Reprogramming LED colors by MIDI note #?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I've been using the LinnStrument to work with a 16 tone per octave scale (and it works excellently BTW!). But of course the default lighting scheme is less than desirable. So is it possible to reprogram the lighting to repeat octaves (for example) on MIDI notes 1, 17, 33, etc; notes 9, 25, 41, etc. another color (perfect 5ths); notes 5, 21, 37, etc. another color (perfect 3rds) and so forth? It would be ideal to be able to program at least 8 different colors. The idea is to be able to see the exact location of where the different pitches repeat on the keyboard. I have no experience with the root programming language, but would be willing to dive in a little, if such a lighting scheme could be accomplished! Thanks for any feedback.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You can light the note pads however you like by sending standard MIDI Control Change messages to LinnStrument. To learn how, open the Panel Settings Page, Global Settings tab, then read the text at the end of the Note Lights On/Off section.

I was struggling with this as well, could not figure out how to simply send MIDI CC from Logic Pro to the LinnStrument, but I just downloaded that app by Ben Fuhrman that you link to and I'm up and running!

http://benfuhrman.com/linnstrument-led-controls/

The LinnStrument is a superior instrument for xenharmonic experimentation! Thank you.

Roger, thank you for the heads up to Ben's MAX app. After downloading and fiddling around with it for a while, I've been able to save several keyboard light layouts and load them on the Linnstrument. It's fantastic how the keyboard updates every time I set or change a color in the app. However, I need some further information to get the most out of this setup.

1. After setting up a layout and updating the layout on the Linnstrument, it seems like I have to close Ben's app, or the Linnstrument doesn't seem to work with Bitwig. No problem. I just close Ben's app (and the new lighting scheme stays on the Linnstrument) and then open Bitwig, and it seems to work fine.

2. However, when I unplug the Linnstrument and plug it back in, it seems to have lost the lighting scheme. But what comes up is not the default, but some odd arrangement of cyan lights (probably Cs). As far as I can tell, the only way to get the default led scheme back is to reset the Linnstrument. Am I missing something here?

3. So, is there a way to save lighting layouts in the Linnstrument? Is there a way to save custom layouts and reload at will? Or do I have to run Ben's app every time I want to change the lighting layout. Is there a way, other than a reset to get the standard default LED scheme back, after changing using Ben's app?

Despite my ineptitude, Roger, this instrument is absolutely fantastic for working with my 16 tone, non EDO (equal divisions of the octave) scale! There is nothing that I am aware of that is so extremely flexible. As the Xenharmonic community becomes more aware of this capability, I believe we will begin seeing an explosion of non 12TET music and fascinating musical explorations, impossible without an instrument like yours! Thank you!

Thanks for the kind compliment on LinnStrument!

LinnStrument’s feature is very simple: by sending it a series of Control Change 20-22 messages, you can light each of the note pads however you wish. It does not save your light arrangements, permit editing of them, nor integrate them in any other ways into LinnStrument’s UI or OS. While this does not make it a perfect instrument specifically designed for the Xenharmonic community, it does permit the flexibility to experiment with custom light arrangements. If you wish to change LinnStrument into your ideal Xenharmonic instrument, we have provided the operating system as open-source.

Regarding issues with Ben’s app, you’d have to contact him for that.

Just a quick update...

I realized that I had left some of the programmed lights from global settings turned on, so when the settings from Ben Fuhrman's app disappeared after unplugging the LinnStrument, those global presets reappeared. After going into global settings and turning off all the main and accent lights, the LinnStrument now comes up completely unlit. I then fire up Ben's app, select one of my saved presets, and my lighting scheme instantly appears. I can then exit Ben's app and the lighting scheme remains in effect until I turn off the LinnStrument.

Ben thought there might be some sort of MIDI conflict between his app and Bitwig, which explains my inability to load the LinnStrument when his app is running. But, if I exit the app before opening Bitwig, there is absolutely no problem...everything works fabulously with the new lighting pattern on this fantastic instrument!

Thanks for everyone's help with this issue.

If you wish to prevent Bitwig 8-Track from sending initialization messages to LinnStrument, do the following:
1) Click the Options menu and select Preferences.
2) In the Preferences window, select the Controllers tab.
3) In the LinnStrument section, set Send Initialization Messages to No.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”