MPE is finally a standard now.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.midi.org/articles/midi-poly ... ession-mpe

Just no mention of Linnstrument at the mpe manufacturers list.
Get your company name on there Roger !

Noticed this news item on CDM.
http://cdm.link/2018/02/midi-evolves-ad ... iguration/

Made my day.

MIDI-CI might indeed be more important in the long run. But MPE is here now and it’s actually pretty useful. Let’s hope Linn’s list will expand soon. http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recom ... ounds.html

PHY6 wrote:https://www.midi.org/articles/midi-poly ... ession-mpe

I'm apparently not allowed on the list because I don't pay MMA dues, given that I don't use sysex, which would require an official MMA-issued manufacturer ID. I also wasn't permitted to participate in the spec, even though I was part of the original group that created the initial draft that we submitted to them, which by the way isn't very different than what they ended up with. To do so, I would have been required to pay the MMA $500 per year.

Even though you're not on the list, I just want to congratulate you, Roger, and Geert as well on bringing this to the forefront of innovation in musical expressiveness. I have been following the MPE's progress since initially purchasing my Linnstrument back in 2015, and am really thankful for you guys pushing to have it standardized by drafting the spec and working with companies like Roli and Apple to make more commonly used. Your work will benefit electronic musicians for a long time and I'm really appreciative of it.

Roger_Linn wrote: I'm apparently not allowed on the list because I don't pay MMA dues, given that I don't use sysex, which would require an official MMA-issued manufacturer ID. I also wasn't permitted to participate in the spec, even though I was part of the original group that created the initial draft that we submitted to them, which by the way isn't very different than what they ended up with. To do so, I would have been required to pay the MMA $500 per year.
Well, we know who really did the work (wink)... Congratulations, Roger!

May this be the year of the hardware MPE synth!

Cheers!

Enkerli wrote:Noticed this news item on CDM.
http://cdm.link/2018/02/midi-evolves-ad ... iguration/

Made my day.

MIDI-CI might indeed be more important in the long run. But MPE is here now and it’s actually pretty useful. Let’s hope Linn’s list will expand soon. http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recom ... ounds.html
Shame when you search for it all that comes up is pizzas. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=midi-ci
Last edited by BobDog on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Roger_Linn wrote:
PHY6 wrote:https://www.midi.org/articles/midi-poly ... ession-mpe

I'm apparently not allowed on the list because I don't pay MMA dues, given that I don't use sysex, which would require an official MMA-issued manufacturer ID. I also wasn't permitted to participate in the spec, even though I was part of the original group that created the initial draft that we submitted to them, which by the way isn't very different than what they ended up with. To do so, I would have been required to pay the MMA $500 per year.
We all know who to thank anyway.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Sorry— I made an error in my post above. I didn’t fully read the referenced URL in the original post. The list in the MIDI Association’s article is not their list of MPE-compatible hardware controllers but rather ROLI’s list of MPE-compatible synths, similar to my site’s Recommended Sounds page. So there’s no list to be missing from.

There's a bunch of videos featuring the Linnstrument lower down the page in any case.

Someone complained in the comments about the Haken Continuum also not appearing, and the MMA rep indicated they may well update the list to reflect the non-ROLI controllers.

Roger_Linn wrote:Sorry— I made an error in my post above. I didn’t fully read the referenced URL in the original post. The list in the MIDI Association’s article is not their list of MPE-compatible hardware controllers but rather ROLI’s list of MPE-compatible synths, similar to my site’s Recommended Sounds page. So there’s no list to be missing from.
Would still have been nice if they had credited you, Roger. In some ways, Geert’s tremendous work is recognized as part of Moog. But given the nature of standards bodies, it’s important to document what happened.
It’s also interesting that Thiebault was quoted instead of Supper. My naïve assumption is that the latter was more involved, within ROLI. But that could be completely wrong.
So, thanks for all the good work, Roger! Keep it up!

Thanks, Enkerli. The only reason Jean-Baptitse Thiebaut issued the press release is because that is more his role at Roli whereas Ben Supper is in enginnering. But everyone at Roli are good folks and I’m grateful to them for bringing expressive musical control to a wider audience and for pushing the MIDI Association for an official MPE spec.

When Roli, I and a few others created the first draft of the MPE spec in early 2015, I didn’t see the need for MIDI Association approval because polyphonic 3D expression has been possible since the original release of MIDI, given that guitar synths needed a separate channel for each string. Also, I guessed that it would take them a year or more to approve the spec, and it ended up taking them 3 years. And note that without an MPE spec, there are now 70+ MPE synths and around 10 MPE controllers. But in the end, it’s nice to have an official spec. I just wish the MIDI Association didn’t feel the need to change the MPE acronym from “Multidimentional Polyphonc Expression” to “MIDI Polyphonic Expression”. I guess they wanted to get their name in there, perhaps for legal control. It doesn’t really matter.

Roger_Linn wrote:everyone at Roli are good folks and I’m grateful to them for bringing expressive musical control to a wider audience and for pushing the MIDI Association for an official MPE spec.
Really grateful for your reply, Roger. Helps me put things in context, including the bit about the name change.
Glad that you feature prominently in ROLI’s writeup. It might go without saying that they’d do so, but it’s too easy for some players to misattribute and miscredit.

And, again, thank you for all your efforts. Thanks to you, it’s a great time to come back to “digital musicking”, for a sax player like me. Can escape the “on/off switches” approach which has dominated the industry for so long. In my case, the Eigenharp Pico has been a huge ear-opener. Especially through the work done on the synth side (Equator, Alchemy, Animoog, GeoShred, etc.). My guess is that none of this would have happened without MPE.

Been visiting your page on LS-Recommended Sounds so frequently that my browser automatically shows it in my favourites. Also been sharing it with several people.
At one point, though, that list may not be needed as all devices, synths, and DAWs will fully support MPE. And MIDI-CI.

In the meantime, though, MPE support has been a “dealmaker”, for me. Won’t invest much into anything which doesn’t currently support MPE.
(Which does mean that the Ableton Live 10 announcement was a complete dealbreaker, for me. Might not have purchased a license anyway, but hearing that they’re still not supporting MPE made it clear that my priorities don’t align with theirs).

Thanks, Enkerli. Interestingly, none of Audio Modeling's excellent software instruments are MPE, and neither are any of the sounds in Jeremy Cubert's video on the LinnStrument Product page. It turns to be not so easy to play two or more fingers expressively.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”