Linnstrument with Omnisphere on Reaper

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I configured omnisphere to run on reaper using the instructions in this video:

https://youtu.be/SDLAZ2jTskk

The only difference is I set it to use 8 channels instead of 4:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lxxLeBbjonAYWBog2

Per the recommended sounds page, I have the linnstrument set to ChPerNote. In omnisphere, I cloned part 1 to all 8 parts.

When I play a single note on the linnstrument, it appears to be sending on all 8 channels, as all 8 tracks light up in reaper. I'm thinking that is not correct.

And if I hold one note, but bend another, it sounds "off." Like something is not right.

Any ideas?

Also, Z and Y axis do not appear to be working. How do I configure them?

Thanks!

In general, you will probably find that watching videos that have nothing to do with LinnStrument will produce results that have nothing to do with LinnStrument. Instead, I suggest you follow the instructions for Omnisphere on the LinnStrument Recommended Sounds page. And also in general, it's a good idea to start your search for answers on the LinnStrument Support page. There you will find descriptions of all panel settings, how to hook it up, a very useful Getting Started tutorial, the Recommended Sounds page, an explanation of MPE, help on creating sounds, FAQs, videos, tips and tricks, MIDI details and much more.

Please also read the FAQ I suggested about why MPE isn't very useful for most types of sounds, and also read the "LinnStrument's Smart MIDI" page, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page. On that page, please carefully read the description of one-channel mode, and notice that there is very little you can't do in one-channel mode. The other advantage of starting in one-channel mode is that you can enjoy playing music on your LinnStrument instead of spending many hours trying to solve MPE problems. Or if you feel compelled to focus on MPE, please load Bitwig and follow the simple instructions for using their MPE sounds. Then once you become more familiar with MIDI and the practical needs for MPE, you will be better able to get the answers you seek.

As Roger says, you should look at all the support documents and manual. There is a section there about how to setup Omnisphere: http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recom ... ounds.html

Reaper can also handle multi channel midi on one track so you do not need loads of tracks like shown in that video you can just use a single instance of omnisphere on one track.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Thanks! I setup reaper with one track, and that solved the problem. I was making it way too difficult following that video.
:)

I do appreciate you putting up with my dumb newbie questions. I'm new to the linnstrument, midi, omnisphere, and DAWs in general, so this has been an adventure for me.

No worries, StyleBuck. Thanks for valuing Linnstrument enough to own one.

That said, I think the online documentation is pretty good and geared to getting answers fast, so it's a good idea to take a quick look at it when a question pops up in order to save yourself time.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”