Q&A: taking advantage of the split-mode setups.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Q&A: taking advantage of the split-mode setups.

Hello there. I've familiarised myself with other related threads (links below) before staring this conversation. My goal here is to discuss the split-mode setups that already works and uses advantages of the Linnstrument being an expressive and highly configurable MPE controller it is. I enumerate my questions setups in case this thread will grow and will feature different or similar setups.

Here's my question:

Q1:
split mode dream setup #1:
side 1:
MPE synth in "no offset" mode (8 octaves)
side 2:
MPE sample pad (8 rows•4columns=32 of any audio samples: drums, music samples, clips, additional synth sounds, etc).

side 1 setup is pretty obvious - just go to "no offset" in the Linnstrument settings and connect it to any MPE-friendly app.
side 2 setup is mystery to me. I'd be happy to use your help here and take a look at the different approaches and setups.
How to set up side 2 for this?

A: ?

Q2:
side #1 MPE synth
side #2 how do you you use side #2? Any how-to's welcome. Any bizarre clip launcher (sorry Roger) + synth + synth + drumpad + "virtual instrument like Roland sp-404sx but Expressive" at the same time setups are welcome

___
previous related threads

Feature request: per-split control of row offset.
viewtopic.php?f=263&t=473610

Split mode LinnStrument Question - Feature Request
viewtopic.php?f=263&t=474965

Hi dada,

Row Offset is a Global Setting, so it must be the same for both splits. However, your Q1 can be achieved by selecting "No Overlap" because you don't want any overlap on either split. For your "side 2", you want a different sample for each note pad, so No Overlap is ideal because it gives you a unique note number for each note pad.

Regarding your Q2, traditionally a split keyboard is used to play one sound in the left hand and a different one in the right. For example, bass and piano. For on/off switch applications like clip launching, it really depends on your musical needs.

thank you, Roger, but
"no overlap" thing is understood. I am curious about existing DAWs and app synths/samplers quick setups and how-to for Q1 side2.

That’s difficult to answer because there are so many DAWs. Ideally every DAW would permit you to select a different input MIDI channel range for each track, then permit selection of two tracks to record. That would permit recording two MPE splits. However I’m not aware of any that does that yet.

Another nice DAW implementation would be to define the channel range for the input controller’s left and right splits, then include a Record Left and Record Right button on each track. But I’m not aware of any DAWs that do that either.

I do know that logic permits you to record one MPE track and an addition single channel track. This is described on the Panel Settings page, Preset tab, under “all Settings” preset 4, and works with one of the sounds in my logic sounds file.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”