Percussa SSP

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Linnstrument people. I just wanted to start a thread about the Percussa SSP eurorack module. I believe it may be the first hardware synth on the market that has both MPE support and a USB host port. I have owned a Linnstrument for a few years now and I very recently became a Percussa SSP owner. I noticed that the SSP isn’t mentioned on the official Roger Linn list of compatible hardware synths so I’m posting to say that it works and works well, all control dimensions are translated to the SSP over USB.

To give you a rough idea the SSP is a self contained modular system with a graphic digital patching environment, and includes oscillator, wavetable, sampler, granular modules to name a few.

I’m not affiliated with Percussa in any way but would like to see this small company excell and so I wanted to share with other Linnstrument owners, particularly any who are also into eurorack modular.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

We need to see more things like this come to fruition in the MPE hardware domain. The price does make me a little leery though. Not that I don't think it's worth it. It's just that, being a relatively small-scale, independent, kickstarter project, well... Let's just say, I've been out on the proverbial bleeding-edge at my own expense far too many times, and would feel a lot more confident spending this kind of cake on something that is more likely to be supported for a long time to come. But the specs, form factor, and overall functionality, projected or otherwise, looks brilliant.

Is the project completely finished? Did they meet their "stretch goals"? Does it feel solid?

Regardless, I'll be watching this closely from here on out...

Cheers!

It is the same guy behind AudioCubes, he has been going for quite a while.

I have a set of the Cubes, neat things.

The SSP is an interesting thing, exactly the sort of thing I have been toying with developing for years. He has managed to get past a bench full of dev kits and wires though which unfortunately I have not!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

John the Savage wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 am
Is the project completely finished? Did they meet their "stretch goals"? Does it feel solid?
The Kickstarter is finished and the units from the Kickstarter have all shipped. I actually ordered mine at full price after the Kickstarter units had been fulfilled. The wait was about a month in my case.

I believe all of the stretch goals have been implemented but some are still receiving updates and added functionality. Bert and Celine are active on their forum answering feature requests and updates have been coming out weekly, since I started paying attention. From a material standpoint it feels solid, I’ve screen, good jacks, good clicky buttons, good encoders. The method of patching the digital modules takes a minute to learn but is very sensible once you get the hang of it.

Thanks for the tip, Dark Barn. I've just added the Percussa SSP to the LinnStrument Recommended Sounds page. In fact, the developer Bert Schiettecatte is a friend and very bright guy.

Dark Barn wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:28 pm
John the Savage wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 am
The Kickstarter is finished and the units from the Kickstarter have all shipped. I actually ordered mine at full price after the Kickstarter units had been fulfilled. The wait was about a month in my case.

I believe all of the stretch goals have been implemented but some are still receiving updates and added functionality. Bert and Celine are active on their forum answering feature requests and updates have been coming out weekly, since I started paying attention. From a material standpoint it feels solid, I’ve screen, good jacks, good clicky buttons, good encoders. The method of patching the digital modules takes a minute to learn but is very sensible once you get the hang of it.
Thanks for the info, Dark Barn. I definitely like the overall design of this: i.e. the host ports, the SD card reader, the direct recording aspect, multiple synthesis methods, etc... I mean, really, the concept of this module is the perfect match for controllers like the LinnStrument.

Again though, quite the investment when you consider a case, power supply, output module, and whatever other utilities may prove necessary to interface with the rest of the world (at least for how I would be using it anyway, live onstage, integrated with other hardware). I'm gonna have to think on this, but I'm genuinely intrigued.

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”