playing chords with audio modeling SWAM

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
StyleBuck
KVRist
54 posts since 14 Mar, 2018

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm having trouble playing chords with audio modeling SWAM instruments. If I press all notes of the chord down at EXACTLY the same time, then the chord will play. But if I'm even slightly off, then only the note that was most recently pressed plays.

Is there any way to resolve this?

I'd also like to play two parts at once, one with the left and one with the right, but that also doesn't work due to the same issue. Only the latest note pressed plays.

Thanks!

StyleBuck
KVRist

Re: playing chords with audio modeling SWAM

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm

I should mention that I followed the instructions on the recommended sounds page.

StyleBuck
KVRist

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Never mind. I found the answer in the user manual for swam. It's under the poly setting:

https://www.swamengine.com/manuals/stri ... Manual.pdf

Apparently you can only play two notes at a time on the strings. This means I'm limited to 2 note chords. And if I want to play two parts at a time, the best way to do this is to go in split mode and bring up two instances of the virtual instrument.

Roger_Linn
KVRian
1034 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Audio modeling instruments are all monophonic except the bowed strings, which permit a maximum of two voices. Why? Because that’s the nature of the acoustic instruments they are modeling so perfectly. (You can read about this on their web site.) And this is a good thing because the exceptional aural authenticity comes largely from the legato transitions between monophonic notes. Further, there is little need for their high-quality solo expression if you’re playing ensemble parts, because ensembles don’t play expressive solo parts.

The above said, if you want to play chords, simply create multiple instances and assign each channel to a separate instance. You’ll lose those beautiful legato transitions and you’ll probalby find that it sounds more like a sample library.

SneakyT
KVRist
42 posts since 12 Dec, 2016

Post Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I too wanted to be able to do some polyphonic playing of the swam strings. I ultimately set my Linnstrument up to channel per row then did multiple instances of the swam instrument set to a separate corresponding midi channel. With this type of setup you can retain the nice legato transitions as long as you play on the same row but still get full polyphony when desired. Takes a bit to get used to but works quite well for playing live parts. I still use multi track individual instruments for recording but for writing and performing it can be a nice workaround.

I've also setup a full string quartet with each instrument (Bass, Cello, Viola, Violin) corresponding to two rows with some mixed results.

PS I'm looking to get a apple pencil soon to start using Pen2Bow for my iPad pro. The demo looks quite cool for doing quick bow work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx9e-xlwBGI

SneakyT
KVRist
42 posts since 12 Dec, 2016

Post Wed May 09, 2018 7:28 pm

For those of you on logic that don't know how to do this let me give you a link.
https://www.logicprohelp.com/instrument ... -channels/

Return to “Roger Linn Design”