Request: Sequencer realtime recording

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Couple of thought while tuning live setup.
Is it possible to make real time overdubbing midi notes in a sequence by playing along upon programmed sequence. Coud be VERY usefull real time perfoming feature. Also nice if 8 trigger (toggle optionaly) buttons could be added to CC faters mode just at the last column of a split.

Hi RO,

Unfortunately you'd need quite a few parameters to correctly implement real-time recording, and I'm afraid LinnStrument's limited panel UI doesn't have controls for that. So any such addition would be a kludge and inadequate. The Step Sequencer is a simple bonus feature to an instrument whose primary function is expressive musical performance control.

ok :))

I meant just that played note will be recorded in the current step if i play over.. no other parameters. ok :)) Thank for reply.

I think you're saying the following:

"I'd like to see realtime recording into the Step Sequencer. For example, I would enable real time recording mode using a non-printed parameter somewhere in the Step Sequencer screen. If enabled, then when the View is set to Notes and the Sequence is Playing, then any notes I play will be recorded into the sequence using a Quantize value equal to the selected Step Size."

Is this what you're thinking?

Regarding your request for "8 trigger (toggle optionaly) buttons could be added to CC faters mode just at the last column of a split", that feature already exists as a toggle. Simply set one split to one column width and the row's single pad will toggle on (127) or off (0).

Yes, Roger it is correct definition for what i mean.
Wow, thank you for describing this toggle feature, very useful! But those switches are still same controllers as in fader mode or it is possible to make them send separate CCs?

Regarding real-time recording into the Step Sequencer, I don't think it makes sense to change a Step Sequencer into a real-time recorder, especially considering that there will be no printed Record button on the UI. Plus, people will then ask for many other features that are usual in a real-time sequencer. I'm afraid it was always intended to be merely a simple Step Sequencer.

Regarding CC Faders, if the Split has 2 or more columns, the rows act as variable CC faders. If the Split has only one column, the rows act at CC switches, toggling between 0 and 127. Either way, you can assign any row/fader to any CC#. This is explained the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, "CC Faders" heading.

I have experience with recording and correcting sequence on the fly with Beatstep Pro. Ability to rewrite steps make very smooth technique for changing harmony on the fly, correcting it part by part. Many complicated things appear that cannot be programmed by mind just by inserting steps manually. Programming same thing on step basis is much more slow. Without record button it can be selectable mode for sequencer...f.e holding pad for note mode switches on real-time mode...
I suggested it because it is really useful if we concentrate on real time performance. Very similar behavior KeyStep Pro`s sequencer has also, and it makes this small keyboard very useful for controlling real-time synth performance...

I agree that real-time sequencing is a good thing. I enjoy using Logic, Ableton and others. And I rarely use LinnStrument's Step Sequencer. The problem is that LinnStrument's Sequencer is a Step Sequencer and converting it to a real time sequencer requires more than adding an unlabeled parameter, but rather adding the needed features to make it a useful real-time sequencer.

Also, note that LinnStrument is not a sequencing product but rather an expressive musical performance instrument that happens to contain a simple step sequencer.

If you'd like to see the guiding principal that I use for deciding which features get added, search the FAQ page for "Can you add this feature".

Note that while a number of users had asked for the Step Sequencing feature, so far you are the first to ask for real time recording.

Allright :)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”