel one and lowest on channel 8. This is useful when using some guitar synthesizers that prefer the high E string to use channel 1 and the low E string to use channel 6.
In Per-Split Settings > MIDI Mode column, hold ChPerRow. It will light in the accent color to indicate reversed channel order.
- New Feature: The Step Sequencer now responds to MIDI Song Position Pointer messages, thereby maintaining correct sync position if DAW is started from a position in the song other than the start.
- New Feature: Previously, if the Arpeggiator was on and LinnStrument was synced to an external source, the Global Settings button would blink 1/4 notes. Now it also blinks if Arpeggiator is on and using internal tempo. This helps by showing you the Arpeggiator tempo before you start playing.
- Improvement: Previously if using One Channel mode and you played two note pads of the same pitch, releasing one of them would terminate both notes, because MIDI only permits one note of the same pitch per channel. Now the heard note is terminated only after releasing both note pads.
- Improvement: When synced to external MIDI clock, LinnStrument no longer also sends MIDI click. This prevents MIDI clock loops with external DAWs.
- Improvement: Incoming MIDI handling and response to external MIDI clock are now more reliable.
- Improvement: The 4 All-Settings Presets (on the right side of the Preset screen) now store and recall the status of the Split button, as well as which split is current selected.
- Improvement: When changing the MIDI Mode (in Per-Split settings), zero values are sent for the X, Y and Z messages, thereby preventing the external synth from adding the last-sent One Channel and Channel Per Note values.
- Improvement: A rare bug exist in version 2.0.0 and later that causes the upper 2 note pads in columns 4 and 5 to stop working, due to some function erroneously overwriting the calibration values for these note pads. If it occurs, it is fixed by resetting Calibration values to defaults (hold Global Settings + Switch 2 while connecting power.) We think we may have fixed this but aren't sure because we can't yet reproduce the bug in earlier versions. As a protection, the software now checks all calibration values on power-up and if any are out of legal range, resets the Calibration to default values, indicated by the Global Settings > Calibration note pad appearing in red.
If anyone has experiencing this problem with the upper 2 note pads in columns 4 and 5 not working, it would be very helpful if you could tell us what functions you were using shortly before the problem appeared, and even better if you found a list of steps that would reliably cause the problem to occur. Thanks.
- Bug Fix: Previously, there were small inconsistencies in quantized pitch bend ranges. This is now corrected.
- Bug Fix: Previously, if Split was on, and a panel switch was assigned to Arpeggiator, is was sometimes impossible to turn the Arpeggiator on/off using the panel switch. This is fixed.