"A fourth touch in a single vertical column is ignored"

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I am considering Linnstrument, reading reviews. I came across this:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ro ... nnstrument (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roger-linn-design-linnstrument)

What it says, among everything else, is this: "a fourth touch in a single vertical column, or that forms a fourth corner of a rectangle, gets ignored".

Is this correct, first of all? If yes, is it possible to change that in settings?

I am more interested in four touches in a column than in the square corners. If you wonder why, one of the tunings I am using on guitar requires that quite often.

Yes, this is true. And no, it can't be changed in settings. It's a physical limitation of the sensor itself. But if you're concerned about this impeding the use of "open" guitar tunings, that would be a moot point unfortunately, because you can't tune each row of the LinnStrument independently like you can the strings on a guitar. The only option in that regard is for a "standard" guitar tuning configuration. You can change the row offset, but that applies to all rows simultaneously.

If anything, I run into the four-corners-of-a-rectangle limitation more often, usually when playing with both hands. Otherwise, I just use a sustain pedal when I need to have more notes ringing than can be played at once.

As a guitar player myself, admittedly I was disappointed at first by the lack of custom tunings, but I've adapted. I just keep my LinnStrument in standard guitar tuning, and I'm more than happy with it. It has liberated me from playing keys when I'm hired to do synth work, and that alone is worth its weight in gold for me (grin).

Cheers!

I agree the 4 in a rectangle was the one as a guitar player that annoyed me the most when I first got the linnstrument, what happened though is I just started using different fingerings than I would on the guitar, this seems to have been an automatic process and now it doesn't annoy me at all because I just don't do it!

Its is actually quite hard to play 4 notes in a column on the linnstrument unless you use two hands.

John, I think it is possible to set the offset of each row now isn't it to get different guitar type tunings or am I imagining it, let me check...
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hmm... That would be news to me, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that (grin). I'm on the road without the LinnStrument right now, so I can't check. Let me know what you find out...

Cheers!

Nope, I must be imagining the offset per row functionality, I can't find any reference to it being implemented anywhere!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

When firmware 2.1 first dropped, I remember reading in the release notes about "negative row offset", and the way it was worded seemed to suggest that we could finally tune each row independently; but that turned out not to be the case... Perhaps that's what you were thinking about.

If only it were true (sigh).

Cheers!

Hi all,
Geert’s currently working on implementing independent Per-Row tuning.

Roger_Linn wrote:Hi all,
Geert’s currently working on implementing independent Per-Row tuning.
Woot! You just made my day, Roger... Thank you!

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”