Release Velosity

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't find out how to set the parameters for the release velocity. The specs sheet says "Note Off with release velocity", but I cannot find anything in the manual.
Please help :-)

There are no parameters to set. If you release quickly, it sends a high release velocity. If you release slowly, it sends a low release velocity.

Ok. And which Midi CC nr is used?

In the MIDI standard, MIDI Release velocity is not in a CC but rather in the Note Off message, just as Strike Velocity is in the Note On message.

I use mainly the Omnisphere 2. I try to make the release velocity influence the ADSR Release value. Is this possible? And if: How?

I'm sorry but I don't know Omnisphere 2 so I don't know how it assigns release velocity or if it does. Perhaps someone else does? Note that few synths permit the use of release velocity.

I see. Suggestion: How about giving the release velocity of the LinnStrument the same choises as Y and Z have got. This would enable us to let the RV control lots of parameter in different synths :-)

I'm sorry but I see no need to redefine the MIDI specification. Note that LinnStrument does not permit Strike Velocity to be reassigned to a CC. LinnStrument does permit Y to be assigned to CCs because the standard for Y-axis control is CC74, and permits Z to be assigned to a CC because the standard for breath control (used for note loudness) is CC2.

Note also that Release Velocity is used by very few musicians and implemented in very few synths.

If you would like to see my guiding principal for adding features to LinnStrument, search the FAQ page for "can you add this feature".

Ok, thanks for your quick replies anyway. If I find out how to use release velocity with Omnisphere, I will add it to the thread :-)
Best regards,
Finn

I'm pretty sure Omnisphere doesn't support release velocity.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

If you really want this feature, you can edit or get someone to edit the firmware and add a CC to each note off, I chose Release Time CC 72, i.e. simply adding

Code: Select all

queueMidiMessage(MIDIControlChange, 72, velocity, channel);
before line 2032 in ls_midi.ino (function void midiSendNoteOffRaw) After simply bind it to your instrument like any other CC, standard midi polyphonic expression rules apply of course.

The result will look like this

Code: Select all

else {
  queueMidiMessage(MIDIControlChange, 72, velocity, channel); // pone: send CC72 (Release time) with each note off for unsuporting synths
	queueMidiMessage(MIDINoteOff, notenum, velocity, channel);
  }
}
I suggest you/your someone bother to figure out how to not wipe the calibration with the firmware change, I didn't. It's no end of the world, but still.

Schatvet-Riisager wrote:I use mainly the Omnisphere 2. I try to make the release velocity influence the ADSR Release value. Is this possible? And if: How?
Omnisphere does not have Velocity Note-off in its mod matrix.
Roli's Equator and Strobe support velocity-note-off. Both synths allow to 'sculpt' how velocity-note-off behaves with custom expression curves. This applies to the other 4 MPE controllers like velocity, pressure, slide and pitch-bend.

I would say that just supporting a controller like velocity-note-off is not enough. You need those expression curves. They are essential. Without them a patch can be rendered unplayable, or in other words, modulation can get in the way when you least want it. Those curves help to balance how every modulation assignment is 'distributed'.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

BobDog: That's what I thought too.
pone: wow, this looks quite complicated. Thanks a lot for sharing! I might have som friends who could help me out if I really wanna try this :-)
himalaya: I just installed the Equator. Last time I looked it was only available with the purchase of a Seaboard. Now it's for sale separately. "Lift" works fine, but I cant figure out which CC to send for Z to get the "Press" to respond. Do you have any idea?

Best regards
Finn

MIDI has two messages specified defined for pressure:

1) Channel Pressure, also called Channel Aftertouch, providing one pressure signal for the entire channel.

2) Polyphonic Pressure, also called Polyphonic Aftertouch, providing a unique pressure signal for each note over a single channel.

Equator is an MPE synth. MPE sends pressure as Channel Pressure messages, which makes sense because in MPE, only one note is sent over a single channel.

Thanks again Roger, channel pressure it was :-)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”