Hello and a suggestion- chord mode

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New user here- I've spent the last few days getting acquainted, enjoying the learning process in terms of playing as opposed to the programming approach I've been more focussed on. It's a great design and from all the reading I did pre-purchase does exactly what it says on the tin- well done indeed Roger!

With that in mind take this with a pinch of need be...

How about a left hand chord mode, with these keys relating to different variations of chord related to the current key/scale selected. Obviously bends and such with the left hand would then be out of the question but having some simple chord structures for one finger recall might be a nice option? It would require some fudging around root/pitch change, but thinking of it as a bank of eight chords transposable over seven pads across (ie an octave in that scale) might be an interesting concept? Would certainly play nice with the arpeggiator.

Anyways take that as you find it- you've probably had that one before and Ive no idea whether it's viable in terms of the hardware/software, nevermind whether it is something that is attractive enough to consider putting work to. I should probably just get to learning my chord patterns rather than dreaming up shortcuts!

Would be very attractive to me!

Hi t-IB,

We wouldn’t be adding such a feature because the lack of an alphanumeric screen would prevent the required UI. But it's a perfect fit for an external computer application. In fact, the maker of ChordPlayer (an application for Max For Live) is planning to modify it for use with LinnStrument:

http://www.benjaminsoma.com/store/p9/Ch ... 21%29.html

Thanks Roger, his implementation seems to be quite a bit more advanced that what I had imagined. I'll keep an eye out...

It's a little tricky unless the goal is to match the function of simple auto-accompaniment features for kids as found in low-cost Casio or Yamaha keyboards. You'll want to change the key, musical mode, inversion, bass note of chord, complexity/voicing of chord and more, and to have quick access to those controls. In designing LinnStrument, I intentionally didn't add a large and complex control panel and screen because its primary focus is expressive performance of musical notes. But I put all the MIDI hooks in so that people can write any external computer application they desire, and of course open-sourced the operating system.

My early impressions tell me that you've nailed the primary focus, and I completely see the logic in it not having a control panel and screen: it's all about the playing.

Thanks, t-IB. And I do see value in using the left split for Chord Player or other similar computer applications, while using the right side for expressive play. The only impediment is that you currently can't have a unique Row Offset for each split, which is necessary in order to send a unique note number for each note pad in the chord-playing split. I'm working on a solution for that.

I embrace computer-assisted play, but don't wish to lose expressive human performance in the process. I suspect there are a number of creative hybrids that will appear and gain popularity.

I've largely ignored expressive play for the last decade and a bit and therein lies my problem! :hihi:

Also learning the basic chord shapes for the left hand isn't that hard (+5 mode).

To start for the basic chords in C with the lighting set to normal, play the bass note on a lit pad on a row, on the row above play the first lit note to the left, for the row above also play the first lit row to the left of that note. Once you get this going then just add the extra notes for different variations, I find I am limited to 4 notes for a single hand any more and its a two handed job.

For other keys I just use the transpose, I'm sure this probably isn't the recommended way of doing things but it's the way my mind works from the guitar, just shift everything up or down the fretboard. If I don't use the transpose the lights confuse me.

Edit: It's also worth looking at 4 finger guitar jazz chords fingerings on the internet, just remember the pesky 2nd string being off if you have it in +5 mode.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Thanks for the inputs- we think about it in a similar way in terms of transpose; seems easier that way.

So how long does it take to get proficient with chording with left hand while playing melody with right? I'm an experienced guitar player (no issues forming chords on LS) and have some experience with two handed piano, but I am finding it slow going getting proficient with two handed Linnstrument playing... Looking at chordpolypad for iOS!

So how long does it take to get proficient with chording with left hand while playing melody with right? I'm an experienced guitar player (no issues forming chords on LS) and have some experience with two handed piano, but I am finding it slow going getting proficient with two handed Linnstrument playing... Looking at chordpolypad for iOS!

LinnStrumentalist Jeff Moen will soon be releasing on a "Learn the LinnStrument" series of videos, which he very nicely simplifies to 3 accompaniment chord shapes. Here are some of his LinnStrument videos:

http://www.jeffmoen.com

I'm personally not so good at two-handed play but in general I think it's largely a matter of practicing a particular song or phrase over and over until the simultaneity feels natural. Then do it with another song/phrase, then another, then eventually your mental database is large enough to automatically play a variety of chord patterns on the left while soloing on the right.

Inspired by Jeff's videos. Thanks!

Lukesleepwalker wrote:So how long does it take to get proficient with chording with left hand while playing melody with right? I'm an experienced guitar player (no issues forming chords on LS) and have some experience with two handed piano, but I am finding it slow going getting proficient with two handed Linnstrument playing... Looking at chordpolypad for iOS!

It's taken me a while, I got a linnstrument when they first came out and I'm at the stage I would be happy to take it out and play a gig.

I'm a guitar player so in the layout the linnstrument was easy to pick up but the playing with two hands was a little alien to me. After a while though I found myself playing nicely with two hands, it came as a shock as to begin with I was sure this wasn't going to happen.

I'm now far more proficient on the linnstrument that the standard piano keyboard and I have been trying to learn that for years! The main thing I still have trouble with is velocity consistency at the higher end, this is still a struggle.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”